trans. advice

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Corner4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Discouraged! truck ran fine, replace trans. line , 03 1500 2wd 4.7 545rfe for small pinhole leak,fluid only down about a pint, drop pan, change both filters, fill back up with ATF+4 , normal running fluid temp, level ground, so im in the driveway, no matter what gear im in PRND21 goes forward with no reverse, nothing but a Whirring noise when put in reverse coming from whatever sensor that is by shift linkage , the large plug, what the hell happen or did I do, like said stuck in drive with NO reverse, THANKS

LoneWolf3574

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Any P07** codes come up, such as P0700 or P073E? When you drained the transmission the first time was there any debris or metal in the pan or on the pan filter? Have you drained the transmission again and inspected for debris in the pan or on the pan filter? Without debris, it could be the TCM or a solenoid issue. With debris in the pan or pan filter, you'll very likely need a rebuild done. And that is about the limit of what I know and can think of. I'm sorry I can't be more of a help and I hope my suggestions help you out some.

Just as a bit of information the RFE means rear-wheel drive application, fully electronic controls.

https://www.obd-codes.com/p07-codes

HemiLonestar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Did you remove the old suction filter seal and properly seat the replacement? Ignore the crack in the picture, its a good representation of the seal location and how it's supposed to fit in there.

oring.jpg

OP
OP
C

Corner4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thanks for the replies, yes I did replace that small o ring have to admit it was a little difficult to remove and install new one will drop pan again and double check also there was no metal on pan or on magnet only small amount of grey sludge , nothing serious at all, just concerned with that weird faint whirring noise when shift in rev. Needless to say will get back when I check this all over, o ring was just end of screwdriver and rubber mallet to replace, thanks a ton, Rob

slinghigh

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Discouraged! truck ran fine, replace trans. line , 03 1500 2wd 4.7 545rfe for small pinhole leak,fluid only down about a pint, drop pan, change both filters, fill back up with ATF+4 , normal running fluid temp, level ground, so im in the driveway, no matter what gear im in PRND21 goes forward with no reverse, nothing but a Whirring noise when put in reverse coming from whatever sensor that is by shift linkage , the large plug, what the hell happen or did I do, like said stuck in drive with NO reverse, THANKS
mechanic for 45yrs....don't change fluid if burned….all the Teflon from the clutches are in there helping it grip....you drain that fluid out and metallic particles that were helping the clutches are gone=loss of gears and function ….might have waited to long....or not....can be solenoid …..check fluid for metallic particles.....