Trouble starting up

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CaliBear490

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have a 2011 Ram 1500 with the 4.7 v8. Has 79k miles on it.

About a month ago I noticed it started having trouble starting up.. it would take about 2-3 tries then it would start right up as normal. I noticed every time it would click when attempting to start up (see YouTube video).
I thought it was the battery so I replaced it.. and it still does the same thing. I also had the starter replaced with another OEM part. Someone suggested it may be the ignition switch, but I’m not sure how I’d test that. Don’t want to spend $190 at dealership for diagnostic just for it to end up being something small.

I should also note, sometimes if I hold down the unlock button on the fob while I’m turning it, it will start right up on the first try.

Any inputs/suggestions/advice would be greatly appreciated.

https://youtube.com/shorts/B_nKDtzBCr8?feature=share

jws123

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
It very well could be ignition switch however goes it start if you push key up or down? I had a extremely similar issue not to long ago take a set of jumper cables or any wire with a clamp Clamp it to the bolt/starter on bellhousing run it to neg battery terminal. See if she fires up every time I had a ground issue on my 2010 that I spent a long time trying to figure out fixed it by running a new ground cable from starter bolt to frame.

OP
OP
C

CaliBear490

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
It very well could be ignition switch however goes it start if you push key up or down? I had a extremely similar issue not to long ago take a set of jumper cables or any wire with a clamp Clamp it to the bolt/starter on bellhousing run it to neg battery terminal. See if she fires up every time I had a ground issue on my 2010 that I spent a long time trying to figure out fixed it by running a new ground cable from starter bolt to frame.
Just tried what you mentioned and it starts up every time

Edit: It was starting up every time after clamping a cable from starter to battery terminal, but now it’s doing the same thing again

Last edited: