Turbo failure - brand new ‘19 CTD

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SGBCAN

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
So I wait for months for my truck to show up, it shows up, I’m obviously stoked... Drive it less than 50 kms (I’m in Canada eh) and the check engine light comes on. Notify dealer he says don’t worry, drive it for a couple of days and bring it back when you can. Well they’ve had it for two days, apparently on the line with engineers and have been told to replace the entire turbo unit. No biggie right. Wrong. No parts, not in Canada, not in USA, nowhere. Now what?

MADDOG

Not RamForum Staff
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Now you wait. I had to wait for a month to get a new engine for my 2014 CC 2500. Apparently replacement 6.4L HEMI engines were in short supply.

They should provide you with a loaner for the entire time they have your truck.

Did they give you any specifics on what specifically failed???

Sorry for your troubles.

OP
OP
S

SGBCAN

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
Through a code for low boost, and they have apparently exhausted all possible fixes and suspect it’s a bad turbo from the factory.

Yes, my dealer is awesome, he threw me the keys to a brand new ‘19 Longhorn 1500 and said sorry, we don’t have any HDs, you have the first and only in the area, hope this truck will work for now.

OP
OP
S

SGBCAN

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
Apparently they are getting in a complete new turbo unit direct from Cummins, there are no parts for these new engines yet anywhere :( They have told me it's been "expedited", time will tell I guess. On warranty of course, but they tell me it's a $14,000.00 repair if it wasn't on warranty. I was like, "dude, I wouldn't be putting a POS stock turbo on it if I was paying"!

olyelr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Apparently they are getting in a complete new turbo unit direct from Cummins, there are no parts for these new engines yet anywhere :( They have told me it's been "expedited", time will tell I guess. On warranty of course, but they tell me it's a $14,000.00 repair if it wasn't on warranty. I was like, "dude, I wouldn't be putting a POS stock turbo on it if I was paying"!

Fourteen frikin thousand dollars?! :insane:

Nickx86

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi

Ouch for 14k for turbo and labor, thank god for warranty work. I think they are using new turbos, hence why the delay. I’m curios why it failed in the first place

ThunderMug95

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Nothing surprises me any more...No joke, I bought a brand new ‘12 Honda XR650L and week later when I went to put a performance air filter on it guess what I found in the airbox??
Effing McDonalds french fries...4 or 5 of them. Just hanging out.

FirstDiesel

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So I wait for months for my truck to show up, it shows up, I’m obviously stoked... Drive it less than 50 kms (I’m in Canada eh) and the check engine light comes on. Notify dealer he says don’t worry, drive it for a couple of days and bring it back when you can. Well they’ve had it for two days, apparently on the line with engineers and have been told to replace the entire turbo unit. No biggie right. Wrong. No parts, not in Canada, not in USA, nowhere. Now what?
My 2014 3500 had the turbo go out in November. Replaced it with a remanufactured turbo and an old style actuator since the ones for the new turbos were on backorder. I had to buy an adapter so the old actuator would hook up to the new turbo. There is definitely a problem with these turbos and actuators!!!

OP
OP
S

SGBCAN

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
My 2014 3500 had the turbo go out in November. Replaced it with a remanufactured turbo and an old style actuator since the ones for the new turbos were on backorder. I had to buy an adapter so the old actuator would hook up to the new turbo. There is definitely a problem with these turbos and actuators!!!

Of course the dealer says "oh we have never had any problems with the turbos on these things".

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Of course the dealer says "oh we have never had any problems with the turbos on these things".

I think every dealer only knows how to say "first Ive heard of it!" to everything. Its crazy how they could be so busy that appointments are 3 weeks out, but they have never ever heard of any issue before, ever.

RBAT

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

"we don’t have any HDs, you have the first and only in the area"

Yeah, if you have the only one I guess that is possible.

BossHogg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
It would be interesting if we had access to warranty claims so we could see how many turbo failures were filed under the warranty and compare that to the number of sold units.

smiley

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 2500 Crew
Engine
6.7L Cummins
Tuned in. I hope it is fixed soon.

OP
OP
S

SGBCAN

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
UPDATE: dealer delivered it back to me last night, the turbo was definitely not right from the factory. I thought it pulled pretty good before, now it’s incredible! Also right from delivery the boost gauge would not move unless I stomped on it, now the gauge is fairly active all the time. This is an awesome truck.

slacadjuster

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
Through a code for low boost, and they have apparently exhausted all possible fixes and suspect it’s a bad turbo from the factory.

Yes, my dealer is awesome, he threw me the keys to a brand new ‘19 Longhorn 1500 and said sorry, we don’t have any HDs, you have the first and only in the area, hope this truck will work for now.

LOL, "threw" NOT "through"

Elkman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6
If there were no problems with the OEM turbos there would not be such a large market with companies producing turbos for owners of Ford, Chevy, and Ram engines. I doubt many people appreciate that a Cummins engine that goes into a pickup truck is a completely different engine than the ones that go into a Freightliner and there is in no way comparable reliability or durability.