Trade my 15 Express for either 12 or 13 Longhorn??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Cobra2top

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Big Horn Brilliant Black Crew
Engine
Here the deal, I'm missing the features I use to have on my 2013 300c. It was fully loaded and I traded to a Express Crew with 8spd and Ra2. Love the truck over sedan by a mile!

A dealer has a 2013 crew Longhorn with I think 6spd (shifter on console?). Problem is 85k miles. They also have a 2012 longhorn with 35k. Both are similar $$. Started thinking......

Am I dumb to want to switch? My 15 has 14k easy miles. Maybe the weather today (14 degrees on way to work) is not helping. Heated everything and remote start would have been so nice.

Thoughts? Suck it up and enjoy my from new Express or go with comfort?? Lower mile 12 or high mile 13?? Really like the interior of the 13 over 12 but 50k more miles, is it worth it???

fordtech90

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I would honestly say just hold on to it for at least a year then re evaluate the situation. Just remember the next time you buy one to get all the bells and whistles.

lonestar21

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Ram 1500 Big Horn
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I wouldn't do it, you would loose a lot of money all around, first one your trade, then being trucks your looking at are older you will have more problems because of it in the long run which will cost you even more money.
My bet is you wait a couple years and then reconsider trading but at this moment it wouldn't be a smart decision.
Specially going back to an older trucks just for extras.
I would Stick to your new truck

clh1220

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
You will loose money and could end up way upside down in a loan. I can't see a upside to a deal like that.

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I would just keep the express and maybe look into having those features you want added instead of buying an older truck with more miles

avantiguy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi
Heated seats and remote start should be pretty straight forward in the aftermarket or OEM if you peruse the site. Probably best to go with an aftermarket radio with the bells and whistles you want. That way you aren't giving up a truck with low mileage under full warranty for a higher mileage unknown.

Probably no more that $1-1.5K for everything and you know what you have.

JMHO, Bob

ICEChargerRT

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Most of the difference in trim levels can be done with mods. Do the mods that you want then enjoy the new truck for a few years.

Mpgrimm2

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 (5th Gen)
Engine
5.7L
You can upgrade that ra2 to an RA4, we have a thread for it. Add factory remote start, there is a kit. You can add the upper glove box, steering wheel audio controls, and backup camera easy and many of the other upper trim options if you are willing to buy the parts and install some of needed wiring.
First 2 things I added were the oem remote start and Backup Camera in the radio (ra2 can display it also).
You truck has the 8 spd which is already a big improvement over a 2012 or newer truck with a 6 speed. No brainer, Keep it.

Sent from my LG G4 on Tapatalk.

Graygoose

Indecisive Car Owner
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Convert, for now.
Engine
small
Keep what you have!

xrsman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 Ecodiesel
I'd say keep it and mod the one you have. It's pretty easy to add remote start, you can get a heated steering wheel & seats pretty easily too. If you want Nav you can upgrade that as well.

R/T_Fire

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The money you will loose in the transaction you could put remote start in, Katskin leather with seat heaters... and a better stereo.... But at the same time comfort is also worth something... my question is are you upside down on your current loan or own it outright? What would the payment difference be if any... really the only thing that is different is value of one to the other. Will your express depreciate more with the same age of what your buy being that it is older?

I'm kinda inclined to say just keep it and get it how you want it... if you are planning on getting something different in 3-4 years or less, swap out to the fully loaded version.

JKibz36

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 V8 Hemi
I would hold on to what you got and just go balls to the wall on add ons.

OP
OP
C

Cobra2top

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thanks for the insight. I was having that damn, why didn't I get what I want but at the time the budget called for a Express. Now the budget improved and my eye started to wander when a friend pulled up in his new Durango Limited. I got behind the wheel and I saw all the "stuff". Even little things like touch points, I noticed. My Express has solid plastic door panels, his along with anything Big Horn and up have soft touch panels. Again, minor but gave me that ugh feel. I clicked over to the website my buddy got his Durango more to see what they go for and saw the 2 used Longhorns

I think I will just hang tight. I know I can add a RA4, remote start, back up camera, and heated leather for around $2k. Just thinking the what if scenario. These trucks seem to last a long time but 85k miles even if totally highway is too much for my driving. I already have 14k and it's not a year old yet. I'd be up to 150k before I know it on the 13. And although nice, I'm still partial to a 13 interior EXCEPT it would be very easy to upgrade the radio to something with Apple play......

TarPaper

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Sport Black Edition 1500
Engine
Hemi V8
U only live once...get what u really want...I bought 2 brand new cars that I traded within 2 months...it made me happy...if u r in NJ see my friend over in Flemington...I am picking mine up the end of this week or next...good luck my friend

OP
OP
C

Cobra2top

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
U only live once...get what u really want...I bought 2 brand new cars that I traded within 2 months...it made me happy...if u r in NJ see my friend over in Flemington...I am picking mine up the end of this week or next...good luck my friend

I do like your idea to be honest. It's kind of where I was earlier today. My ideal would be a black sport like in your signature. We will see......I have to take it in for a oil change this week and may peak my head into a few 16's. Who knows, won't hurt to ask!

Csanders1992

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Depending on how good of a deal you got on your express you may not loose to bad on it. It never hurts to see what they are willing to do.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TruckNut

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I wouldn't go for the older trucks--you'll lose money. Hold on and start scouting for an end of year close out sale when the '17'*****. Timing is EVERYTHING when purchasing, so be patient and know your numbers well. I've done a lot of car buying and no time better to buy, than the end of the month during a snowstorm, ha ha.

OP
OP
C

Cobra2top

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I wouldn't go for the older trucks--you'll lose money. Hold on and start scouting for an end of year close out sale when the '17'*****. Timing is EVERYTHING when purchasing, so be patient and know your numbers well. I've done a lot of car buying and no time better to buy, than the end of the month during a snowstorm, ha ha.

Yeah, I bought my black express the last day of March and it was also truck month. Signed the papers at 9pm!

Good advice though. Will still snoop around tomorrow and see what they have. Who knows, most likely will be bringing the express home after the oil change but crazier things have happened.

OP
OP
C

Cobra2top

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
That was easy! I took the ram in for a oil change and walked the lot looking for the Long horns. The 12 was spotless but after driving it, the interior was not doing it for me. It's nice, but not enough to give up my 15 for. The 13 was also nice but it looked it was ran pretty hard. Happy to say even after 85k miles, it cleans up well and the interior looked great. Just the outside showed some wear. It must have seen some construction site miles.

The thing that mostly did it was the 6 speed. I drove both (both 6 spds) and I guess I'm use to the 8 spd. It just felt like my truck stays in the right gear all the time. The 6 spd to me was not as smooth. I had the truck for 1/2 day and my mileage around town was 13.5. Same route I'm getting 16.5 in my truck. Those extra 2 gears in my opinion are a deal breaker.

So the 15 is still here and something about the free wash and armor all on the tires that oddly had me forget I wanted more features. The truck cleans up so nice! As I was approaching I wondered to myself what was I thinking. The thing looks great. Also since I have had it with 8 miles on the clock, I know I baby it. Something to be said for that for sure!

Thanks again for the advice. Maybe a leather kit and RA4 is in my future......

TarPaper

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Sport Black Edition 1500
Engine
Hemi V8
U have a beautiful truck...u do what feels right and enjoy urself...I have done some crazy stuff in my life with cars...I truly hate myself for all the money I lost...lol