Trinity is not repairable, need advice.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

popcenator

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
A tad bit of backstory. I bought a used Trinity from a member on here for $350, great price at the time, great transaction, worked perfectly for a couple years. I couldn't have been happier with the purchase, great member to work with.

The device recently started glitching out and freezing every time it would boot up. I was fortunate enough to have it functional long enough to get the original tune back on and then I sent it to DS for a repair. They've had it for a month and are not able to repair it meaning I would need to pay for a whole new device and a discounted price of $450.

Now I don't know what to do, I have an HF tune I'd love to get back on the truck but spending that would mean I paid $800 just to have a functioning tuner..so I'm tunerless for now. I know there's no easy way around this and it's pretty much pay to get it replaced and have a warranty on it, buy another used one for a little less but have the possibility of it happening again, or just live without a tuner. What would you guys do? I have some terrible luck...

BLKMAGIC

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I guess it depends on how happy you were with the tuner...at this point I would buy new and have a warranty over buying another used one to save $100...$100 more the first time would have saved you this hassle, so I think its worth the money to buy new, or not buy another one in general.

charonblk07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
F1-A forged 349ci
I would take them up on their offer. Since you bought it used you didn't have a warranty so this is the 'repair' cost. You could gamble and buy another used one but if you're already $800 in on 2 programmers you could be in $1250 if you have any issues with another used one.

DavidRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 RCSB
Engine
Hemi 5.7
You paid less than .50 cents per day for having a great tune on your truck. :)

I would take the $450 for a new one. I assume the HF tune is transferable to the new one.

Last edited:

jcat

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
man...they're only giving you $50 off after a $500 device **** the bed after only a couple years? It's got to be pretty bad for them to not be able to fix it...was the failure caused by dropping or water damage or something?

They're basically saying "Yup, it's broken so bad that the guys who made it in the first place can't even make it right, just from normal use...so buy another one from us!"

Seems like I get a new reason to not go with a diablo offering every day.

Last edited:

DavidRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 RCSB
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Maybe try and get a lower price from DS. Let them know you are a very active member on forums, and what you say, whether good or bad, can have an impact on DS sales. And that you would "love to write glowing reviews about their excellent service" all over the internet. ;)

Lhemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Predator 4x4 Dually & 2012 Ram Puinsher R/T 1 of 1
Engine
6.7 Cummins Turbo & Hemi 5.7
Get a new one, there's no way I could live without a tune.

BlownGP

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 RAM Harvest New Holland Blue
Engine
man...they're only giving you $50 off after a $500 device **** the bed after only a couple years? It's got to be pretty bad for them to not be able to fix it...was the failure caused by dropping or water damage or something?

They're basically saying "Yup, it's broken so bad that the guys who made it in the first place can't even make it right, just from normal use...so buy another one from us!"

Seems like I get a new reason to not go with a diablo offering every day.

x2

although it's more like $600 new

How can they not fix it? Thing must have been really messed up.

I think half price would be a good discount and unless you like the cool gauges. Get a Intune

OP
OP
popcenator

popcenator

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks for the input guys, nothing was done to the device (water, dropped, etc.) I'm very careful with the thing especially knowing how fragile it feels as it is. The only time I ever took it out of the truck was to put the tunes back on after resetting it.

From searching, a lot of people had/have this issue too, although it looked like they were able to fix them.