Trading up from a 1500, but to what?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TexasRam1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Currently have an ‘18 1500 CC limited. I heard the used car market was hot, so it got me looking into a new truck. For years I’ve said my next truck will be a 2500 Cummins, but after researching I cant figure out the “right” way to go.

I want a mega cab for the extra legroom for passengers, and storage inside the cab. Plus I think it looks better.

With that said, I came to realize that the 2500 mega cab limited CTD has terrible payload and towing ratings. So I started thinking about the 6.4 hemi or a 3500 CTD mega cab limited. Each has positives and negatives, but no one build seems like the sure winner. Hoping y’all can help me sort it out.

2500 Mega Cab Limited, 6.4 Hemi
Good payload & towing ratings. Lowest overall price. Will work hardest when towing.

2500 Mega Cab Limited, CTD.
Terrible payload. Ok towing. Pricey

3500 Mega Cab Limited, CTD.
Great payload and towing. Harsh ride. Most costly.

This is my daily driver. I Work from home, so I put about 10 miles/day on the odo taking kiddos to/from school.

Currently no towing, but we will be replacing our boat soon enough. Last one was about 7000# and the next will be ~10000#. No big trips planned with it in tow.

Two decent length road trips per year, 12 hours each way.

Which way would you go if you were me?

Gondul

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I'd take the 2500 Mega Cab Limited, 6.4 Hemi...
Not towing often or (really) that heavy so no need for a diesel.
I did some number crunching and the gasser was overall cheaper to own/maintain/run than the diesel (for me).
And the engine isn't 'working harder' it is working at it's peak HP/Torque which happens to be a bit higher than that of a diesel engine.

KKBB

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I agree...the 2500 6.4. I have one, always had cummins prior to that. It definitely doesn't tow like a cummins, but it does get the job done. I drive short distance like you do and that is part of the reason I went hemi. Also, living in Iowa I really enjoy the quick warm up of the hemi in the cold months.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
And the engine isn't 'working harder' it is working at it's peak HP/Torque which happens to be a bit higher than that of a diesel engine
The Hemi might have slightly more HP but even the SO Cummins makes more torque just above idle that the 6.4 does at it's peak.

TestPilot57

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Which way would you go if you were me?
To keep this short and sweet - I'm not you, so - no comment.

But really - vehicles are so individualistic (I bet there are over a million configurations of pickups between brands) that you just need to decide what you want. Don't count on your peers, because, for sure, you are NOT going to blame them for any mistakes.

JNelson

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I’d say get the CTD. I’ve had several and they tow awesome. Only problem I see is not driving and towing with it much. I am well pleased with my 6.4 and tow 8-10k with no problem.

Pros- Torque and longevity when maintained
Cons- DEF fluid, DEF system, regen, EGR cleaning, fuel filters, $120 oil changes. And if you get a dually- harder to find a parking spot and buying 6 tires.

Sandevino

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7 eTorque
Take each for a spin and bring the family to have them ride along. I had a 2500 CC Hemi and loved it but my wife (5’ nothing) hard time getting into it. With the off-road package the unloaded ride was harsh and my wife and daughter got car sick quite often. I swapped to a 1500 and there have been minimal access and car sickness issues.

dhay13

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
2500 6.4L Hemi 4.10's 'Off-Road'
2500 6.4 vote for me. Considering you only drive 10 miles a day the Cummins wouldn't be a great choice and towing 10,000lbs won't work that Hemi hard. I tow or 8900lb boat and my step-sons 9300lb TT and had no issues. In fact this spring I towed our boat up a hill we call mile hill. About a 6% grade but probably not quite 1 mile. I was basically stopped at the bottom and had no problem maintaining the 45 MPH speed limit. I even let off 1/2 way up on a curve and had no problem getting back to 45. I get about 9.0-9.5 towing our boat.

Bearcatrp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Go check your state taxes on a 3/4 vs 1 ton. I just bumped up to a 1 ton. $120.00 a year to get my new tabs. I paid over $400 last year on the 3/4 ton. Each state is different. Next, a crew cab has enough room for an ****. No need for the mega cab. If you don't tow, stay with a 1500. If you do, is it a pull behind or a 5th wheel? Found out the hard way a short bed sucks pulling a fifth wheel. Almost took my back window out 3 times. I moved up to a 1 ton 6.4 long bed. 50 gallon gas tank, 8 speed tranny, and saves my rear window. The 8 speed is a marvelous upgrade. Pulls my 10,000 lb 5 wheel a lot better than my 6 speed 3/4 ton. Sure I lost a little gas mileage. Its a 1 ton. Did consider a diesel. After finding out $600 plus for a oil change and fuel filter replacement, plus DEF crap to deal with, I will stay with the 6.4 gas and the 8 speed tranny.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
You're comparing apples to oranges...
I was nearly pointing out that the diesel has gobs more torque than you pointing out a Hemi has slightly more HP. When it comes to towing the higher torque and where it's at in the rpm range makes all the difference. Let's see see what that slightly more HP does against an SO Cummins dragging 12K lbs trailer behind both, guess who will be looking at tail lights.

ramffml

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I was nearly pointing out that the diesel has gobs more torque than you pointing out a Hemi has slightly more HP. When it comes to towing the higher torque and where it's at in the rpm range makes all the difference. Let's see see what that slightly more HP does against an SO Cummins dragging 12K lbs trailer behind both, guess who will be looking at tail lights.

I think you're misreading what he wrote :)

He said that the 6.4's peak torque occurs higher in the RPMs than the Cummins peak torque. In other words (this is my opinion now), we tend to think that because the Hemi revs higher it "works harder", but we shouldn't really do that; the cummins has a much smaller RPM range than the hemi, naturally it won't go past 3000 nearly as often as the hemi, which has a range of double that of the cummins.

I've come to enjoy the sound of my hemi working; for the most part it sits at 2300 rpms when towing, but the occasional hit at 3000 to 4000 is kind of nice, it just sits there for a few seconds while getting up to speed on an on ramp or passing some trucker up a hill etc.

There is no doubt, everybody knows the cummins has way more pulling power. But I have to agree that for the OP's description, the cummins would be a poor fit. It's complete overkill, he gets all the disadvantages of diesel, plus very short distances, plus he doesn't need to use the advantages of the diesel when the hemi will do the same job at less cost and with no real disadvantages. Guys do what he wants with the 1500/5.7, no need for the cummins here.

Last edited:

ramffml

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
For you guys recommending the diesel; your money your choice, but I'm curious at what point would you ever recommend to somebody that they buy the 6.4 instead? Is there ever a scenario where you would say "get the 6.4/2500, not the 5.7/1500, and not the cummins".

Because if very short distance daily driving and towing <= 10,000 pounds isn't that scenario, why would ram even need to offer the 6.4? Do you suggest going straight from 1500 to cummins?

Dean2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500
Engine
I bought the 2500 Hemi because I rarely tow, hate the smell of diesel and see no advantge to diesel over gas for a daily driver, short trips or hunting. Only reason I got the 2500 is I could not get a CC in long box in the 1500. I do however like the much better ground clearance the 2500 has so very happy with the truck overall. I know the diesels resell good but I don't figure on reselling this one either. I still have the 1996 I bought new and that one will get given to my nephew.

Treburkulosis

Your High End Detailer
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Lonestar Edition converted over to a Sport
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I would also vote the 2500 mega cab 6.4. No more driving then you do really makes that one a no brainer. Especially since it wont have any issues towing that new boat!

OP
OP
T

TexasRam1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks for the replies fellas.
Clarifying a few points; definitely getting a 2500. Definitely getting a mega cab.
Engine-wise, still TBD.

Hemi will get the job done, but from what I’ve seen on fuely it is a thirsty power plant.
I do my own oil changes, so adding fuel filters to the mix is no big deal.
I see gasoline prices climbing faster than diesel.
As covid BS, I mean restrictions, propagate more and more, I envision road trips in the future instead of flying.

If i got the CTD and hit the highway once a week, would that keep the emissions systems in check enough to keep things happy?

Dean2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500
Engine
Thanks for the replies fellas.
Clarifying a few points; definitely getting a 2500. Definitely getting a mega cab.
Engine-wise, still TBD.

Hemi will get the job done, but from what I’ve seen on fuely it is a thirsty power plant.
I do my own oil changes, so adding fuel filters to the mix is no big deal.
I see gasoline prices climbing faster than diesel.
As covid BS, I mean restrictions, propagate more and more, I envision road trips in the future instead of flying.

If i got the CTD and hit the highway once a week, would that keep the emissions systems in check enough to keep things happy?
If you are planning to buy a diesel for the gas mileage that is never going to pay for itself. You will never recover the cost differential just to get the diesel, let alone any other costs. The only reason to buy a diesel is if you are towing 70% of the time and then you should be going 3500, because a 2500 with a diesel just is not a good towing setup.

If you want a 2500 that gets great fuel mileage look at the Chev 6.2, but then you have to drive a Chev. If you want to go on long highway trips, have 4x4 etc, check out the Grand Cherokee with the 5.7. Mine does 30 mpg highway, 20 City. You will never get that out of a pickup. Only vehicle I ever bought that consistently exceeds the published fuel mileage.

Write up I did on the Ram Hemi gas mileage

So with 7000 klms on the truck, city, highway and about 3500 k hunting on real bad roads in 4x4 both low and high range the hand tabulated average all all fills currently sits at 16.35 mpg. Best mileage. 22.2 mpg over 500 km, worst 12.2, 400 klms with 350 in low range the other 50 in high range. That is a 60% improvement on my V10 under similar use parameters. Didn't really buy it for improved gas mileage but it certainly is a nice fringe benefit.

This is something I wrote up on the Jeep.

Was in B.C. earlier this week and went car chopping with my buddy. We took a brand new 2021 V6 3.6 litre Jeep Grand Cherokee for a test drive. Penticton to Kelowna return vehicle computer showed 25.6 Imperial MPG. Speeds vary quite a bit from 50 to 100 KPH. We weren't able to cross verify by hand calculating. We did however have my 5.7 litres V8 2020 Grand Cherokee to compare to. This was the first long highway trip we have taken the Jeep on, most of its miles are around town as my wife's daily driver. On the trip out, the V8 was showing 30-33 mpg on flat ground at 110 to 120 KPH. Hand calculating over the distance and each fill resulted in 1.0 Imperial mpg less than the computer was providing. Playing Ricky Road race in the hills and corners of B.C., computer was showing me 26-28 mpg over various fills. Again, hand calculating was 1.0 mpg less than the computer was recording. By all appearances the V8 gets as good or better mileage than the V6 option. Both vehicles were running exactly the same Perrelli Scorpion 20" all season tires. I believe the higher torque at lower RPM as well as the 3.04 rear end in the V8 versus the 3.54 in the V6 is what makes the biggest difference.

Chrysler gas mileage published for the V6

Hwy 9.6L/100 KM (29.43 Imperial mpg)

City 12.7L/100 KM (22.24 Imperial mpg)

I find it interesting that such large and powerful vehicles can get such good gas mileage. I have never liked small, or under powered vehicles. Gas mileage gains will never sell me on the idea of driving smaller cars.

Mileage from Edmonton to south of Calgary, including some city driving through Calgary for lunch and shopping. Recorded on the Trip A side. Tank holds 100 litters, used just under 1/3 tank in 386 kilometres. Provides a range of about 1200 kilometres per tank.

UOHkrudl.jpg

Gas mileage for a combined 13,792 klms, 98% of it in city driving. Recorded on the Trip B side, used for aggregating overall mileage to date. Hour counter goes to 99hours.60 minutes.60 seconds and resets to zero.

75GPKgVl.jpg

OP
OP
T

TexasRam1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I need a pickup, as I use the bed all the time. Thus an SUV wouldnt cut it.