UCONNECT 730N Being A Butt Head

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dan Lockwood

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L
Hey all, good evening.

I have a '12 RAM 3500 and I've owned it a year. All the time I've had it, the touch screen seemed a bit off and un-sensitive to touch. Using the NAV address features drives me crazy, short trip that is...

I ordered the HERE map and radio update for $99. I just installed the radio update first to 2.700, then the MAP updates.

All went fine, but when I try to enter in a state, like South Dakota, when I hit the S it registers the T or even sometimes the W, but NEVER the S. The BACK arrow on the upper left doesn't seem to work in the NAV section at all. When I was entering my activation code for the upgraded MAPS, it took me over a minute to get 12 numbers in order. If I had the 3, a 7 would show up, etc... :(

Is anyone else having such issues?

Also sometimes my SAT won't fire up, but the AM, FM etc will work fine, just not the SAT. I can turn off and on the head unit and sometimes it will start working again. Other times I just listen to FM for a time and then the SAT will start to work again. The CD also hangs up in the slot.

Is there a refurbing company for the head units? In my Nissan Murano I just sold, I updated it with a Pioneer AVIC 7200-NEX with NAV and Apple Play. Did the SWC module so my steering wheel buttons would work. Great head unit and sounded awesome.

Any suggestions on where to throw the POS head unit? :)

Thanks in advance.

Dan

PS:

Are all 730N head units same year to year interchangeable? Like a Charger 730N into my RAM 3500?

jawzs2

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010, 2014
Engine
1500, 3500
I know you said the screen has always been acting up, but was it the same before and after the update?

Sounds like the touch screen may be going bad, but you may have other issues also. A couple of options, try to find a screen on ebay, screens from an RER and RHR 730N radios are the same, and one from a 430 REN will also fit. New ones run about $150 - $175, check out factoryradioparts, so don't spend more than that used.

Don't think that will fix your SAT and CD issue though

There are two different versions of the radios, some vehicles like the Ram use what's called a high speed CAN bus for vehicle communications, others like the Charger use a low speed CAN bus, so they are not interchangeable. I know the Minivans, Wrangler, Liberty and Nitro are high speed, all the rest are low, with the exception of the grand cherokee after 2010, but it has a different front mounting bolt pattern.

You may be better off just replacing the radio, either finding a good used one, or go aftermarket. infotainment.com does offer a repair service for these radios

Once last piece of advice, if you come across a post telling you how to get into the engineering mode, and you see the calibrate screen option, DO NOT TRY IT in the hopes it will fix it. You will make the radio unusable.