troutspinner’s Budget SQ 2014 Crew Cab Build

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
T

troutspinner

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Big Horn Crew Cab
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I tried grabbing one of those JBL MS-8 but I was an unlucky one and got refunded... :D

That stinks. Don't sweat it too much though, most people I see buy one end up returning it or reselling it. IMO it just makes the system sound held back. Hard to explain but if you heard one vs. a good DSP you would notice it.

Hey Hipps, who did you get your Helix from? Can you hook me up with a contact?

I've been doing some EQing now that I am happy with my crossovers. Unfortunately the DEQ.8 does not give me all of the Q control I want so I am contemplating going Helix or 3Sixty.3. I think you guys here would call me crazy, it sounds really good but I am one **** **** and I know I could improve on it yet. ;)

DavidRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 RCSB
Engine
Hemi 5.7

I've been doing some EQing now that I am happy with my crossovers. Unfortunately the DEQ.8 does not give me all of the Q control I want so I am contemplating going Helix or 3Sixty.3. I think you guys here would call me crazy, it sounds really good but I am one **** **** and I know I could improve on it yet. ;)

I always thought you were a little too advanced for the "more simple" Deq8. You will probably have a hay day with the Helix!

OP
OP
T

troutspinner

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Big Horn Crew Cab
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I always thought you were a little too advanced for the "more simple" Deq8. You will probably have a hay day with the Helix!

Thanks. I am a geeky person and can't rest when I get a bug up my butt. ;). Time to get out the wallet. Again....

BradKnob

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Too bad some of us don't live in range of each other. Be nice to have some of you listen to my setup and give me your opinions. I think my system sounds great but with the talk of front stage, imaging, and timing, makes me wonder how much better the system could sound.

I know that feel man. I never heard a center image and staging until I had one in my own truck. Then that just lead to... Can it get better? Can it get more detailed? Etc etc...

What helped tame my expectations was listening to a legit home setup. See if there's a best Buy Magnolia store (or other high end HT store) around you and go audition one of those setups. It will blow you mind..... Then come back to reality and realize that it's impossible to achieve in a vehicle, but at least u have something to shoot for.

If you don't have a high end retailer around you then disregard everything I said. Or check out a DIYMA get together. There hasn't been one within 2 states of me.

Thanks. I am a geeky person and can't rest when I get a bug up my butt. ;). Time to get out the wallet. Again....

Lol.... This thread reminds me a lot like mine. Speaker swap and an amp will be fine.... Ok, need more amps now.... Ehh I'll try a DSP now.... Now I need better speakers..... Well may as well get a mic.... F**k it sounds amazing..... Need to make it more amazing now....

This doesn't end BTW.

Etroze86

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Im with you guys, after I pull my L3's out of the dash and get them on axis, buy another amp and get done making everything pretty with the Si BM mkIV's im done for a long while with mine.

OP
OP
T

troutspinner

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Big Horn Crew Cab
Engine
5.7 Hemi
No doubt David. You can still get them (sparsely) but they are $400 now. I'll ask $250 and see what shakes.

Brad, on the BTW, yep!

woojyee

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 eTorque
That stinks. Don't sweat it too much though, most people I see buy one end up returning it or reselling it. IMO it just makes the system sound held back. Hard to explain but if you heard one vs. a good DSP you would notice it.

That Rockford Fosgate 3Sixty.3 is $599, the Helix is $699 and the Helix Pro is $999 and I would still need to buy the microphone kit?

Then would need to buy a 2-channel amp for the dash speakers.... :hmm:

I know that feel man. I never heard a center image and staging until I had one in my own truck. Then that just lead to... Can it get better? Can it get more detailed? Etc etc...

What helped tame my expectations was listening to a legit home setup. See if there's a best Buy Magnolia store (or other high end HT store) around you and go audition one of those setups. It will blow you mind..... Then come back to reality and realize that it's impossible to achieve in a vehicle, but at least u have something to shoot for.

If you don't have a high end retailer around you then disregard everything I said. Or check out a DIYMA get together. There hasn't been one within 2 states of me.

Lol.... This thread reminds me a lot like mine. Speaker swap and an amp will be fine.... Ok, need more amps now.... Ehh I'll try a DSP now.... Now I need better speakers..... Well may as well get a mic.... F**k it sounds amazing..... Need to make it more amazing now....

This doesn't end BTW.

I think someone mentioned there was a DIYMA get together in Omaha on the 19th but I am not sure I can make it there this weekend, Otherwise there is nothing around my lil town of Columbus, NE. The local audio shop sux ass.... they have nothing and not even decent wire.

DavidRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 RCSB
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I think someone mentioned there was a DIYMA get together in Omaha on the 19th but I am not sure I can make it there this weekend, Otherwise there is nothing around my lil town of Columbus, NE. The local audio shop sux ass.... they have nothing and not even decent wire.

That is Jerry Niebur's GTG. Great guy! I have learned a ton from him and he has helped me tremendously on my build.

---> Home Page

OP
OP
T

troutspinner

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Big Horn Crew Cab
Engine
5.7 Hemi
For roughly the last 10 days or so I've been playing with overlapping frequencies and crossover slopes. I've learned that overlapping is not that good of an idea after-all.

Initially it sounds better but what is really happening is that a certain frequency range gets boosted making that band more pronounced and you get the impression that it is more detailed. After your ears settle in, you'll see where it causes havoc to the rest of your range.

Overlapping for me was causing sibilance (harsh S's....I didn't know that term 2 weeks ago either) so I decided to return the crossovers to my original settings and not overlap. This of course started me down another path. Because my ears are now so "In Tune" with S's, I kept hearing it! Call it a placebo affect but something was not right!

I continued to adjust my crossovers and slopes and finally settled that my mids/tweets married at 5k with a 24dB LR Slope at both ends therefore eliminating sibilance. Yay me! LOL

A little more tuning with levels to get that nice gradual roll-off past 2k has this thing sounding outstanding! I don't want to hurt my shoulder patting myself on the back but I would not be afraid to enter this thing into a competition for SQ. Regional of course, like my town, or maybe development...alright, maybe just my street. LOL

So, overlapping no good. Overlapping rear fill can make a nice ambience but when running 3 way, look elsewhere to correct before you start overlapping. Also, if you run into sibilance issues, 5k to 8k are the areas to EQ but if you can cross at 5k so that only 1 speaker is handling that range of frequencies, you'll find eliminating it much easier.

DavidRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 RCSB
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Awesome post! ^^^ Sssssssssibilance, lmao! I love that word... It sounds like ebonics for siblings.

Edit: Boy, I hope I don't get shot for saying that... or have a "cap busted in my ass, yo!" Lol! :hidesbehindsofa:

ou812

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
For roughly the last 10 days or so I've been playing with overlapping frequencies and crossover slopes. I've learned that overlapping is not that good of an idea after-all.

Initially it sounds better but what is really happening is that a certain frequency range gets boosted making that band more pronounced and you get the impression that it is more detailed. After your ears settle in, you'll see where it causes havoc to the rest of your range.

Overlapping for me was causing sibilance (harsh S's....I didn't know that term 2 weeks ago either) so I decided to return the crossovers to my original settings and not overlap. This of course started me down another path. Because my ears are now so "In Tune" with S's, I kept hearing it! Call it a placebo affect but something was not right!

I continued to adjust my crossovers and slopes and finally settled that my mids/tweets married at 5k with a 24dB LR Slope at both ends therefore eliminating sibilance. Yay me! LOL

A little more tuning with levels to get that nice gradual roll-off past 2k has this thing sounding outstanding! I don't want to hurt my shoulder patting myself on the back but I would not be afraid to enter this thing into a competition for SQ. Regional of course, like my town, or maybe development...alright, maybe just my street. LOL

So, overlapping no good. Overlapping rear fill can make a nice ambience but when running 3 way, look elsewhere to correct before you start overlapping. Also, if you run into sibilance issues, 5k to 8k are the areas to EQ but if you can cross at 5k so that only 1 speaker is handling that range of frequencies, you'll find eliminating it much easier.

You're welcome. This even applies to a 2 way active. I never eq until I get all my crossover points and slopes in line. I actually run my mids up to 1.8 and my tweets pick up at 3.2. The slope on both crossover points will fill in the gap. I only eq out a spike or dip outside of the passband. Crossover points will take care of the rest.

ou812

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Ding!

Thank you!

I may have come across here in the beginning as an a$$ because of my strong opinions on certain topics but I'm not a bad guy. And I have been seriously into mobile audio for about 30 years or so. You do realize that you're a really short drive from me. I would love to get together sometime and compare systems. That and I am a fishing addict. :favorites13:

OP
OP
T

troutspinner

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Big Horn Crew Cab
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I may have come across here in the beginning as an a$$ because of my strong opinions on certain topics but I'm not a bad guy. And I have been seriously into mobile audio for about 30 years or so. You do realize that you're a really short drive from me. I would love to get together sometime and compare systems. That and I am a fishing addict. :favorites13:

I did not realize that. That is close. Any chance you trout fish? we should definitely hook up somewhere.

ou812

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I did not realize that. That is close. Any chance you trout fish? we should definitely hook up somewhere.

I sure do. Mostly fly when I was younger but I still do trout fish. I have done rather well so far this year.

OP
OP
T

troutspinner

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Big Horn Crew Cab
Engine
5.7 Hemi
We have to hook up then. I primarily spin fish but I'm not a style snob. I'll PM you. See if we can make something happen.

woojyee

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 eTorque
Well Trout,

I ordered 4 rolls of peel and seal.... Has a slight tar smell. Do you notice it?