Transmission shifting issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
S

Skatulaki

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2002 1500
Engine
5.9 liter 360
Also, what is this equipment supposed to do, I found disconnected dry rotted hose, its near the trans1630018267151.jpeg, drivers side, what problems might this cause?

Sirriggs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

Attachments

• IMG_20210827_151526652.jpg
    IMG_20210827_151526652.jpg
    110.1 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_20210827_151538740.jpg
    IMG_20210827_151538740.jpg
    92.1 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_20210827_151556376.jpg
    IMG_20210827_151556376.jpg
    115.1 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_20210827_151558940.jpg
    IMG_20210827_151558940.jpg
    115.9 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_20210827_151603139.jpg
    IMG_20210827_151603139.jpg
    117.9 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:

Sirriggs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Sorry did something wrong but anyway, I have attached some pages to read through that may help with the part in the picture in what to do. Hope this helps.

RUFCUT1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
for Skatulaki: it has been my experience in doing my own maintenance that i had to ask experts in the field. have you consulted a Transmission expert ? Sometimes the simplest things are what is wrong.
I once had a Volvo that i had a bad shift module that connected the trans with the shifting cable it was a simple repair the little module was a rheostat. R&R ed it and went on my way. your transmission may have a bad shift module, consult with an expert

OP
OP
S

Skatulaki

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2002 1500
Engine
5.9 liter 360
Ok , I got the valve body out, don't appear to have broken anything in the process. Oddly after mystery piece fell out (Now identified as a band anchor strut), I had to put the VB back into position, to undo the linkage, and discovered that now it actually shifts back into park. Now that I came this far, not going to stop now , the strut came from somewhere. I also found a square nut on the floor as well. Pretty sure its not left over from something else as I hosed the floor off before I started. One of these pieces must have been jamming up the works. Anyway I have it out, and it now seems to cycle through all the positions. Now that I have it out, I may want to go ahead with an enhancement kit, new o rings, or whatever else may be beneficial ! I have more photo's to post but am going to take a couple more. I'll will post them after finishing my comments.

OP
OP
S

Skatulaki

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2002 1500
Engine
5.9 liter 360
To RUFCUT 1 :

I was working on Farm equipment since I was ten years old, mostly as tool fetcher for dad, by 15 I was doing the work myself ! By 16 I was doing the work on my own cars ! I certainly either smashed or tore up enough trucks by the time I was 20, to learn a lot. I repaired Teletype machines and radio systems in the Marines, even helped remove an AAMtrack Final drive and track in the field, despite being a comm guy, repaired a jeep radiator with a 12 volt soldering iron I had in my teletype kit. I spent another 30+ years repairing copy machines, from the old paper on a roll ones up to modern day color machines. The whole time I did my own vehicle maintainence. I mostly owned manual transmissions, so I had never worked on automatics. All I ever had to do was replace an occasional clutch. If there is anything this "expert" copy machine repairman learned, it's that "most problems are simple" and that "the experts" can screw up as much as anyone else, their making good on it is another story!

Fast forward, I had a 97 jeep with an automatic, trans started acting up real bad, so I took it to
"the experts" the Jeep dealer. The first couple times I had to take it back, I was pretty peeved.
The next four times I took it back, I would just look at the service writer, laugh, drop the key on the counter and walk out. They finally got it right, I have to give them that much credit, they actually swapped transmissions 3 times. Took my newer jeep to tire place when I first got it for new tires, asked them to see if they could Identify the rattle I kept hearing. When I got it back they said it needed new shocks all the way around and grabbed a front one and wiggled it around. I passed on $350 in shocks, and took a look and all it needed were rubber bushings, 12 bucks at advance auto, I've since done it 3 times, but shocks are fine.

So since at the moment I don't "need" to drive this truck, is it ok with you ?

1. If I try to learn something and attempt the job myself ?
2. That I am honest enough to admit I've never tried it before, and that if I screw it up it's on me!
3. That since most problems are simple, your ok with my fixing a simple problem?
4. If I ask if you consider yourself an expert?
5. Three or four of the guys here have been quite helpful, if you are an expert will you participate? Or are you blowing smoke?

The last expert I went to, the local Dodge dealer, charged me $95 to say they would have to take the trans out and tear it all down to find the problem. I have clearly stated that if the Trans has to come out, it won't go back in, I want to convert to manual. I also called another "local expert", who could have said. "We just need to pull the pan and valve body and see whats going on", he didn't, or I probably might have gone along with it. When I mentioned that if it wasn't a simple problem, I wanted to convert to manual. His reply was, " I never heard of doing that" !

Need I say more ?

OP
OP
S

Skatulaki

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2002 1500
Engine
5.9 liter 360
Ok , a new look after Sirriggs info ! I can see where the anchor strut probably goes, I move that side of the band by hand and there is more than enough space to place it in there. ( I took photos )
however piece number 74, the band apply strut, is currently physically located between the other side of the band and the lever that "appears" opens the valve there. Has this band been fixed back asswards ?

OP
OP
S

Skatulaki

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2002 1500
Engine
5.9 liter 360
photo's

Attachments

• IMG_0528.JPG
    IMG_0528.JPG
    86.3 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_0527.JPG
    IMG_0527.JPG
    92.8 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_0516.JPG
    IMG_0516.JPG
    118.5 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_0520.JPG
    IMG_0520.JPG
    157.2 KB · Views: 2
OP
OP
S

Skatulaki

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2002 1500
Engine
5.9 liter 360
I may need take another pic or two, but 516 shows the band strut on what may be wrong side of band?

Attachments

• IMG_0526.JPG
    IMG_0526.JPG
    110.7 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_0527.JPG
    IMG_0527.JPG
    92.8 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_0525.JPG
    IMG_0525.JPG
    140.4 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_0518.JPG
    IMG_0518.JPG
    145.8 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_0516.JPG
    IMG_0516.JPG
    118.5 KB · Views: 2

Sirriggs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I can't see how it can be in wrong but my guess is that the square bolt you speak of is the adjustment that requires some type of box fitting. I found a video(s) that seem to look pretty damn good on walking through the 46re transmission tear down and rebuild. Episode 1 will seem boring but it about why and how to tear down and what tools you will need. I am going to watch the videos of lessons. I myself wont know if my slipping issues are still there till I get mine back on the road so this video may help me to figure out what I may need to do as well.

As to your issue. I'm thinking something was either off or loose and when you took things out, it fell out and now the park issue is solved. I think once you get that band back together and adjusted. You may be on your way. Make sure you adjust both back to factory. that the bolt in img_0518.jpg that the inside of pan adjustment. The square bolt one will stick outside of the transmission. I will post that image again for you in the illustration.

Also here is the first you tube video to the 46re class. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3J1ErheBwHE

IMG_20210827_154049921.jpg

Sirriggs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I was watching the video I posted. in step 3 video I seen this and took a picture. Hope it helps.

Attachments

• IMG_20210827_221329972.jpg
    IMG_20210827_221329972.jpg
    156 KB · Views: 4
OP
OP
S

Skatulaki

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2002 1500
Engine
5.9 liter 360
While I was able to reposition the strut and adjust a band that was obviously too loose, my luck ran out ! I finally got a barrel to pour my pan into and I found two curved metal pieces about an inch long , maybe a little more, one about a 1/4 inch wide, the other a little wider, curve shaped. These obviously were not part of valve body, and came from a more internal place. Sorry I do not know proper nomenclature. But now I have to pull the Trans entirely. So much for a little luck.

I haven't spent a dime, other than time yet, so now that I have to take it out, I can put a manual in !
Moves my project up sooner, but sadly leaves my truck sidelined for quite a while.

Sirriggs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
While I was able to reposition the strut and adjust a band that was obviously too loose, my luck ran out ! I finally got a barrel to pour my pan into and I found two curved metal pieces about an inch long , maybe a little more, one about a 1/4 inch wide, the other a little wider, curve shaped. These obviously were not part of valve body, and came from a more internal place. Sorry I do not know proper nomenclature. But now I have to pull the Trans entirely. So much for a little luck.

I haven't spent a dime, other than time yet, so now that I have to take it out, I can put a manual in !
Moves my project up sooner, but sadly leaves my truck sidelined for quite a while.
Take the time and watch the video I posted. Its a very good video that may not end up side lining you. I have watched all of them and he is very detailed about taking apart the whole transmission all the way down to the throttle body. You might get lucky and find what fell out may be something that can be put back in. The videos are broke down into sections so you might be able to just take the throttle body down and see what's going on. Its the best video's i have found that made me more confident that it can be done. he helps with tear down and putting everything back together. a long with torque specs and part numbers.

OP
OP
S

Skatulaki

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2002 1500
Engine
5.9 liter 360
The pieces I found look like broken rings I see in rebuild kits, from the curvature, maybe 6 inch in diameter. The pieces I have are only an inch long or so! I seriously doubt being in any place of the valve body, I do watch the video's though many go past my attention span with superfluous information, or leave out many steps. I do have pics of the pieces, but right now I'm more concerned with yanking it out, while not exactly challenging mentally, it's proving to be a PIA! A little bit of progress a day is ok with me. Now if I can just find some 3 foot long extension bars, I'll be all right!

OP
OP
S

Skatulaki

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2002 1500
Engine
5.9 liter 360
The above are the pieces I found in the pan and magnet. I'm not going to trust trying to run it. So I'm in the process of pulling the trans!