Tuning

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RamKing70

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Looks like I'm entering the world of custom tuning. There is sooooooo much info about who does what better. I just wanted to try to get all my info in one thread. Who is using what tuner and why? I am planning on swapping my PCM as well. I won't do a plug n play, I go all the way lol!!! I was looking at 3 as of right now, all of which offer the PCM swap with purchase. What are you thoughts on these? Thank you all for your help and thoughts!

Superchips Flashpaq F5
Superchips Dashpaq
Diablo/sport/trinity

RedSRT4Me

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 CC Sport
Engine
Looks like I'm entering the world of custom tuning. There is sooooooo much info about who does what better. I just wanted to try to get all my info in one thread. Who is using what tuner and why? I am planning on swapping my PCM as well. I won't do a plug n play, I go all the way lol!!! I was looking at 3 as of right now, all of which offer the PCM swap with purchase. What are you thoughts on these? Thank you all for your help and thoughts!

Superchips Flashpaq F5
Superchips Dashpaq
Diablo/sport/trinity

What flavor of Ram are we working with here?

OP
OP
R

RamKing70

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi

16 hemi express 4x4
35x12.5x18 wheels n tires
gears changed from 3.21 to 3.55
getting ready to put in a BDS 4" lift with fox resi shocks all around
K&N cold air
flowmaster super 10 muffler

RedSRT4Me

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 CC Sport
Engine
16 hemi express 4x4
35x12.5x18 wheels n tires
gears changed from 3.21 to 3.55
getting ready to put in a BDS 4" lift with fox resi shocks all around
K&N cold air
flowmaster super 10 muffler

With the 16 are you wanting to do the PCM unlock then tune? HPTuners and Diablo Sport would be your two top tier choices. Both will tune PCM (engine) and TCM (transmission). The more modifications you make the more the tuner ties it all together. You really can't go wrong unless you go cheap. Just saying :cheers:

OP
OP
R

RamKing70

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi

I guess I should tell you my reasons. I want to be able to change the shift points to try to get my ECO better as I do a lot of highway driving and really don't want to go back to 33s or street tires. My current wheel tire combo went up about 24 lbs at each corner. Seems like the tranny is working a little harder than I want it to. It almost sounds like it has split or half gears in between the shifts. So I'm thinking that I can get in and tweak it a little bit. Besides, having an unlocked PCM will, lets just say, be more fun hahaha!!!

OP
OP
R

RamKing70

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
With the 16 are you wanting to do the PCM unlock then tune? HPTuners and Diablo Sport would be your two top tier choices. Both will tune PCM (engine) and TCM (transmission). The more modifications you make the more the tuner ties it all together. You really can't go wrong unless you go cheap. Just saying :cheers:

On the Superchips page, they say that they include a PCM swap with the purchase as well. Everything seems to be comparable in price, within a couple hundo. Not that I'm to worried about price. Looks like most of them have a PCM swap option. So that brings the question, which one offers more options and is trusted best?

DILLIGAF

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ask your tuner what he prefers and go from there.

RedSRT4Me

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 CC Sport
Engine
Does that setup allow for tranny shift changes? Can I tweak the ECO settings?

Diablo Sport can make infinite adjustments to the truck. You either need CMR tuner credits to try yourself or pay someone like Hemifever to email tune your vehicle. I've never used Hemifever personally but he is highly recommended and a forum sponsor.

RedSRT4Me

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 CC Sport
Engine
I guess I should tell you my reasons. I want to be able to change the shift points to try to get my ECO better as I do a lot of highway driving and really don't want to go back to 33s or street tires. My current wheel tire combo went up about 24 lbs at each corner. Seems like the tranny is working a little harder than I want it to. It almost sounds like it has split or half gears in between the shifts. So I'm thinking that I can get in and tweak it a little bit. Besides, having an unlocked PCM will, lets just say, be more fun hahaha!!!

Ah ha! You my friend are in need of a regear. Hopefully you're at least working with 3.92's. If not 3.21's are not your friend with an additional 24's pounds of 35's at each corner.

Curious. How did you do the 3.55 swap on the front anyway??

OP
OP
R

RamKing70

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Ah ha! You my friend are in need of a regear. Hopefully you're at least working with 3.92's. If not 3.21's are not your friend with an additional 24's pounds of 35's at each corner.

Curious. How did you do the 3.55 swap on the front anyway??

Yeah I switched to 3.55s. Was able to just change the ring and pinion in the rear diff, but had to change the entire front diff assy. I could not find just the juts and the front carrier has a welded ring gear. I found a diff for 400 with about the same mileage that I had. I'm wondering if I should have went to 3.92s but because of all the highway driving, I did not want the high RPMs on the highway. But now have to play with the tranny. I went to 3.55s because of the calculator that I used. It said that 3.55s would bring me back close to stock RPMs.

Nick@GotExhaust

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
We can help with getting you set up with a tuning device. If you plan to stay with the canned tunes the programmers come with then I recommend the Diablosport. Now if you plan to get a custom tune at some point, you should contact your tuner and see what brand/device they use/prefer.

OP
OP
R

RamKing70

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
We can help with getting you set up with a tuning device. If you plan to stay with the canned tunes the programmers come with then I recommend the Diablosport. Now if you plan to get a custom tune at some point, you should contact your tuner and see what brand/device they use/prefer.

I don't think I would be staying with a box tune. I've not heard too many good things about them. I do know that what ever way I go, I will be doing a PCM swap so I have no limits. Not that I would change everything, but I want that option lol. I have not yet talked to any shops in my area about tuning. I'm just now getting started with my info gathering. I do all of my own mechanical work. I would probably take on this task as well, however, I don't want to break my truck hahha. Where in NY are you? I'm just outside Buffalo. Thanks for the help

Edit,

Of my OP, what are your thoughts on the tuners I mentioned? Would you recommend any others with PCM swap?

RedSRT4Me

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 CC Sport
Engine
Yeah I switched to 3.55s. Was able to just change the ring and pinion in the rear diff, but had to change the entire front diff assy. I could not find just the juts and the front carrier has a welded ring gear. I found a diff for 400 with about the same mileage that I had. I'm wondering if I should have went to 3.92s but because of all the highway driving, I did not want the high RPMs on the highway. But now have to play with the tranny. I went to 3.55s because of the calculator that I used. It said that 3.55s would bring me back close to stock RPMs.

Well friend since you now have a diff that can accept optional gears now I'm assuming step-up to 4.56 with 35's and you'll get that power loss from the weight and increase tire size. Are you 6 speed or 8?

I run 4.56's 8spd and bolt-ons. People do not expect this truck to move as quickly as it does on 37's. Highway driving is perfect. Yeah you're going to get around 2500 rpms in 8th at 85 :D. But it accelerates so effortlessly without down shift. But at 70 your sitting around 2k.

I would never lift or put off road tires on a truck without a regear ever again. If I can't regear it's not the truck for me. The fun factor goes down so bad.

DILLIGAF

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Got pix of your truck? Just read your signature line. You have a lot going on. lol

Jay Green cam upgrade in the works :)

e9iJLH-td5dVDwx5k9c_zodOOgcHzGoJnO2unwXX67AW198FLfXOTMWpki2CySScqLwjDM-rzndZzBR0-XmqIWlFO0B11rLuo_wo3SQxYcD67kUdM1bVppv2h7OTHF8recRFDoOip0Rueh7-Y5erIkLq0pHTOQ4ymKCJenV3b0Jxpwtqd6zTnOuussXsG6LlFvnOvXo1FhK1sxG2P5IaHoEU9s4BevS9m1vqeUZXVm9RPrnCAW1EQeawERa689MqK8S8Euog6IUuYaDA0KBXvYJZYjppoTmEseRHEywKTg2pl1kvpmlnXh0R_6uXYp48KUGmb1JB-8bjT4UBZ03p6LLlX6vNiYJoJqqS5QVOxeHeN4LXhp1X4n3YEMyGBmlAMk4KArS8f3KIgA4UJiBluQSDWWuDAfifvaTNrFIM0gg5eXzJwu1rRjnYjTGSYF_B35wYIYj3xXfiZsBzXWFqcJR_rTlDJMIragu-cfTdlkioqD3Nhvru53F1L710_OqbazvYvBMsDTy-uSrxmmvI4Jh9CnfPow_-3IQXBKyQjgRUp6jozYH92s7KNxH7Ksp2hje6agYv5hL4yj9YrNQtrl34NbOvgJuvm8AAP-nr4S3fXtnwyPTqjjJDk8CoU6rmtHdwP6KuL1oIGfDZUIcOQIAPINS2yTOTKvk-MHRdZXcxWgarqZkt0_-nhC16-Jk=w1920-h960-no

crazykid1994

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have 35s on my truck. 8 speed and 3.92 gears. I love them. Highway I get around 16mpg. My setup is 101lbs per corner. Mickey Thompson atz p3 inn305/70r18 with 18x9 -12 wheels. Highway rpms are not bad at all.
Well friend since you now have a diff that can accept optional gears now I'm assuming step-up to 4.56 with 35's and you'll get that power loss from the weight and increase tire size. Are you 6 speed or 8?

I run 4.56's 8spd and bolt-ons. People do not expect this truck to move as quickly as it does on 37's. Highway driving is perfect. Yeah you're going to get around 2500 rpms in 8th at 85 :D. But it accelerates so effortlessly without down shift. But at 70 your sitting around 2k.

I would never lift or put off road tires on a truck without a regear ever again. If I can't regear it's not the truck for me. The fun factor goes down so bad.
I don’t think he swapped to an earlier diff. Just a used one with 3.55 gears already.

OP
OP
R

RamKing70

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi

Even though I changed the front diff totally, it will not accept any other gears unless I can find the carrier in the gearing that I'm looking for. They all have a welded ring to the carrier. That is the ***** part of our front diffs.