Traded my 17 Laramie for a new 21 Laramie Sport yesterday

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tidefan1967

Supporting Member
Reaction score
With the crazy trade in values they've been giving lately I couldn't hardly resist. The dealer gave me $34K for mine and I have an accident on the Carfax which hurt the value significantly the last time I checked. (I checked Carvana last fall and they offered me $22K.........) I basically had to pay close to sticker except for $1500 in rebates but the biggest thing for me was talking them out of the Add-ons. I got the factory steps, tinted windows, wheel locks and other add-on BS for no extra money which is hard to do with the FCA dealers around here even though I had to drive 100 miles to find a color I wanted with the options I wanted or didn't want. I have heard that all rebates will be suspended for the foreseeable future until further notice because of the shortages. My dealer had seven new 1500's on the lot and said he wasn't getting anymore new ones in until July at the earliest.

BC9CF122-5D96-4026-A0D9-A55BB9A367FC.jpeg

Purplert

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Yessssss another 4th gen to 5th gen trade lmao. Curious on your first impression?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

OP
OP
tidefan1967

tidefan1967

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yessssss another 4th gen to 5th gen trade lmao. Curious on your first impression?

I've rode in a 5th gen many times and was super impressed with the interior and the ride, both were noticeably better than my 4th gens. After driving one it was amazing how much better it drove than my 17 did. It has the same exact setup (3.92s, RWD, etc)but it felt alot quicker on its feet. Honestly it was the best driving vehicle that I've ever the pleasure of getting behind the wheel of and that's both cars and trucks. The exterior needed time to grow on me and it did but it took awhile. The 4th gen still looks better but everything else it has going for it more than makes up for the look even though the Patriot Blue does look rather good.

14 Lonestar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Very nice, I too recently went from a 17 to a 21 and as you stated the ride is so much better. I am not saying that the ride on the 4th gen was bad, it just feels smoother.

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Ram 1500 Limited 4X4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Good lookin’ truck, man. Those new ones still got a lot of growing to do on me but with the lifetime warranty I couldn’t refuse that they no longer offer, they’ll just have to keep drooling over my current one as trade…lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
tidefan1967

tidefan1967

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Good lookin’ truck, man. Those new ones still got a lot of growing to do on me but with the lifetime warranty I couldn’t refuse that they no longer offer, they’ll just have to keep drooling over my current one as trade…lol.

That was my only regret, cashing out the lifetime warranty.

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
That was my only regret, cashing out the lifetime warranty.

Besides; I’m not saying you didn’t by me saying this but I dotted all my i’s and crossed all my t’s when I shopped for a truck so, I for once in my life got everything in a truck that I wanted so when I got it, I was in it for the long haul, that’s why I just can’t just let it go for a new body-style that I’m just really not fond of- unless it was one of the new HD’s with that new 8-speed hemi; I’d have one of those in a heartbeat but then again, a half-ton is all I need. Really don’t even need that, as I came awful damn close to turning my attention to a fully loaded, same color, or blacked out R/T Durango with the 392 but hey, I still like trucks. Lol.

But I’m curious… they didn’t refund you on your lifetime warranty? I thought I had read on here somewhere that if you decided to opt out early, which is basically what you did on your lifetime warranty that they would prorate some of that amount back to you… I take it they didn’t do that?

Treburkulosis

Your High End Detailer
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Lonestar Edition converted over to a Sport
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Congrats nice looking truck!

14 Lonestar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I had the max care on my Ram I traded, the dealer refunded the remaining difference after a brief phone call with Mopar.

OP
OP
tidefan1967

tidefan1967

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Besides; I’m not saying you didn’t by me saying this but I dotted all my i’s and crossed all my t’s when I shopped for a truck so, I for once in my life got everything in a truck that I wanted so when I got it, I was in it for the long haul, that’s why I just can’t just let it go for a new body-style that I’m just really not fond of- unless it was one of the new HD’s with that new 8-speed hemi; I’d have one of those in a heartbeat but then again, a half-ton is all I need. Really don’t even need that, as I came awful damn close to turning my attention to a fully loaded, same color, or blacked out R/T Durango with the 392 but hey, I still like trucks. Lol.

But I’m curious… they didn’t refund you on your lifetime warranty? I thought I had read on here somewhere that if you decided to opt out early, which is basically what you did on your lifetime warranty that they would prorate some of that amount back to you… I take it they didn’t do that?

I got back roughly $1400 which is half what I paid for the warranty. I just went ahead and rolled that money into the down payment on the new rig that way I didn’t have to wait on them to mail me a check.

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I got back roughly $1400 which is half what I paid for the warranty. I just went ahead and rolled that money into the down payment on the new rig that way I didn’t have to wait on them to mail me a check.

I guess that’s better than nothin. I guess if I was to trade my baby in for something newer, I’d be looking at about 2 grand back if I got half but you would think they’d be a little more incentive at a time like this.

HandyCruiser

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi (no e-Torque)
Very nice truck. What is FCA?
Fiat Chrysler Automobiles US (FCA) is an Italian-American conglomerate that makes and distributes Chrysler, Dodge, Ram Truck, and Jeep vehicles. FCA belongs to Stellantis N.V. which is a Dutch multinational automotive manufacturing corporation that was formed in 2021 based on a 50-50 merger between the Fiat Chrysler Automobiles and the French PSA Group. It is headquartered in Amsterdam, Netherlands.

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Fiat Chrysler Automobiles US (FCA) is an Italian-American conglomerate that makes and distributes Chrysler, Dodge, Ram Truck, and Jeep vehicles. FCA belongs to Stellantis N.V. which is a Dutch multinational automotive manufacturing corporation that was formed in 2021 based on a 50-50 merger between the Fiat Chrysler Automobiles and the French PSA Group. It is headquartered in Amsterdam, Netherlands.
Actually since the formation of Stellantis, FCA in itself is no more so hopefully all these nimrods that like calling our vehicles Fiats will finally quit saying that. Unfortunately Chrysler is still owned by a foreign company but hopefully now that Fiat is dropped from the name, Chrysler and everything contained within it can just be known as Chrysler like all the other brands that Stellantis owns.

I don’t know, it kind of seems to me that the main reason why so many people assumed Chrysler vehicles were Fiats was because Fiat just had to put their name in front of Chrysler‘s name which I guess is somewhat understandable because anybody who knows anything about that “so-called” merger between Chrysler and Fiat was no merger at all, it was just made to look like that when in reality all that happened was Fiat bought out Chrysler but made it look like it was a merger.

HandyCruiser

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi (no e-Torque)
Actually since the formation of Stellantis, FCA in itself is no more so hopefully all these nimrods that like calling our vehicles Fiats will finally quit saying that. Unfortunately Chrysler is still owned by a foreign company but hopefully now that Fiat is dropped from the name, Chrysler and everything contained within it can just be known as Chrysler like all the other brands that Stellantis owns.

I don’t know, it kind of seems to me that the main reason why so many people assumed Chrysler vehicles were Fiats was because Fiat just had to put their name in front of Chrysler‘s name which I guess is somewhat understandable because anybody who knows anything about that “so-called” merger between Chrysler and Fiat was no merger at all, it was just made to look like that when in reality all that happened was Fiat bought out Chrysler but made it look like it was a merger.
You are correct. Since all the paperwork on my new truck (and the new truck itself) still having FCA on it, I assumed FCA became an auto group under Stellantis. But that's not the case. FCA IS Stellantis. On 16 January 2021, after FCA and PSA both having approved the merger on 4 January of the same year, the merger was complete with FCA resulted as a surviving entity and changed its name to Stellantis. o_O

PS: I didn't care much for Chrysler when ran by Lee Iacocca. I did like what Daimler did with it. And I'll say I liked with FCA did with it even more. While FCA, as a corporation, survived the merger and became Stellantis, I still believe the PSA folks run the show. So it will be interesting to see what they do with the Mopar brands going forward.

Last edited:

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
You are correct. Since all the paperwork on my new truck (and the new truck itself) still having FCA on it, I assumed FCA became an auto group under Stellantis. But that's not the case. FCA IS Stellantis. On 16 January 2021, after FCA and PSA both having approved the merger on 4 January of the same year, the merger was complete with FCA resulted as a surviving entity and changed its name to Stellantis. o_O

PS: I didn't care much for Chrysler when ran by Lee Iacocca. I did like what Daimler did with it. And I'll say I liked with FCA did with it even more. While FCA, as a corporation, survived the merger and became Stellantis, I still believe the PSA folks run the show. So it will be interesting to see what they do with the Mopar brands going forward.

From what I looked up last night, FCA is gone there is no more FCA at all. And as far as who actually runs the show, I was under the impression that both Peugeot and Fiat were the main two corporations that merged that actually formed Stellantis so that all the companies Fiat owned and all the companies Peugeot owned are now all subsidiaries… including Fiat and Peugeot, of Stellantis.

But when you start talking about the 80’s, I don’t know a whole lot about that but that show they had on about a month ago on the history channel called the cars that built America or whatever it was called, they had a pretty good four part series that talked about the car manufacturers all the way back to the 1800s until now and from what I gather, Lee Iacocco actually helped Chrysler out a lot from the fiasco they had from the Chrysler cricket that suffered the same problems as the Pinto and I believe it was the Chevette, when he introduced the Cherokee and the mini van. From what I understand, that saved Chrysler from bankruptcy all the way back in those days before the next crisis that was Dodge and the transmission fiasco followed by the even bigger crap-storm… I guess we can’t say the grown-up version of crap?… but anyways, from Daimler Mercedes which lead to the further destruction of Chrysler when they handed them off to Cerebrus like a used up hook-er after running them thoroughly into the ground which is why I find it no question why Chrysler had to be bailed out in 2008 and had to be “partnered” with Fiat in the first place.

Last edited:

TestPilot57

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi

Go take a free test drive if you want to know what it means to you (almost all the differences are subjective).

But IMO, it's like two totally different vehicles. I had a 2015 Sport and went to a 5th Gen 2020 Laramie (Sport Package). Both with 4C Air Suspension.

The '20 is Soooo much more refined I can't really put a rating on it. It's sorta like comparing a Subaru to a Mercedes (not a C-class...)