Turn on fog lights

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Marshall

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 sport
Engine
5.7 hemi
On my last 2 , just push in on the head light switch, if factory, I think there is a small picture of the fog lights on the face of the switch.
If you don't have that , than maybe wired in with the head lights .
You can't run fog and hi beam at the same time on the factory set up.
If you look at the wire harness, should be able to tell if a factory job or aftermarket crap crimped together, and black tape, tie straps.

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
On my 2017 Big Horn 1500, I have factory fog lights, there is a button below the light switch that shows a symbol of a light with diagonal lines going down. When on there is an indicator on the dash (I believe in the speedometer).

RBAT

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
<Hey David Langford, I believe that switch is for the lamp over the bed of your pickup>

Took me 4 years plus to figure that out on my 2017 Laramie. After getting bit ($) needing to have burned out bulbs replaced on my other vehicles during state inspection I decided to preinspect the Ram before it went in for inspection. Only after much digging in the owners manual did I finally discover that I had been turning on the cargo light all these years and the fogs had never been turned on.

Justin33

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
On my last 2 , just push in on the head light switch, if factory, I think there is a small picture of the fog lights on the face of the switch.
If you don't have that , than maybe wired in with the head lights .
You can't run fog and hi beam at the same time on the factory set up.
If you look at the wire harness, should be able to tell if a factory job or aftermarket crap crimped together, and black tape, tie straps.
Yeah you can because I disabled the drop out with Alfa I can have lows highs and fogs all on.

NikNak

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
My 2017 Tradesman Express 1500 came with fog lights & it was the main push button on the light switch dial.

BCLJ

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I dont think those are stock lights however if they are and if you have the dial for your lights, it should say push on it and that will turn on the fog lights. If you use the auto function, they will turn on and off with the headlights and you dont need to keep pushing the button. IMG_0857.JPG

magman777

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
My 2018 Tradesman had the fog/driving lights in the bumper. They didn't work. Raised the hood to follow wires and the wiring harness was coiled up behind the battery box. It was all there but not hooked up. That was before I hit the deer and they never did get wired up.

Intense-Dakota

Landscape and Nature Photographer
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hi, not sure if this been asked before or not. I just purchased a 2017 ram 2500 tradesman. Does anyone know how to turn the fog lights on? We cannot figure it out for the life of us. On mine, the headlight button doesn't push in. Sorry if this is a stupid question..
Any word? I am curious what you found out.

OP
OP
C

cgugler

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I apologize for not getting on here sooner. I wasn't receiving notifications that I was getting replies lol anyway, I did crawl underneath the truck and check. They are not wired in but there is a plugin on each of them which I would assume would be a way to wire them in if there was a way to. But I never was able to see if there was any wiring further underneath. I do know there is no switch inside to be able to turn them on if they were wired in. Like a lot of you said, it is a aftermarket bumper. I may have to do further investigating

OP
OP
C

cgugler

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
My 2018 Tradesman had the fog/driving lights in the bumper. They didn't work. Raised the hood to follow wires and the wiring harness was coiled up behind the battery box. It was all there but not hooked up. That was before I hit the deer and they never did get wired up.
I'll have to check under the hood and see if they maybe put something there. I didn't get that far when I checked.

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Ram 1500 Limited 4X4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I apologize for not getting on here sooner. I wasn't receiving notifications that I was getting replies lol anyway, I did crawl underneath the truck and check. They are not wired in but there is a plugin on each of them which I would assume would be a way to wire them in if there was a way to. But I never was able to see if there was any wiring further underneath. I do know there is no switch inside to be able to turn them on if they were wired in. Like a lot of you said, it is a aftermarket bumper. I may have to do further investigating
So what you’re saying is, this truck has an aftermarket front bumper that the previous owner put some kind of lights in it, correct?

It is highly possible that even though the previous owner put on an aftermarket front bumper with lights- whether they came with the bumper or they added them later that they could have just never got around to hooking them up and being that you say your headlight switch is not the kind that can be pushed in to turn on the factory fog lights if it had them, you’re probably just going to have to run your own wiring in order to use them unless you can find an aftermarket toggle switch in the cab of the truck somewhere on the driver side.

If you just simply cannot find a switch anywhere inside and if there’s no wiring going to the lights or anywhere under the dash where there might be some non-factory looking wiring then just look around and see if you can find a lighting wiring kit and hook them up yourself.

BossHogg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
They are not wired in but there is a plugin on each of them which I would assume would be a way to wire them in if there was a way to.
Check the lower part of the center stack and see if the truck came with the optional AUX switches. If you have them it would make a good place to wire in the fogs.

OP
OP
C

cgugler

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So what you’re saying is, this truck has an aftermarket front bumper that the previous owner put some kind of lights in it, correct?

It is highly possible that even though the previous owner put on an aftermarket front bumper with lights- whether they came with the bumper or they added them later that they could have just never got around to hooking them up and being that you say your headlight switch is not the kind that can be pushed in to turn on the factory fog lights if it had them, you’re probably just going to have to run your own wiring in order to use them unless you can find an aftermarket toggle switch in the cab of the truck somewhere on the driver side.

If you just simply cannot find a switch anywhere inside and if there’s no wiring going to the lights or anywhere under the dash where there might be some non-factory looking wiring then just look around and see if you can find a lighting wiring kit and hook them up yourself.
yes, thats about all i can figure out is that it is a aftermarket bumper. and no, my headlight switch doesnt have the option to push it in for fog lights. and i cant find a switch for it otherwise. i may end up hooking them up myself if i want the fog lights. i do want to add extra lights anyway.

OP
OP
C

cgugler

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Check the lower part of the center stack and see if the truck came with the optional AUX switches. If you have them it would make a good place to wire in the fogs.
ill check that out and see