Truck takes too long to power down.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

appzattak

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
So I'm not sure what the correct terminology is for this, but when I get home and turn off my truck, get out and lock my doors it seems it takes anywhere from 5 to 10 minutes for the truck to fully go to "sleep". I've watched it before and I will see the radio flash the ram logo one last time and then I will finally see, for instance my amps and stuff power down. Does anyone know if there's a way to change that so it'll power down quicker?

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

CincyCuda68

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So I'm not sure what the correct terminology is for this, but when I get home and turn off my truck, get out and lock my doors it seems it takes anywhere from 5 to 10 minutes for the truck to fully go to "sleep". I've watched it before and I will see the radio flash the ram logo one last time and then I will finally see, for instance my amps and stuff power down. Does anyone know if there's a way to change that so it'll power down quicker?

There are some settings for interior lights and headlights in the radio, the radio should go off when the key is out/off and you open the door.

rotwiler

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 QC Outdoorsman
Engine
You can also set time lights stay on etc.

OP
OP
appzattak

appzattak

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
it definitely is not any lights staying on. it definitely is the radio maintaining power for an extended amount of time, even with the screen is showing off. I know this because my AudioControl LC7i stays powered on until the radio finally goes completely off.

TigreST

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
2018 5.7 Sport 4x4 CCab operator here. My radio used to run for about 5 seconds after the engine was shut down (push button start/stop in use, no key required). I went into the 8.4 units apps and found a setting related to "radio delay shut down" or some such which was set to 5 or 10 seconds..and selected "no delay". Now the radio/stereo dies the moment I hit the engine stop/start button for engine shut down. I believe this also effects the accessory circuit because now I can't raise the power windows just after engine shutdown, which is something I could do before.

If I shut down and get out and lock the doors with a interior door lock button the lights stay on for a minute or so (never timed it). But if I shut down, get out, and lock with the key fob remote lock button...the lights wink out directly, or almost directly after having hit the remote lock button.

T.

JPT

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Big Horn
Engine
5.7 Hemi
If I am understanding your question, it is not related to the headlamps or stereo delay. This is a feature of all modern high tech vehicles, they stay powered up for a while. I do not believe there is a setting for this (unless there is some aftermarket programmer that can mess with it).

If you have aftermarket powered amp(s), you want to move your signal from a 12V source that keeps the stereo alive, and move it to either an accessory wire that powers down with the stereo delay, or one that is only 12v when the vehicle is running. Personally this would be my choice (on only when running), I wouldn't run aftermarket amp(s) without the vehicle running, it would just unnecessarily tax the battery.

If you are talking about the factory amp, don't worry about it, as long as you have a good battery and a properly functioning charging system; they are designed for this delay before standby mode

This is why when you install a pedal commander, you need to take your key away from the vehicle, and wait 20 minutes (in the instructions). I take the added step of leaving the door open (opening the door can put it back into powered up mode).

My Audi stays "alive" fro 20 minutes after a shutdown. When I need to do work that requires power down, I have to also do the door open trick, or disconnect the battery.

FXCLM5

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Laramie CC
Engine
ED 3.0 V6
I use the alfaobd app and agree what the OP is saying.

The truck never seems to fully go to sleep until seriously after 7-10 mins.

Like the ecu, and the ecm bcm tcm dont go to zzz immediately when the truck is parked and turned off.

But this is normal. The hardest thing to do is waiting for the change to actually take - read/rewrites into the ecu after you hit the magic button on the alfaobd app, that only happens after the truck goes to zzzzz.

I have and numerous others have restarted the truck numerous times thinking the truck has went to zzzzz and it reflashed the new codes, when it technically never went to zzzzz.

OP
OP
appzattak

appzattak

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
If I am understanding your question, it is not related to the headlamps or stereo delay. This is a feature of all modern high tech vehicles, they stay powered up for a while. I do not believe there is a setting for this (unless there is some aftermarket programmer that can mess with it).

If you have aftermarket powered amp(s), you want to move your signal from a 12V source that keeps the stereo alive, and move it to either an accessory wire that powers down with the stereo delay, or one that is only 12v when the vehicle is running. Personally this would be my choice (on only when running), I wouldn't run aftermarket amp(s) without the vehicle running, it would just unnecessarily tax the battery.

If you are talking about the factory amp, don't worry about it, as long as you have a good battery and a properly functioning charging system; they are designed for this delay before standby mode

This is why when you install a pedal commander, you need to take your key away from the vehicle, and wait 20 minutes (in the instructions). I take the added step of leaving the door open (opening the door can put it back into powered up mode).

My Audi stays "alive" fro 20 minutes after a shutdown. When I need to do work that requires power down, I have to also do the door open trick, or disconnect the battery.
So my AudioControl LC7i is what powers up the Amps. It detects speaker level input and turns on, then in turn sends power to the Amps. So when the radio takes 10 mins or so to fully power down, it keeps the signal going and the LC7i stays on and thus the amps.

I just think all that added time powered up takes a toll on the battery. I just had to replace my battery and my truck is only a 2017, I kinda thought that was a bit premature.

buddy guy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
lot premature unless defective battery. you should get 3 yrs at least out of the battery on your Ram.

JPT

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Big Horn
Engine
5.7 Hemi
So my AudioControl LC7i is what powers up the Amps. It detects speaker level input and turns on, then in turn sends power to the Amps. So when the radio takes 10 mins or so to fully power down, it keeps the signal going and the LC7i stays on and thus the amps.

I just think all that added time powered up takes a toll on the battery. I just had to replace my battery and my truck is only a 2017, I kinda thought that was a bit premature.

I suggest finding a wire that has power only when the truck is running. Use this as the signal to turn on your amps. Once you find the wire, you can just tap into that as the signal. You also can put an inline switch on this wire in case you want to have the truck running without the amps on (say you need to jump start and drive home until you can get a new battery in an emergency).

It is normal for the radio and computer to say alive for 15+ minutes after you lock the vehicle and walk away.

Ramcharger84

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Big Horn crew
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I got some kind of update Friday, now my radio stays on after I exit or sometimes shuts off with the key. Don't seem to have a setting for it anymore. Just had the truck 11 days...

No more updates!