Transfer case failure

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GsRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Dodge Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi, 6.4L
Interesting read on all this. My 22 had a NTSB notice out on their website, about low diff oils from the factory. So I checked mine at roughly 7k miles. Ended up both diffs were very low. I used around 3 quarts between the two, to top them off for the factory recommended fill levels.

So I rarely use 4WD, and accordingly never shift my transfer case. Is that a thing or not?
I think from a mechanical standpoint, not using anything often is bad and can lead to premature issues. Dont use your ac regularly, seals can dry out and lead to early repairs. Let an engine sit too long and cylinders that have valves open (compressed springs) can lead to weaker springs. Same goes for the 4x4 system I believe. Better to exercise it once in awhile than go long periods without use. Just my .02

Brent 1955

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Interesting read on all this. My 22 had a NTSB notice out on their website, about low diff oils from the factory. So I checked mine at roughly 7k miles. Ended up both diffs were very low. I used around 3 quarts between the two, to top them off for the factory recommended fill levels.

So I rarely use 4WD, and accordingly never shift my transfer case. Is that a thing or not?
You should use your 4-wheel drive components at least once a month. The clutchplates will dry out and make horrible noises. The clutch packs in the 3rd member need lubricated every once in a while. I use Amsoil and Lucas in both my differentials for added protection. Try to choose a rainy day when you put it in 4-wheel drive easier on the tires than dry pavement. My wife has a 2500 HD Silverado 4-wheel drive do the same to her truck also. Sometimes a little preventive goes a long way in maintenance.