transmission shifting problem

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

peter tremblay

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I am new to this forum, I am looking for advise regarding my sons Ram 2012 hemi truck. He is having shifting issue where engine revs increase and truck doesn't shift into the next gear. the dealer has suggested transmission replacement as an option. the truck has 130,000 kms or 80 thousand miles. Also shifts are not smooth. Any thought's or suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks

TheEnder

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L V8
Preform a quicklearn on the transmission using the BAFX Bluetooth (not wifi) scan tool which could be purchased on eBay for around 20$ and AlfaOBD which could be purchased for i think 50$.

After this, drive the truck lightly so the PCM can learn trans clutch index volumes.

Then, buy a license for the app called “OBD Jscan” which is 23$ and view clutch index volumes.

I’m out right now, i’ll provide more information when i get home.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Brandon-w

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram 1500
Engine
Preform a quicklearn on the transmission using the BAFX Bluetooth (not wifi) scan tool which could be purchased on eBay for around 20$ and AlfaOBD which could be purchased for i think 50$.

After this, drive the truck lightly so the PCM can learn trans clutch index volumes.

Then, buy a license for the app called “OBD Jscan” which is 23$ and view clutch index volumes.

I’m out right now, i’ll provide more information when i get home.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
You've learned alot since your last incident eh

Sent from my SM-G981W using Tapatalk

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
The more info you can post the better, it is pretty thin to diagnose it on such little info. What gears, what rpms are issues, etc.

By the way, have you checked the fluid level warm?

If it is a 6 speed transmission, the usual suspect is the valve body. At 80k miles, you need to make a decision, throw something at it on the cheap and hope it works, or just replace or rebuild. What is your dyi capabilities? Watch these videos and make a decision how to proceed. A valve body swap is like a 2 star job, not terribly hard. If you decide you want to do a valve body let me know I can give you more info. Not a guarantee fix, but it is the largest known issue with these rfe's.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Just on a basic level if the trans was never serviced t is overdue, and can cause issues. You need to drop pan and change 2 filters. This is when you would swap valve body if you felt so motivated. Look at metal thread and synthetic filter options. You will need two gallons to replace a pan drop, I like redline c+ for fluid.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Eddo