Trans shifting issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JMikk

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2L 318
Hey everyone, general info seems dead for me and this seems like a performance issue to me so here goes. Bought a 2001 ram 5.9, 46re 4x4 hesitates going into gear like select drive or reverse and it sits for a second then grabs. Previous owner disclosed before purchase that it slipped once at highway speed cruising back from Vermont. 120k miles, fluid looks old will service. What do y’all think, try a full flush and band adjustment and hope for the best or is this a bigger issue?

crazykid1994

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I don’t think I would flush at that mileage unless it’s been consistently done. Maybe just a fluid swap and band adjustment to see if it helps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
J

JMikk

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2L 318
I don’t think I would flush at that mileage unless it’s been consistently done. Maybe just a fluid swap and band adjustment to see if it helps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I figured that would be a safer option, I’m going do that and hope it wakes up. Definitely need to adjust the tv cable too

dudeman2009

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 1500 Sport with enough electrical modifications to make my brain hurt
Engine
Magnum 360
Drop the pan and change the fluid and filter. If you do decide to adjust the bands do it with the pan off.

Does this do it every time you go from reverse to drive? Or is it only after sitting in park or shut off for awhile?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

OP
OP
J

JMikk

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2L 318
Drop the pan and change the fluid and filter. If you do decide to adjust the bands do it with the pan off.

Does this do it every time you go from reverse to drive? Or is it only after sitting in park or shut off for awhile?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Its so far every time from park to reverse or park to drive. Truck had sat for a year and some months so that could be some of the issue. Haven’t really moved it around much yet as it’s a job to get it back to health after so long of sitting

dudeman2009

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 1500 Sport with enough electrical modifications to make my brain hurt
Engine
Magnum 360
Its so far every time from park to reverse or park to drive. Truck had sat for a year and some months so that could be some of the issue. Haven’t really moved it around much yet as it’s a job to get it back to health after so long of sitting

If its only from park to a gear it may be torque converter drain back. But if its happening from reverse to drive thats a different story. Another thing to check is driveline snap. With the wheels chocked put the truck in neutral and crawl under and turn the driveshaft both ways by hand by grabbing the output flange from the trans or transfercase. If there is more than about an 1/8th of a turn it may be that causing the issue.