Transmission woes

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

svdsinner

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L V8
My transmission started to slip badly, so I turned around and limped it back home. Upon inspection, I found the transmission cooler line had ruptured and transmission fluid was leaking. I repaired the transmission lines, and refilled the transmission with new transmission fluid. (I followed the procedure to check the level on a warm engine after cycling through all the gears)

Once it was refilled, the transmission mostly went back to functional. However, it struggles between 3rd and 4th on the highway. (Tough to get it to upshift to 4th, and it often slipped back to 3rd gear with only mild acceleration. Additionally, it seems like the torque converter no longer locks when the truck gets up to highway speeds.

Is there something I need to do to the transmission now that it has been refilled with fluid? On my old 1999 5.9 gas Ram2500 4x4, you were required to retorque the transmission bands on that transmission. Is there a similar procedure for the transmission on my 2001 Cummins 2WD?

Any thoughts on what might still be wrong would be appreciated.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VLG6963