Uconnect 8.4 soft reboot

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MJockey

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
Ended up going to the dealer. They did a “Update” to the Uconnect and it started working again. I sill believe a reboot would have fixed it. Seems crazy not to have a way to restart/ reboot the Uconnect software.

Udaloy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I call BS as well. 2017 with 8.4 here, and it doesn't do **** holding VR and phone buttons. Is this a joke?

marks146

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 6.4
"Step 1) Put your vehicle into the accessories mode (ACC or RUN) **For keyless start (push-button) vehicles: push the start button twice without having your foot on the gas or brake pedal**
Step 2) Hold in the Phone and voice recognition buttons (or volume and tuner knobs), at the same time, for thirty seconds.
Step 3) Let go of the buttons(after the screen goes black)
Step 4) Turn vehicle off
Step 5) Open driver’s side door for thirty seconds
Step 6) Close door
Step 7) Restart vehicle
Step 8) Let the media center load up and see if concern is still present"

Try holding in the red and blue temp up / temp down buttons found in the radio / heater cluster under the CRT instead of the phone and VR buttons. This is how uconnect had me do this reset. Follow all the other directions such as the restart and door open / close steps. This fixed all my issues with the uconnect app.

Kimber45cdp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
after some searching i found that holding in the volume and browse knobs will do a soft reboot on my 2016 SLT

Rob j

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
How do I fix the uconnect app not working to lock unlock or start vehicle it keeps failing

marks146

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 6.4
How do I fix the uconnect app not working to lock unlock or start vehicle it keeps failing

use the call button on your mirror and talk to UConnect. They will take care of you while you're on the phone with them. They are quite helpful.

Lkw88

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have the 8.4 in my 2018 2500 and the radio keeps freezing up and then turns itself off and then back on. It does this several times and then will start working. Also sometimes it will be on and no sound will come from the speakers. Both of these things always happen after I have killed the vehicle and then restart it a few minutes later (like killing it to run into a store and then come back out a few minutes later and restarting it). Anybody else have this problem?

RASelkirk

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Was just thinking of this thread yesterday. Sort of on-topic... We took about an hour trip each way (long for us) and I noticed the volume wasn't changing with the vehicle speed and I have mine set at the max, three I think. Is this a "vaporware" setting or should this actually work?

Russ

marks146

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 6.4
Read my reply above. Both situations likely need uConnect to do a reset. Mine varies with speed. It's not "vaporware".

JSMITH8505

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CUMMINS
I've never experienced this before, so it may be worth sharing.

Yesterday I had my U-connect/Radio lock up on me where none of the buttons would work (Steering wheel, knobs, or screen icons). The radio played, but I couldn't turn off the radio, or access anything else. None of the buttons, knobs or icons would function. Not even the steering wheel controls for the radio and it locked out the phone from playing via blue tooth.

The soft reset didnt work. Finally I pulled the radio fuse (on the firewall near the passenger side corner) let it sit for a bit, and plugged it back in.
It reset itself, and worked fine after that. I did have to contact Sirius to resend a signal to repopulate the Sirius stuff.

Anyway-- thought it was worth mentioning.

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 4X4 QC Express 6 speed auto 355 differentials
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Thanks for the mention [emoji1303]
First I've heard of pulling the fuse ...let us know if it goes bonkers again [emoji16]

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Schmidty99

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have the 8.4 in my 2018 2500 and the radio keeps freezing up and then turns itself off and then back on. It does this several times and then will start working. Also sometimes it will be on and no sound will come from the speakers. Both of these things always happen after I have killed the vehicle and then restart it a few minutes later (like killing it to run into a store and then come back out a few minutes later and restarting it). Anybody else have this problem?

Yes, it happens often and now the screen is completely blank. I know it's on because there is a glow but nothing works. Radio. Back-up cam. Nothing. The heat / AC work manually using the knobs below but the screen itself is not working.

SnoKing

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
after some searching i found that holding in the volume and browse knobs will do a soft reboot on my 2016 SLT

I had my NAV go screwy with no sats showing when I went into the screen that showed them. Finally found the reset above and it fixed the NAV system. When it went out, I had openned the door and leaned in pushed the start button once and openned the power sliding rear window.

I left the door open while sliding a 12' 2x4 in and loading concrete wall blocks, with the truck dinging at me. I got in and drove North out of the Lowes Store lot and the truck remained in their lot, randomly pointing North, West, Sound, and East. I stopped and restarted the truck a couple times with no joy.

The soft reboot Kimber noted fixed it and it's been fine for a few weeks.

SnoKing

dynoram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I've never experienced this before, so it may be worth sharing.

Yesterday I had my U-connect/Radio lock up on me where none of the buttons would work (Steering wheel, knobs, or screen icons). The radio played, but I couldn't turn off the radio, or access anything else. None of the buttons, knobs or icons would function. Not even the steering wheel controls for the radio and it locked out the phone from playing via blue tooth.

The soft reset didnt work. Finally I pulled the radio fuse (on the firewall near the passenger side corner) let it sit for a bit, and plugged it back in.
It reset itself, and worked fine after that. I did have to contact Sirius to resend a signal to repopulate the Sirius stuff.

Anyway-- thought it was worth mentioning.

Good to know as I have been afraid to do this fuse pull because someone said I would need a security code to get the unit to work again. I don't have a security code.

jimsummers74

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I "was told" by Uconnect rep that you can only do this procedure if the pop-up message is present. My truck only displays the pop-up at intersections and sharp curves in the rd. & then disappears before I can react. Never when I'm sitting still.

Munqee

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Ram 1500 SLT Big Horn
Engine
Hemi 5.7
It's now pressing and holding the mute and browse/enter button for ten seconds that will make it soft reboot.

rayplumas

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
diesel
"Step 1) Put your vehicle into the accessories mode (ACC or RUN) **For keyless start (push-button) vehicles: push the start button twice without having your foot on the gas or brake pedal**
Step 2) Hold down the Phone and voice recognition buttons (or volume and tuner knobs), at the same time, for thirty seconds.
Step 3) Let go of the buttons(after the screen goes black)
Step 4) Turn vehicle off
Step 5) Open driver’s side door for thirty seconds
Step 6) Close door
Step 7) Restart vehicle
Step 8) Let the media center load up and see if concern is still present"

I tried the dealer twice to get the update, plus online several times. Nothing worked until I downloaded the software and updated it myself. It is handy to print out the instructions but I was able to get it done the first time. And everything now works.

rayplumas

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
diesel
I tried the dealer twice to get the update, plus online several times. Nothing worked until I downloaded the software and updated it myself. It is handy to print out the instructions but I was able to get it done the first time. And everything now works. Dealer said I would get a thumb drive in the mail to update it, that has not happened in three weeks.