TPMS & Spare Tire Questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Lttlcheeze

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Big Horn
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I have a '12 Ram 1500. It has a steel wheel spare, and TPMS in all 4 of the Alum (plastic covered) wheels. I am replacing all the TPMS sensors soon with the next tire change.

Questions:

1. Will it mess up the system adding a TPMS to the spare, since it's in close proximity to the rear wheels?

2. Can I add a TPMS to the steel spare?

3. If not, can I knock the plastic cover off an extra stock rim & hang it under the rear (I already know the spare hanger won't fit thru the plastic)?

Thanks,
Bill

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk

ram1500rsm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have TPMS sensors on all 5 wheels. I run a full matching wheel/tire setup and do 5 point rotations. i don't have any issues with the tpms so i doubt you'll have regardless where the spare is mounted. Mine sits strapped to the truck bed.

OP
OP
Lttlcheeze

Lttlcheeze

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Big Horn
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I have TPMS sensors on all 5 wheels. I run a full matching wheel/tire setup and do 5 point rotations. i don't have any issues with the tpms so i doubt you'll have regardless where the spare is mounted. Mine sits strapped to the truck bed.
What year?
Did your truck come with 5x TPMS?

ram1500rsm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
What year?
Did your truck come with 5x TPMS?

it's a 14 and i don't know if the spare came with one. I just paid to have one installed in my 5th wheel cause i didn't want to bother taking the truck to Americas Tires everytime i switched that wheel after a rotation. it was like $60 or $120 i don't remember.

stimpy433

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
It shouldn't bother anything since it's not rotating so it won't activate and be read. I don't see why you'd bother unless you did a matching spare that you would rotate on to the truck regularly.

OP
OP
Lttlcheeze

Lttlcheeze

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Big Horn
Engine
5.7 Hemi
It shouldn't bother anything since it's not rotating so it won't activate and be read. I don't see why you'd bother unless you did a matching spare that you would rotate on to the truck regularly.
That's a very good point.

I got a flat today n have the spare on. Since I can't see the pressure and i got the flat, I'm being overly paranoid about the pressures. But normally I don't think about it. And since i can't hang the OE plastic covered rim underneath, I'm not going to worry about it.

Thanks for the replies everyone.

Robert Fassett

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yeah - If it’s not rotating the system will ignore it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk