Trailer mirrors

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MFSNanaimo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I just purchased a 2018 Laramie. It has the 3.92 gears and the trailer brakes, but the mirrors do not flip out like my previous Rams did. These are the fancy chrome auto tip/fold away units and the passenger side has the "smaller than they appear" warning. For towing, these are not adequate. I have seen some aftermarket flipout mirror assemblies, but they do not fold in and are in black plastic only. I pull a travel trailer and a boat. With the boat I especially could use the othr type of mirrors for backing down beside a dock, etc. Any thoughts/recommendations?

Gr8bawana

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
You must definitely get chrome mirrors for towing as they will get you much more power!! Black mirrors...how uncouth! :manos:

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel

joshuaeb09

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
1A Auto sells an aftermarket towing mirrors that look like OEM ones and have all the functions your current mirrors have including power fold but I don't think they have auto-dimming. They are plug-n-play even have them chrome capped if that's what your current ones are.
https://www.1aauto.com/2018-ram-1500-truck-side-view-mirrors/y-mo-c/2018-1773-23

I've had the 1A Auto mirrors on my truck with powerfold, heated glass, turn, and the puddle lamp for well over a year now (I forget when I installed them). My OE passenger side mirror kept having issues so I just decided to replace them, adding the mopar tow mirror bracket inside the door as well for stability. They don't have the auto dimming like the stock, but IMO with darkest legal tint in Texas I prefer the non dimming mirrors for backing up late at night in the middle of nowhere. Haven't had a single issue with them, including the ambient temp sensor, and they look identical to all the OE one's I've seen on 2500/3500's around here.

Toddbigboytruck

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I just purchased a 2018 Laramie. It has the 3.92 gears and the trailer brakes, but the mirrors do not flip out like my previous Rams did. These are the fancy chrome auto tip/fold away units and the passenger side has the "smaller than they appear" warning. For towing, these are not adequate. I have seen some aftermarket flipout mirror assemblies, but they do not fold in and are in black plastic only. I pull a travel trailer and a boat. With the boat I especially could use the othr type of mirrors for backing down beside a dock, etc. Any thoughts/recommendations?
Long live the Laramie. I will wait this closely. I guess you could have black ones wrapped with CD-ROM wrap

Mcgruff

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
I have the 1A auto chrome power fold mirrors. Look good and work perfectly. Install was easy. I did install the internal support bracket which they say you don’t have to do. I still have a little bounce/rattle sometimes hitting bumps, so I think it’s worthwhile. There’s plenty of install info in other threads.

At $500 they’re expensive, but I offset much of the cost by selling my stock mirrors on eBay for $300.

The guy I sold them to had factory tow mirrors and wanted the smaller ones. Try posting in the for sale area and see if someone wants to trade you.

Last edited:

JMod45

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Diesel

I was recently trying to get my 1500 set up for towing before I switched to the 2500. I had chrome mirrors, and didn't want to switch to black plastic either.
Did a lot of researching on the 1A tow mirror replacements, and the OEM tow mirrors.
The 1A mirrors are supposed to have all the fit and finish of factory, at around half the cost. A lot of good reviews on them in multiple forums. 1A mirrors do not have an auto dim feature, but from what I was able to find out, neither do the OEM tow mirrors. (My '14 2500 Laramie Limited tow mirrors don't dim, rear view does though)

I don't need tow mirrors often, so I ended up getting some clip on tow mirrors for just the price of shipping from someone on the forums, then traded in my truck before I ever had a chance to use them. Might not be what you are looking for, but I still have them if you are interested.

Something else to keep in mind. If you do buy a set of flip out mirrors for your truck, you can't just bolt them on and be done. You will either need the dealership to plug into the truck and add them to the computer, or use alfaOBD and do it yourself. (Look up alfaOBD in the DIY thread). The power fold feature is already turned on, and I would guess the turn signals, and puddle lights are as well. I know there is a "Tow Mirror Present" setting in there that is supposed to be on, but not sure what it would actually change. My only guess would be the up, down, left, right adjustments wouldn't quite work right without that setting turned on.

joshuaeb09

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I was recently trying to get my 1500 set up for towing before I switched to the 2500. I had chrome mirrors, and didn't want to switch to black plastic either.
Did a lot of researching on the 1A tow mirror replacements, and the OEM tow mirrors.
The 1A mirrors are supposed to have all the fit and finish of factory, at around half the cost. A lot of good reviews on them in multiple forums. 1A mirrors do not have an auto dim feature, but from what I was able to find out, neither do the OEM tow mirrors. (My '14 2500 Laramie Limited tow mirrors don't dim, rear view does though)

I don't need tow mirrors often, so I ended up getting some clip on tow mirrors for just the price of shipping from someone on the forums, then traded in my truck before I ever had a chance to use them. Might not be what you are looking for, but I still have them if you are interested.

Something else to keep in mind. If you do buy a set of flip out mirrors for your truck, you can't just bolt them on and be done. You will either need the dealership to plug into the truck and add them to the computer, or use alfaOBD and do it yourself. (Look up alfaOBD in the DIY thread). The power fold feature is already turned on, and I would guess the turn signals, and puddle lights are as well. I know there is a "Tow Mirror Present" setting in there that is supposed to be on, but not sure what it would actually change. My only guess would be the up, down, left, right adjustments wouldn't quite work right without that setting turned on.

The only thing flashing the sales code does is keep the adjustments correct when flipped out I left mine unflashed for a while. Otherwise the buttons are stuck in the folded down orientation so you've got to remember the glass is rotated 90 degrees when adjusting. It wasn't worth a trip to the dealer for me but eventually had them do it when I had one of the recall flashes or maybe it was when they turned on the ITBC. Had Alfa been available I would've enabled the ITBC and Tow sales code myself rather than bothering with the dealer.

CincyCuda68

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have the flip out tow mirrors in my 2500 but would like power fold. Are the A1 the same size as the 2500 tow mirrors or smaller?

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
I have the flip out tow mirrors in my 2500 but would like power fold. Are the A1 the same size as the 2500 tow mirrors or smaller?
They stick out approximately 15" from the vehicle when not flipped out. That's what 1A Auto emailed me back when inquired about them for my 1500. I believe they are the same size at the OEMs
I think you can upgrade the door modules and get the factory power-fold switch to work also.

CincyCuda68

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
They stick out approximately 15" from the vehicle when not flipped out. That's what 1A Auto emailed me back when inquired about them for my 1500. I believe they are the same size at the OEMs
I think you can upgrade the door modules and get the factory power-fold switch to work also.
I haven’t priced OEM but I’m betting that they are way more $$$