Uconnect 8.4 soft reboot

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JimEd

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
I recently purchased a very low mileage 2013 Ram Sport. Almost immediately the radio started acting goofy. It would reboot itself while I was driving and locked up once when I stated it. It has never had an update. If I get the update done will this fix the problem?

JimEd

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
Another note. The dealership told me that they wouldn’t guarantee the update. They said sometimes it can “fry” the radio and then I would have to replace it. Has anyone ever heard of this?

Express yourself

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
yea it's nice, but imo not worth the cost

My 2018 recieved a over the air update from Sirius XM.
I have had so many shut downs of my entire screen I cannot count.
It wasent a uconnect problem.
It was Sirius pushing subscription out.
So now if I push assist I get a Sirius rep trying to sell me.
So now my 8.4 screen works when it wants to,I'm not due for updates .

Express yourself

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
use the call button on your mirror and talk to UConnect. They will take care of you while you're on the phone with them. They are quite helpful.

Mine does not connect me with unconnect.
I get the cheerful voice of a Sirius XM sales person.

Express yourself

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
It's not jeep only I have a 2018 Ram 1500 Sport.
It's not due for any update and, everyone i get in touch with is clueless

Firedoc45

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
My 2013 Ram Unconnect just cut out. My backup camera stays on and when I drive the screen turns blue, I can't change stations or use any of the buttons. I tried an update and it would not take. Anyone have any ideas?

dhay13

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
2500 6.4L Hemi 4.10's 'Off-Road'
What did? Mine started doing this today
More info. My Sirius started working a couple of months ago and worked until today. I assumed they gave away a free trial and just forgot to deactivate mine. Well middle of the day today my Sirius stops working so I assume they switched it off. I still get the Ch. 1 advertisements. Not sure if this has anything to do with it?
Went to the UConnect site and punched in my VIN and it says mine is up to date. Checked my unit for any type of version number and the only thing I can find is a Navigation System Version # 9.35.2.85541.

Also, tried the soft reboot stated in the first post but it does nothing. Also tried it using the up/down heat arrows mentioned later and still does nothing. It's a 2018 with the UConnect 8.4

Everything was fine on it until this morning now my GPS shows me pretty far from where I am and not on any roads

dhay13

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Called UConnect this morning after disconnecting the battery with no luck. He had me try a few things then drive to an open lot and drive counter-clockwise 5x then shut truck off, open drivers door about 30 seconds, close door, start truck back up then hold the VR button and the button next to it (can't remember what it was) for 30 seconds then try again. No luck. I asked if my software was up to date and he confirmed it was but told me how to check it. Well mine had no numbers. Just gave a link to a panasonic site then had a disclaimer under it for reverse engineering, blah, blah, blah. So he is thinking since there was no version number that my whole unit might be going bad. Called the dealer and have to drop it off Monday night. Will update.

Mpgrimm2

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 (5th Gen)
Engine
5.7L
@dhay13
To get into dealer mode and see the"application version" for determining if an update is needed on a 2018 Panasonic UAQ or UAS Radio.... (Factory 8.4 radio bezel)...

Press & hold: Temp Up + Temp Down + Front Defrost for 6-10secs.

I believe it's under the radio information section and will likely be...

... blah v18.14.x blah blah
... blah v19.9.x blah blah
... blah v21.9.x blah blah
... blah v22.6.x blah blah (latest)

You can even check if the satellite antenna is connected and getting a signal

M² Mods.

dhay13

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
@dhay13
To get into dealer mode and see the"application version" for determining if an update is needed on a 2018 Panasonic UAQ or UAS Radio.... (Factory 8.4 radio bezel)...

Press & hold: Temp Up + Temp Down + Front Defrost for 6-10secs.

I believe it's under the radio information section and will likely be...

... blah v18.14.x blah blah
... blah v19.9.x blah blah
... blah v21.9.x blah blah
... blah v22.6.x blah blah (latest)

You can even check if the satellite antenna is connected and getting a signal

M² Mods.
Thanks. Will try it tomorrow and report back

Bearwiz

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
My radio on a long trip yesterday stopped working. It seems it was getting hot and the screen was unresponsive. After shutting the truck off for a little while it would start working again,for awhile then do it again. Any ideas or anyone else have this problem?

scott harmon

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Going down the road today and my radio just switched to the media screen and then went from that to the XM screen and back and fourth before shutting down and restarting multiple times. Seemed liked it’s a short somewhere but not sure. Any suggestions?

Mpgrimm2

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 (5th Gen)
Engine
5.7L
Going down the road today and my radio just switched to the media screen and then went from that to the XM screen and back and fourth before shutting down and restarting multiple times. Seemed liked it’s a short somewhere but not sure. Any suggestions?
Could be the harness in the steering wheel is pinched between the covers if you have the steering wheel audio controls.... There was a recall for it.

Could also be a pinched wire in the harness going to the USB/media hub (jumpseat or console) since those get bent everytime it opens.

M² Mods.

RamCares

Reaction score
Ram Year
n/a
Engine
n/a

Hi, I'm sorry to hear this. Please let me know if you plan on visiting a dealership for this concern. I would be happy to open a case for you.

Alison

Ram Cares

Bearwiz

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Friday leaving the store I noticed my back cam wasn’t working,few minutes later my radio froze up,but just the SiriusXM part,FM still worked. Today driving the radio just restarted. Thinking about dropping it off at the Dealership next week,hopefully they can figure it out.