Trailer light change to LEDs

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

oe542bob

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi eTorque 5.7
I have a Haulmark trailer from 2004. I want to change all my clearance lights over to LEDs from the original incandescents. Will the truck not care that I change to LEDs? Right now I have a MY18 Ram 2500, but soon will be getting a MY22 1500 DT.
I’m thinking it doesn’t matter that I do this and won’t get any errors in the EVIC. Has anyone have any experience doing this?

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
All I can tell you, I have a 2006 WW Stock Trailer. Over the years, I have replaced some of the incandescent as they have been hit, cracked, knocked off with LED's, and have no issues. My upper clearance light, rear, I knocked off the whole strip and replaced with LED. But whether or not you have an issue, unknown. The 7 pin is going to put out a set amount of voltage, not monitored as much as on truck itself, as trailers have all sorts of different light configurations, but whether U have a problem or not, unknown. Sorry, not better help. Just my own experience.

chopperman1

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Rebel
Engine
5.7L HEMI
No issue at all, just double check your polarity if you have one that doesn't light. All my trailers are or have been converted to LED.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
I want to change all my clearance lights over to LEDs from the original incandescents.
Change all the trailer lights to LEDs, even the taillights.
As for the truck, it won't care or throw any errors for having all LEDs on the trailer. Only thing the truck monitors is the electric brakes if the trailer is so equipped

OP
OP
oe542bob

oe542bob

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi eTorque 5.7
Thanks to all who replied. Now just have to pop the old ones out and hopefully the LEDs will snap in to the same bracket. I bought Optronic thin lines. They have 2 pins that plug into the mounting bracket to provide power, and grounding is from one of the sheet metal screws holding the bracket onto the trailer sheet metal. The ends of the light has tabs that, once pressed in, hold the light in place. As far as polarity, I guess if one doesn’t work, I’ll have to remove it and just flip it over.

Badger 13

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Dodge Ram 1500
Engine
5.7 Hemi
As others have said, no problem. From what I understand the trailer lighting does not go through the canbus system. Optronics are good brand marker and STT lights. You will always be surprised how low the amp draw will be with the LED's to the trailer compared to the incandescent lights. When your finished, you should post a night picture of the completed project.

OP
OP
oe542bob

oe542bob

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi eTorque 5.7
I called eTrailer today to ask about the orientation of the pins when mounting. Told me the LED lights will work either way.
The original screw heads ( that mount the bracket to the trailer ) are too high, but I found that I can replace them with an oval head screw and the light will snap into the bracket then. Other option would be to remove the 2 screws, then use pop rivets. The original incandescent lights actually have the back side recessed where the screw heads are. New LED are just smooth with no extra recessed are for the screw heads.