Tradesman with power wagon package?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Dodge Ram 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have a 2014 1500 I got in 2016 and I am getting the itch for a new truck. All of the talk about broken manifold bolts, lifters and cams have me spooked. So far it’s been a great truck. I got it with 36,000 miles and am now just under 96,000.

I was playing with the Ramtrucks.com site and stumbled upon the Power-wagon Option for most of the stuff that make a Power Wagon a Power Wagon while dropping the fluff I don’t want. I like a KISS system so want to minimize as much of the electronics fluff that’s prone to issues down the line.

With the options I most wanted I can get a Tradesman with the Power Wagon package and options that add to the off-roading and towing for a few hundred less than the Base Power Wagon.

Has anyone done this and is there something that’s offered in the real Power Wagon that’s a game changer that I am missing? Also what would I need to do to run 35/12.5- 17 on the stock wheels? This is what it would look like according to the Ram Build program. I like this better than all the graphics on the Power Wagon.

f8779f6d4905d1d5e31a25bfca39afbb.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

retired

Votes republican and identifies as a he/him
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I almost bought the tradesman with pw package but the pw has a much nicer interior. mechanically they are the same. If you can live with the tradesman interior they are a great deal. they actually have a much better grill than the regular power wagon in my opinion.

OP
OP
Farmingdales Finest
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Dodge Ram 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I almost bought the tradesman with pw package but the pw has a much nicer interior. mechanically they are the same. If you can live with the tradesman interior they are a great deal. they actually have a much better grill than the regular power wagon in my opinion.

With what I saw on the interior with the options I chose it looks virtually identical to my 1500 Big Horn. I am fine with that and prefer the exterior in the photo above.

tron67j

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
The power wagon generally has a reduced payload at times, so pay attention to that. I was just looking at trucks for fun. When I bought mine in 2019 2018 2500 Tradesman) I found quite a few leftover 2018s. Now there are hardly any trucks comparatively and I find used ones with more miles listed for $12k over what I paid for mine. Seems like a bad time to buy right now with inventory so low. I would not worry about broken header bolts (replaced a couple on my 2003, no big deal), the trucks are great. If you like your truck, do some upgrades and enjoy it for a while and maybe look in about 2 years when thing are maybe a little more normal. Good luck.

Scottly

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HO 6.7 Cummins
The power wagon has a taller front suspension. The power wagon uses a different part number on the track bar for this reason. The power wagon has the optional disconnecting sway bar for rock climbing, etc. If you wish to run 35's on it, it will rub unless you lift the front...level kit. Some may chime in and state they run 35's without rubbing, and that may be true if it's gonna be a pavement princess, but the it needs that extra 2 1/2 inches if you go to any amount of suspension compression or it will rub. That's my $.02 and it's worth what you paid for it, YMMV, I'm usually wrong...

retired

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The power wagon has a taller front suspension. The power wagon uses a different part number on the track bar for this reason. The power wagon has the optional disconnecting sway bar for rock climbing, etc. If you wish to run 35's on it, it will rub unless you lift the front...level kit. Some may chime in and state they run 35's without rubbing, and that may be true if it's gonna be a pavement princess, but the it needs that extra 2 1/2 inches if you go to any amount of suspension compression or it will rub. That's my $.02 and it's worth what you paid for it, YMMV, I'm usually wrong...
I am running 35's and have been to moab and mine does not rub pavement princess or not. the power wagon and the tradesman with power wagon option are identical mechanically and will have the similar pay loads.

OP
OP
Farmingdales Finest
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Dodge Ram 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7

The power wagon is taller than the power wagon option for the Tradesman with what they say is the suspension in the description of the package?

retired

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5DBCE900-3C09-4FCC-BA40-E30AA93EDF5F_1_201_a.jpeg
The power wagon is taller than the power wagon option for the Tradesman with what they say is the suspension in the description of the package?
no that is not true. the power wagon and the tradesman with pw option are the same suspension and mechanically wise.

OP
OP
Farmingdales Finest
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Dodge Ram 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If it’s only a few hundred difference, buying the Tradesman will bite you when you sell or trade it. All they’ll look at is the odometer and the trim level. Options don’t mean squat on used vehicle pricing.

I have never bought anything in my life based upon possible resale value. This is the first time in my life I haven’t run the vehicle into the ground. I am seeing local dealers offering the same trim and 10k more miles for about 22-24k. I paid 27 for it in 2016.

I hate the power wagon stickers and the two tone paint job. If I could get the PowerWagon in either all Black or preferably the Delmonico Red as a solid color I would be all over it.

retired

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have never bought anything in my life based upon possible resale value. This is the first time in my life I haven’t run the vehicle into the ground. I am seeing local dealers offering the same trim and 10k more miles for about 22-24k. I paid 27 for it in 2016.

I hate the power wagon stickers and the two tone paint job. If I could get the PowerWagon in either all Black or preferably the Delmonico Red as a solid color I would be all over it.

you can get the black in monotone without stickers and you decals just peal off off any color.

olyelr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
U can order a power wagon without the stickers, or as said above peel them off. The two tone option can be deleted with the 75a package, but not sure you can with the regular power wagon. Unless the truck is black, well, then there will be no 2 tone.

suspension wise and drivetrain wise the tradesman power wagon is the mechanically same as any other power wagon.

A stock power wagon clears 35’s on stock wheels all day long. At the mall or at moab.

2003F350

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
I wouldn't have bought a Tradesman with the PW package when I picked up my '17. There are a lot of creature comforts inside that I wanted. And I actually like the PW grille.

That said, I also love the fact that mine is black. Most people don't even realize it's a Power Wagon, because the decals are ALSO black and don't show up very well, almost like ghost paint.

runamuck

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 dsl
also a PW 2500 has about the same cargo cap. (1300# or so) as my 1500 laramie..so why not get a 1500 PW..wouldnt it run better being quite a bit lighter..just thinking out loud.