Truck won’t start

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mdk2

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L V8 Hemi
I have a 2018 ram 1500 hemi. I haven’t driven it for 3-4 days. Got in this morning to start it up and just got one single click. Radio and everything came on. I noticed the engine light blinking but I believe other ones were too.

Anyone else ever have this issue? I recently just had the head gasket replaced on this thing too. Been a bad few months with this.

Merry Christmas everyone.

jws123

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Um bad battery? did you try to jump or charge it yet? and wow head gasket replaced on a 2018 what happened lol.

OP
OP
M

mdk2

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L V8 Hemi
Um bad battery? did you try to jump or charge it yet? and wow head gasket replaced on a 2018 what happened lol.
Yep. Thinking I was sold a piece of garbage at this point. I’ve only had it for 7 months.

CamperMike

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Wow another head gasket 2018. Is yours also a hemi? Mine had head replaced at 58k miles but never a no start. Head gasket was leaking externally.

OP
OP
M

mdk2

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L V8 Hemi
Wow another head gasket 2018. Is yours also a hemi? Mine had head replaced at 58k miles but never a no start. Head gasket was leaking externally.
Hemi here too. It was overheating and leaking, head gasket was done. Now just today I’m getting this issue, I’m thinking it is the starter that went now.

CamperMike

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hope it's just the battery. My head gasket issue sounds similar. Was yours passenger or driver Side? Mine was in the passenger side.

OP
OP
M

mdk2

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L V8 Hemi
Hope it's just the battery. My head gasket issue sounds similar. Was yours passenger or driver Side? Mine was in the passenger side.
Passenger side as well. Luckily, I’m covered on a warranty.

Mister Luck

cassis tutissima virtus
Reaction score
Ram Year
2016/2017
Engine
5.7 V8
Head gasket only not other parts like o2 sensors ?
Coolant into the exhaust flow and say bye-by.

EdGs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Check connections and have your battery load tested. Simple stuff first.

I read somewhere on here that Ram had so many batteries that older dated ones were actually going in new vehicles (still a new battery, just older code dates).

One member here had similar trouble as you, and it turned out to be the ground connection near the starter.

May your repairs go smoothly.

Nicholas Cove

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Sounds like a low battery or even a starter. Charge or jump the battery and go from there. That's strange that the head gasket went bad, do you tow? Did it have a leak that overheated the engine not at the head gasket ?

OP
OP
M

mdk2

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L V8 Hemi
Got it started this morning by jumping it. Let it run for a while. Drove it down to autozone and asked them to test the battery. Battery was 79% they said it was good and alternator was good. My question is, can’t the battery still be bad? I’ve been able to turn it off and start it right up.

Dodge 1500 4X4

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Did they load test the battery? these Mopar batteries will test all good and still have a bad cell, you still have the 3yrs 36 mo. factory warrantee take it to the dealer and let them give you a new battery.

CamperMike

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If it's dead again in the morning my money is on a bad battery. 79% isn't good either... if your alternator is working how would it discharge? Unless it's bad...

OP
OP
M

mdk2

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L V8 Hemi
If it's dead again in the morning my money is on a bad battery. 79% isn't good either... if your alternator is working how would it discharge? Unless it's bad...
Started up perfectly this morning. There’s obviously enough charge in the battery but when it sits for more than 3 days or so the battery drains. Has to be a bad battery.

RamInfo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
Disconnect the battery and let the truck sit for several days, then see if it starts when reconnected. You may have a small parasitic drain that’s running down your battery. Ran into that on my son’s Jeep and tracked it down to the aftermarket sound system installed.

best,
DG

Lyle Longboat

2011 Ram 1500 5.7 Sport CC
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Starter most likely starting to go. Mine did this and even stalled every so often. It would start with a boost, however one day I parked it at a grocery store and came
Out, no start. Even after a boost, nothing. Started in on hooking up the truck to tow and gave one more try and she fired up. Got home and it never started again. New battery, nothing , same thing, all lights on dash and clicking. Turns out to be the starter itself, not relay or ground.

Hemimania

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
If it is indeed the battery, don't skimp on the replacement. Go to Advance Auto and get a Die Hard. Mine went after 3yrs in my 2015.

Hemimania

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Disconnect the battery and let the truck sit for several days, then see if it starts when reconnected. You may have a small parasitic drain that’s running down your battery. Ran into that on my son’s Jeep and tracked it down to the aftermarket sound system installed.

best,
DG
How did u fix this parasitic drain? I'm having the same problem in a Nissan work van.

Fishhaggis

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My truck wouldn’t start one morning. Turned out when I had cleaned it and put the floor carpets back in, it was sitting on the gas peddle, depressing the peddle a bit. That resulted in the truck doing a safety shut out. Dumb way to kill the truck. Forehead slapper when I figured it out.