Truck Starts & Immediately Dies

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

NJMOPAR

Older and faster
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
P0884 Possible Causes
What does this mean?
  • Transmission Control Module (TCM) Power and/or Ground connection
  • Faulty Transmission Control Module (TCM)
  • Transmission Control Module (TCM) harness is open or shorted
  • Transmission Control Module (TCM) circuit poor electrical connection
If this is the problem I'd inspect/clean the electrical connector at the transmission.

OP
OP
S

Sean J Blackburn

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
P0884 Possible Causes
What does this mean?
  • Transmission Control Module (TCM) Power and/or Ground connection
  • Faulty Transmission Control Module (TCM)
  • Transmission Control Module (TCM) harness is open or shorted
  • Transmission Control Module (TCM) circuit poor electrical connection
Thanks Crackerjack1957! I took a look at the ground on the passenger side by the PCM/TCM and the two grounds on the driver side near the battery. All 3 were tight, but they all have a mild-moderate degree of corrosion on them. I'm going to take my dremel and clean them up after work today.

OP
OP
S

Sean J Blackburn

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Also while cleaning the throttle body I accidentally broke the clip on the connector. Turns out that connector is REALLY difficult to find, Napa and autozone didn't have it but oreily did. So I'll be replacing that as well after work along with the IAT sensor as it was covered in a fine dust/dirt due to living in the desert. I know this isn't the problem but documenting it for future searchers

OP
OP
S

Sean J Blackburn

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
If this is the problem I'd inspect/clean the electrical connector at the transmission.
NJ MOPAR, can you tell me where approximately I can find this connector on the transmission? I go through a lot of mud l/dirt and it's entirely possible that the connector got gummed up

NJMOPAR

Older and faster
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
My 2010 4x4 has it on the left side by the transfer case.
There's also a major connection behind the left front fender liner but don't know if that goes to the trans or not. Both connectors are in spots that could get 'splashed'.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Also while cleaning the throttle body I accidentally broke the clip on the connector. Turns out that connector is REALLY difficult to find, Napa and autozone didn't have it but oreily did. So I'll be replacing that as well after work along with the IAT sensor as it was covered in a fine dust/dirt due to living in the desert. I know this isn't the problem but documenting it for future searchers

The dealer will have a repair kit in stock for that connector if you ever need it again.FCA/dealer does have repair kits for alot of the commonly broken connectors

OP
OP
S

Sean J Blackburn

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Good tip Wild one! I just installed the new IAT sensor and harness. Seems to idle way more smoothly with less hunting. The old one was really just covered in dust so it was a happy accident that I ended up needing to replace it. Gonna clean up the grounds after work and go on a hunt for the transmission harness. I'm sure it's covered in dried mud/dirt based on how the rest of the underside looks...

OP
OP
S

Sean J Blackburn

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
OK guys I think I made a major discovery. The wire harnesses at the transmission/transfer case were all fine, but I discovered a ground strap that is in terrible shape! Take a look at the attached pictures. This ground strap appears to be coming off the back of the block on the passenger side somewhere, runs down past the passenger 02 sensor, and is clipped (not bolted) to the inner fender.

So a couple of things. I want to replace this nasty ground strap, what is this particular one called and where can I buy it? Also, where the heck does the other end of it attach?

I'm pretty sure this could be the root of the problem given the p0884 code. I think the ground is either so bad that the PCM is intermittently not getting a good ground and causing stalling, or perhaps the little clip that attaches to the inside of the fender is worn out and not making good contact.

Can someone tell me where to get this ground strap and where the other end attaches? Thank guys!

20210121_143858.jpg

20210121_143903.jpg

20210121_143934.jpg

OP
OP
S

Sean J Blackburn

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I'm not opposed to this idea, but the side that connects to the fender is not a bolt, it's a little clip that clips to the fender. Any idea how to recreate that?

OP
OP
S

Sean J Blackburn

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Doh! Of course, I'm not the smartest sometimes. Now I just have to figure out where the other end of this strap is. It seems to follow the oxygen sensor wire up past the cat towards the back of the engine, but I can't see up there (or feel up there) to see where it terminates. I'll keep messing with it. I did discover that the strap is almost completely frayed apart into two separate pieces, so this is looking more and more like the source of the problem

OP
OP
S

Sean J Blackburn

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I just don't have the access I need to get the top of the ground undone. It runs up past the oxygen sensor over the top of the transmission and behind the back of the block where I can't get to it. I'm just going to have the dealer replace it while they are looking at the truck next Wednesday.

OP
OP
S

Sean J Blackburn

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Update: located a wiring diagram and that ground does not appear related to the pcm or ipm. Upon looking for answers I stumbled across

https://gearsmagazine.com/magazine/...il-safe-codes-related-concerns-and-solutions/

This article states that when dodge vehicles are started, the pcm sends a signal out to the ipm to test the transmission control circuit. If the voltage is outside of normal, then the pcm is programmed to shut down the vehicle! This sounds a heck of a lot like what I'm experiencing especially with the code being about incorrect voltage.

I began thinking about the ipm as a result of this and other problems with my truck like the radio intermittently shutting itself off/freezing/going black. Just today, I realized my backup lights are not coming on while in reverse. All of these seemingly unrelated electrical problems seem to me to be indicative of a failing ipm since this is the common link between those parts. As stated in my initial post two mechanics have said that they can't find anything wrong with the power/ground circuits for the truck as read with a scan tool.

Short of a missed bad wire, it seems that the ipm is looking like a likely suspect. What are your guys' thoughts on this?

OP
OP
S

Sean J Blackburn

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I tried a different IPM and had the same issue, so the IPM isn't the problem.

Adding links to a video of the truck stalling and the Rpms bouncing at startup.

RedSRT4Me

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 CC Sport
Engine
I tried a different IPM and had the same issue, so the IPM isn't the problem.

Adding links to a video of the truck stalling and the Rpms bouncing at startup.

You have a definite vacuum leak if the rpms hang like that or it's part of the already existing problem.

Check your TPS throttle position sensor for voltage irregularities versus at the gas pedal.

danoday

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Not to create confusion, but you said pulled a TCM/PCM code. You have done a lot of troubleshooting. Have you resolved that yet, does it still display after being cleared?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

OP
OP
S

Sean J Blackburn

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Not to create confusion, but you said pulled a TCM/PCM code. You have done a lot of troubleshooting. Have you resolved that yet, does it still display after being cleared?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk
The code comes back after being cleared,but I am almost certain I have discovered the problem! I noticed when I jiggle the key in the ignition switch that the Rpms go crazy, the dash lights act like I'm starting the truck, and most importantly the truck stalls! So I'm pretty sure that the ignition switch/win module is bad and needs to be replaced. I still have my appointment with dodge on Wednesday but I'm about 99 percent sure that the ignition switch/win module is the cause of all the problems!

OP
OP
S

Sean J Blackburn

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Here's a quick video of the truck acting up and eventually stalling when I jiggle the key:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thoffmann517