Uconnect 8.4 soft reboot

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mpgrimm2

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 (5th Gen)
Engine
5.7L
Friday leaving the store I noticed my back cam wasn’t working,few minutes later my radio froze up,but just the SiriusXM part,FM still worked. Today driving the radio just restarted. Thinking about dropping it off at the Dealership next week,hopefully they can figure it out.
What year/trim/radio?

My 5th gen 12" UAX just started doing this to over the last 2 days.

Edit to add video links. Guess I'll be calling dealer on Monday.

- 5th Gen 2019 Ram 1500 DT 12" UAX radio reboot issue (4660 miles) Pt1

- 5th Gen 2019 Ram 1500 DT 12" UAX radio reboot issue (4660 miles) Pt2

M² Mods.

Last edited:

Mpgrimm2

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 (5th Gen)
Engine
5.7L
I wonder if this is SXM related since it's the first thing to drop out with the 2018+ Panasonic radios.
Your 2018 is the first one (4th gen/classic) I've seen posted do it. Usually it's a 5th gen Panasonic radio issue, especially on the 12" UAX radio.

** I added video links to previous post above **

M² Mods.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
I wonder if this is SXM related since it's the first thing to drop out with the 2018+ Panasonic radios.
Your 2018 is the first one (4th gen/classic) I've seen posted do it. Usually it's a 5th gen Panasonic radio issue, especially on the 12" UAX radio.

** I added video links to previous post above **

M² Mods.

I know in the cars the newer Panasconic radio's have issues,they've even gave it a nick name,they call it "the black screen of Death". Pulling the radio fuse and letting the car sit for an hour or 2 with-out the fuse will sometimes bring the radio back to life,but it can take upwards of 24 hours and a couple key cycles before it'll reset.Don't know if it'll help,but you really got nothing to lose trying it out.

Clayvis

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 V8
My 2018 Laramie 5.7 radio has started acting up. After running and being shut off the radio deletes or switches all the preset stations. This morning the station I left on was still on, but a different station was displayed! (and not a working one). This is very frustrating. I will try a few fixes from this forum and keep my fingers crossed!

jumbalay35

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hi all this is my first post here and sorry if this is a dumb question and can correct me if I am wrong. But shouldn't the display on the radio show the temp outside as well as station? My DJ did that but for some reason its not on there. I Actually don't recall if it was there or not when I bought it. As I never really paid attention to it before. But have noticed it lately. Is it just a setting or something? 2020 Ram 1500 Classic, has the 8.4 inch screen without NAV. The outside temp will show in the cluster in the middle but for some reason not on the radio display.
I also just noticed that I cant turn my radio off at all. I push down the volume control button for a few second and nothing. When I release it, it just mutes the sound.

Any ideas?

Also I wasn't sure if there was thread for this and not sure what to look under

Thanks

Smokey613

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Going down the road today and my radio just switched to the media screen and then went from that to the XM screen and back and fourth before shutting down and restarting multiple times. Seemed liked it’s a short somewhere but not sure. Any suggestions?

Ours did this same thing last summer. It finally went back to normal after a few days. It has done it again one more time back in the fall. For now it seems to be working but the top of the screen looks like it is delaminating or something. It is our only transportation and at the moment there are NO rentals available so we are just putting up with it.

chri5k

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Diesel
Some screens suffer from bad Liquid Optically Clear Adhesive (LOCA). It seems the LOCA is not cured properly and starts to leak out of the bottom of the screen. New screens are running about $500. Make sure you are getting a genuine LG screen. The cheaper generic Chinese ones will fail in the same way within a few days and still cost almost as much a the LG screens.

Smokey613

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Some screens suffer from bad Liquid Optically Clear Adhesive (LOCA). It seems the LOCA is not cured properly and starts to leak out of the bottom of the screen. New screens are running about $500. Make sure you are getting a genuine LG screen. The cheaper generic Chinese ones will fail in the same way within a few days and still cost almost as much a the LG screens.

The good thing is we have the factory extended Max Care 7yr/100K warranty so the repair will be covered.

riden2low

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
2018 Ram 1500 Limited. I have a post under Navigation. As I was reading here, my problem ,twice now, was my navigation was telling me I was in a different state. So the dealer tried to do an software update on the system. Now I have a screen that says error blah blah. So this is the second radio that has been ordered for this truck. Lucky for me the latest one still had warranty on it. So I have no radio. But the radio still has power after turning off the truck and runs the battery down over nite. So they told me to pull the radio fuse. Ok fine but I have no climate control, have to guess what temp I want, sun roof doesnt open, no heat to the seats and etc. So put in the fuse for long periods of using the truck and pull the fuse after use. So now waiting for the system to come in. And the system was a Panasonic. And Ram Care is helping me out again on this.

Patrick B

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
So bringing this thread up. My 2018 Ram 1500 Sport, with the 8.4 Uconnect NAV system thinks I'm about 100 miles away from where I actually am. Tried all of the standard soft-reboot procedures, none of which worked. So I pulled the battery for an hour, and when I reconnected the battery, my Nav still thinks I'm 100 miles away from where I actually am, and now my SiriusXM has disappeared. Not that my SiriusXM has lost authorization (that's easy to deal with); it's that my UConnect system no longer thinks I have SiriusXM installed at all; the option for SXM simply doesn't exist.

Of course, the truck is 5 months out of the initial warranty, so FCA has basically told me to pound sand unless I want to buy a whole new head-unit.

I've never been a big fan of the UConnect system at the best of times, despite owning several FCA vehicles over the past 20 years.

Patrick

hemihustlin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
I have a new 21 classic warlock with the 8.4 uconnect that likes to freeze up and then reboot, usually about 3 times before it gets it right. I have gotten used to turning down the volume and setting the fan before I leave the truck at night because it sucks when you get in and cant turn down the volume in the morning...
I know I have to take it to the dealer but to be honest who has time for that, especially since with my luck it will be fine when I bring it there lol
it does not do it every day but sometimes more often

WireEd

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have a new 21 classic warlock with the 8.4 uconnect that likes to freeze up and then reboot, usually about 3 times before it gets it right. I have gotten used to turning down the volume and setting the fan before I leave the truck at night because it sucks when you get in and cant turn down the volume in the morning...
I know I have to take it to the dealer but to be honest who has time for that, especially since with my luck it will be fine when I bring it there lol
it does not do it every day but sometimes more often
Mine is doing the same thing. I’ll keep you posted if they fix it! Mine’s also a 21 classic.

HEMI_Finn

U.S. ARMY Veteran
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
My wife's '17 Charger has the nav issue, thinks it's 150 miles east of where it is. The dealer said they found an update that should fix it but they can't get it to load onto a usb drive!:rolleyes:

PowrRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Big Horn
Engine
3.6L V6
Does anyone know how to do a soft reset of a 8.4 UConnect (non-navigation) on a 2018 Ram 1500?

Mpgrimm2

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 (5th Gen)
Engine
5.7L
Does anyone know how to do a soft reset of a 8.4 UConnect (non-navigation) on a 2018 Ram 1500?
Pull the 20a inline fuse for 60 secs to reset the radio.

Under the hood at firewall/driver side harness near brake booster on single battery trucks, ie 1500's & some 2500's

... On passenger side firewall /harness near one of the reservoir tanks on dual battery trucks.

FYI...
2018/classic Panasonic 4c UAq or UAs radios
don't complete their reset as fast as a 13-17 Harmon 3c radios... on the 4c Panasonic's they aren't finished resetting until the SXM button appears again and the BuCam works/displays again (if installed). Anywhere from 5 mins to 2days for some options to show up & work.

Last edited:

PowrRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Big Horn
Engine
3.6L V6
Pull the 20a inline fuse for 60 secs to reset the radio.

Under the hood at firewall/driver side harness near brake booster on single battery trucks, ie 1500's & some 2500's

... On passenger side firewall /harness near one of the reservoir tanks on dual battery trucks.

I just saw your post now. Earlier today I did a hard reset by disconnecting the battery for 90 minutes. When I started the truck up again, the "fog lights on" indicator was glowing, the climate control would only go from Lo to Hi setting (nothing in between), the clock was set to 5:00 (which in CDT is 0:00 GMT) the radio was tuned to the lowest frequency on the FM band (87.9?) and surprisingly all my radio station presets remained intact. I believe I also had the same color scheme/theme on my display. I turned off the fog lights, I turned the truck ignition off/on, open/closed the driver door. I'm not sure if this was directly responsible for the climate control to start working properly but it was now working as normal.

However, I still had the original problem of missing or incomplete listing of song and artist information. For example, the song listing might be "Stairway to" and the artist name might be "Led Zeppl". There are two radio stations that display the full song title and artist info, but the rest do not. I checked the radio in my wife's 2016 Charger and all radio stations display all information correctly. I also still have the loss of three sideband HD FM stations, (i.e. 92.5.2 FM.) Instead of tuning in the display keeps showing "Buffering".

I thought disconnecting the battery would reset the radio. And as part of that radio reset procedure would erase my radio presets. Did it not reset the radio?

I'm going to pull the radio fuse and see if it fixes my problem.

Last edited:

PowrRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Big Horn
Engine
3.6L V6
I'm going to pull the radio fuse and see if it fixes my problem.

OK, I pulled the radio fuse and had it out of its socket for about 30 seconds. I reinstalled the fuse and turned on the ignition. This time clock was set to 6:43 (It was 2:17 local time), the climate control temperature setting was either LO or HI (no in between), radio was tuned to 87.7 FM and all my preset were intact. Same problem with song title and artist information being partial or missing altogether.

By pulling the fuse, did I not reset the radio?

Mpgrimm2

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 (5th Gen)
Engine
5.7L
OK, I pulled the radio fuse and had it out of its socket for about 30 seconds. I reinstalled the fuse and turned on the ignition. This time clock was set to 6:43 (It was 2:17 local time), the climate control temperature setting was either LO or HI (no in between), radio was tuned to 87.7 FM and all my preset were intact. Same problem with song title and artist information being partial or missing altogether.

By pulling the fuse, did I not reset the radio?
This sounds like a 2018/classic Panasonic 4c UAq or UAs radio?

They don't complete their reset as fast as a 13-17 Harmon 3c radios... on the 4c Panasonic's they aren't finished resetting until the SXM button appears again and the BuCam works/displays again (if installed). Anywhere from 5 mins to 2days for some options to show up & work.

The missing title info could be an issue with the SW/application version of the radio, or limitations with messaging if installed in an earlier 13-17 truck?

You didn't indicate what radio/Year/model this is, what year truck is, what you're source input is for media and where you're expecting to see this info?