Truck camper -> Extreme body roll/sway. Help!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

6.4LMegaMan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L
I have a 2016 2500 Mega 6.4L with Thuren front 2" lift springs, track bar and Fox shocks at all 4 corners. I left the rear springs stock. Riding on Toyo AT2 295/65R20 65psi front, 75psi rear.

Just drove 150 miles to pick up my new (used) truck camper and was scared to death driving home. As soon as I pulled onto the highway I hit an off camber dip and thought the truck was going to flip over. I couldn't go over 50mph. It was terrifying. The body roll (side to side) just kept compounding until I slowed down to about 30mph and let it dampen out.

The truck camper is a 2016 Palomino SS 1251 that weighs around 1900lbs. It was completely empty since I just bought it.

I assume it has to be the Thuren springs up front and/or the Fox shocks all around since that's the only changes I've made. My first move will be to begrudgingly remove the awesome Thuren springs and Fox shocks and put the stock ones back on. I'm so disappointed. Does anyone have any experience or advice?IMG_9634.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Dmopar74

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Put some sumo springs or timbrens on the rear. I hauled a 3500 lb camper in my 2500 and had the same problem, installed sumo springs and all was well

Redheadhunter21

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
It has to do with the rear springs, if you look at them they are located inside the frame rails. Softening up the front obviously would not help for the sway. However a set of airbags which IMO would be required anyways with a camper will give you a contact point at the frame rails and stop the sway effect.

Timbrens or sumosprings would be a cheaper option but bags would be the best option and what I would do

olyelr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
You can swap back to stock springs and shocks and see how you like it. I would guess it might be a tad better, but not much.

I would just go straight to bags in the rear and be done with it. Thats a lot of weight in the back, especially for a leveled truck. Your lights will be pointing at the sky. Bags will kill three birds with one stone (keep the truck level when loaded, add stability when loaded, and allow you to have a leveled truck when unloaded).

I would also highly suggest Thurens rear trackbar setup.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
Aside from air bags piped in a dual circuit configuration, consider putting in a Hellwig 7306 adjustable swaybar.

olyelr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Aside from air bags piped in a dual circuit configuration...

^^^^^^ this for sure. Seeing how the camper loaded up may be heavier on one side than the other, having a dual path system would be best so you could level it side to side. The way I plumbed my bags I can do that, but I have to manually fill each bag. I know airlift has a dual path wireless setup that will do this (single path ones as well). Its the cats ass for sure, and something I would absolutely have if I was in your shoes.

GsRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Dodge Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi, 6.4L
All suggestions offered are good ones and you already have experienced why leveled trucks are not the best for heavy hauling. The OEM sets these trucks up with some degree of positive rake so when loaded it sits level. Level your truck without airbags and then add a lot of weight and your situation is the result.

quickster2

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram Laramie 2500 4 X 4
Engine
6.4L
On my previous 2500 Ram V10 Laramie I added Super Springs and Sumo Springs to tackle the swaying. We have a Northstar similar in weight and size to your Palamino. My current truck has the rear air so no need for additional goodies. Even without the rear air your truck should handle the Palamino with no issues with a stock setup.

OP
OP
6.4LMegaMan

6.4LMegaMan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L
Thank you everyone for your help and advice. So the options I have seem to be:

1. Go back to stock front springs and purchase and install new shocks at all 4 corners (I didn't keep the stock ones) and hope that works.
2. Install air bags and Hellwig sway bar. Should I also install stiffer shocks at the same time or will that be unnecessary?

I sent Thuren an email last night asking their advice as well.

I thought keeping the rear springs would keep my overall hauling capacity and characteristics the same as stock. Boy what a miscalculation that was! Let this be a lesson for posterity for anyone looking to level their truck. And this camper is only 1900lbs (which is a feather weight when it comes to truck campers!). I bought a light pop-up truck camper so I could also tow my boat keeping everything under my listed payload capacity.

Ratket

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Good job on emailing Thuren.

Also call these guys and ask their advice, it’s what they do. Tell them what you have, and what your goal is.

http://www.cjcoffroad.com/

I think the bags will cure the issue, but there will likely be another supporting mod, like the helweig bar. 1900 pounds should be pretty close to Pay load if I remember correctly, so regardless of the front spring change out, you would of likely wanted bags for stability.

Nickx86

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
You have a 2500? Definitely need to tighten up that lateral play w those rear coil springs w the top heavy camper. I wouldn’t be so worried about the leveling kit per say

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
1. Go back to stock front springs and purchase and install new shocks at all 4 corners (I didn't keep the stock ones) and hope that works.
2. Install air bags and Hellwig sway bar. Should I also install stiffer shocks at the same time or will that be unnecessary?

I sent Thuren an email last night asking their advice as well.

Just my $.02 but I would start with the sway bar. Given what it does combats the problem your having, body sway. The airbags will help level any side lean out but in reality they are just adjustable "stiffness springs"
Definitely see what Thuren has to say

OP
OP
6.4LMegaMan

6.4LMegaMan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L
Thuren got back to me this morning. They suggest air bags and possibly a Hellwig sway bar. I also sent an email to Hellwig and CJC.

Why can't we ever leave well enough alone!? LOL. I put $1000 to level the truck then another $1300 on camper tie downs and turn buckles. Now it'll be another $1000 for sway bar and air bags. Anything else I'm missing while we're at it? Only so many times I can tell the wife "this is it, I promise!" Ha!

SouthTexan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
408 CTD
All suggestions offered are good ones and you already have experienced why leveled trucks are not the best for heavy hauling. The OEM sets these trucks up with some degree of positive rake so when loaded it sits level. Level your truck without airbags and then add a lot of weight and your situation is the result.

As previously stated, the reason for the sway is due to where the coils are placed. They are set closer toward the middle causing anything with high center of gravity to sway side to side in the bed. Leaf springs would do the same too if they were placed toward the center rather than toward the ends of the axle. It has nothing to do with the truck being leveled because I have seen multiple trucks have the same issues with campers with a completely stock ride height and stock suspension. Putting any kind of stabilizer in the form of air bags or rubber towards the outer ends fixes this issue.