Trx driveline swap on a 2012 ram 1500

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Homemadetrx

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have started turning my 2012 ram 1500 into a trx clone bedsides fenders dirt king suspension etc my next step will be to swap the dash wiring and dash with the trx parts I have already sourced all the parts and the whole driveline my question is has anyone done this sort of swap before?

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
my next step will be to swap the dash wiring and dash with the trx parts I have already sourced
Keep in mind that the vehicle communication busses changed with the '13 model year truck, any of the electronics like the dash and modules from a TRX won't communicate with your '12.

Quick_Shifter

IG: @ak_trucks_pa
Supporting Member
TOTY Winner
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
AK Trucks Tuned 5.7
I have started turning my 2012 ram 1500 into a trx clone bedsides fenders dirt king suspension etc my next step will be to swap the dash wiring and dash with the trx parts I have already sourced all the parts and the whole driveline my question is has anyone done this sort of swap before?
Interesting? What are the plans for the rear suspension as the TRX components are triple the size.

I’m curious of the interior swap the 5th gen 2500 are the same but the TRX is 5th gen 1500.

I took a 1984 fox body and did a full conversion to a 93 so I know anything is possible with the right motivation

OP
OP
H

Homemadetrx

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Interesting? What are the plans for the rear suspension as the TRX components are triple the size.

I’m curious of the interior swap the 5th gen 2500 are the same but the TRX is 5th gen 1500.

I took a 1984 fox body and did a full conversion to a 93 so I know anything is possible with the right motivation
Rear suspension is all from dirt king the guys who designed trx suspension

crazykid1994

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So you are doing a bolt in long travel kit, Not installing the actual ram trx suspension? Are you planning on swapping your engine and transmission out as well or keeping the 5.7 and 6 speed? May be a good idea to ant least do the 8 speed swap. You also mention planning on installing the interior from a 5th gen 1500. Are you planning on upgrading the entire wiring harness, pcm, bcm, and other electronics or do you have some way for your 2012 computer to communicate with the radio and other components? The dash in the 5th gen uses a different canbus signal than your 2012.

OP
OP
H

Homemadetrx

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So you are doing a bolt in long travel kit, Not installing the actual ram trx suspension? Are you planning on swapping your engine and transmission out as well or keeping the 5.7 and 6 speed? May be a good idea to ant least do the 8 speed swap. You also mention planning on installing the interior from a 5th gen 1500. Are you planning on upgrading the entire wiring harness, pcm, bcm, and other electronics or do you have some way for your 2012 computer to communicate with the radio and other components? The dash in the 5th gen uses a different canbus signal than your 2012.
Yea long travel kit from dirt king I will using the engine transfer case diff and transmission out of the Trx. And yea I plan on basically pulling all the electronics and wiring from the Trx and installing it into my 12 so everything will communicate properly

Minotaur 013

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Or you can just find a used Ram Minotaur and drop in the drivetrain.

Dan90

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Sport
Engine
5.7L Hemi
@Boosted Motorsports has some youtube videos you might be interested in :)

Also, truck looks good so far. Who did the fiberglass fenders?

OcallyRamFam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yea his build inspired the hellcat motor

Thanks I did everything in my driveway
@Boosted Motorsports has some youtube videos you might be interested in :)

Also, truck looks good so far. Who did the fiberglass fenders?
I think he meant who made the fenders (unless youre saying you bucked em in your driveway!?!?) either way Im interested in more details as well

Beers!
S