Truck Wont Start; Key Stuck

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RamLife_TX

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hello,

I have a 2012 Ram 1500 ST and the truck will not start or crank and the key is stuck in the ignition. At first it was the battery. Took it to the parts store to get it warrantied but they said it just needed to be charged because it was at 4 volts. They charged it overnight and i picked it up the next morning. Installed the battery and everything was working great. The next day I try to start the truck and the same thing happened again. The parts store tested my alternator, battery (Which was at 13 volts), and starter. Everything came back good. Now the battery light is on even though the battery is fully charged and the truck will not turn over at all. I have to jump start the truck just to get the key out. I have no idea what is wrong. Any help would be nice.

P.S. both times when the truck would not start nothing was left on overnight. My truck does not have map lights, glove box lights, just a single overhead light. Everything was turned off but somehow the battery was at 4 volts the first time.

joelmic

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Ram 1500 Express Quad Cab 3.6L 4x4 20x9 Wheels
Engine
did you install anything recently? sounds like you do have a battery drain/short somewhere...

co-pilot

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
You do have a bad battery

Have it load tested at another parts house

Daw14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Your battery will not hold a charge , if it was load tested it will not pass. Starters need amps to crank, which yours is lacking. Needs new battery.

OnSale

5th Gen Crew
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Hello,

I have a 2012 Ram 1500 ST and the truck will not start or crank and the key is stuck in the ignition. At first it was the battery. Took it to the parts store to get it warrantied but they said it just needed to be charged because it was at 4 volts. They charged it overnight and i picked it up the next morning. Installed the battery and everything was working great. The next day I try to start the truck and the same thing happened again. The parts store tested my alternator, battery (Which was at 13 volts), and starter. Everything came back good. Now the battery light is on even though the battery is fully charged and the truck will not turn over at all. I have to jump start the truck just to get the key out. I have no idea what is wrong. Any help would be nice.

P.S. both times when the truck would not start nothing was left on overnight. My truck does not have map lights, glove box lights, just a single overhead light. Everything was turned off but somehow the battery was at 4 volts the first time.

I just had this EXACT same problem less then a month ago. I also have a 2012 Ram ST, almost identical situation. Key would not come out.

https://www.ramforum.com/index.php?.....-help!.175949/&share_type=t&link_source=app

My battery was only 4 months old, nothing was left on overnight. In the end it turns out even though the battery was “testing” as good, it was bad. Pep Boys exchanged it under warranty and I haven’t had any issues since.

It is 1,000% the battery, don’t let anyone tell you differently.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk