Uconnect Update Thru The Mail

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Red-R/T

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
My over the air update never happened. Yesterday I received one of those 800 number phone calls that at first I thought was junk. When I answered it was a recording saying I would receive the update through the mail.

Anyone lese receive such a call?

FPrice

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I received such a call also. Said the same thing, also said it ws a GPS (?) update.

I purchased my 2017 1500 in early September and got a notification online when I started to sign up for the Uconnect service. Had to upgrade my system, took a couple of tries but I finally figured out how to do it.

Is there anyone on the Forum whe represents Uconnect and can advise us on these?

FPrice

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I just performed the update and it went well. Takes about 15-20 minutes.

THe last time I performed an update (which was the first time also) it took me twice as long. That's because I fell into the (clever) booby-trap in the system. After the system updates it shows the update number (twice) and asks you if you want to re-install the update. The correct answer is NO.

stimpy433

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
A couple of years ago I got a usb stick in the mail from uconnect to use to do an update on my Challenger.... so I do know that they use to send updates by mail.

RamCares

Reaction score
Ram Year
n/a
Engine
n/a
My over the air update never happened. Yesterday I received one of those 800 number phone calls that at first I thought was junk. When I answered it was a recording saying I would receive the update through the mail.

Anyone lese receive such a call?

I received such a call also. Said the same thing, also said it ws a GPS (?) update.

I purchased my 2017 1500 in early September and got a notification online when I started to sign up for the Uconnect service. Had to upgrade my system, took a couple of tries but I finally figured out how to do it.

Is there anyone on the Forum whe represents Uconnect and can advise us on these?

Hi everyone,

Yes, we are currently sending out the 18.45.01 update via USB. The files for software level 18.45.01 are also currently available on driveUconnect.com. I would recommend checking if this update is available for your vehicle. If so, you will be able to download the software to a USB and update your vehicle at home. Please let me know if you have any questions.

Alison
RamCares

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hi everyone,

Yes, we are currently sending out the 18.45.01 update via USB. The files for software level 18.45.01 are also currently available on driveUconnect.com. I would recommend checking if this update is available for your vehicle. If so, you will be able to download the software to a USB and update your vehicle at home. Please let me know if you have any questions.

Alison
RamCares

Please note that there are more than a few people that SHOULD have the update, but the DriveUConnect site does not show it available for their VIN.

Im not quite sure what needs to be fixed, but it seems like there is a disconnect between some VINs and the website saying that they are all up to date.

Mpgrimm2

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 (5th Gen)
Engine
5.7L
Hi everyone,

Alison
RamCares
Additionally, uConnect needs to keep the previous v17. x. x SW update (17.43.01) for those that are still in early versions like v15.x and 16.x.

It seems that some people have an issue if they don't update to v17.43.01 fully before the v18.45.01 update.

** Or even better, release a full SW load (vs patch) that is not dependent on prior version & include map files for the VP4 units

M² Mods.

Last edited:

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Additionally, uConnect needs to keep the previous v17. x. x SW update (17.43.01) for those that are still in early versions like v15.x and 16.x.

It seems that some people have an issue if they don't update to v17.43.01 fully before the v18.45.01 update.

** Or even better, release a full SW load (vs patch) that is not dependent on prior version & include map files for the VP4 units

M² Mods.

@RamCares I second this request. Its also not just RAM owners having issues because they arent on 17.x before trying to update to 18.45.01.

Even though the documentation says they should be able to do it, some people are having problems because 16.x is seemingly too old to start from. But without any way to download the 17.x software, they are at the mercy of dealers, some of which are saying they will charge labor for the update.

PappyD

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Hmm...I received a usb chip but I don't subscribe to uconnect - I tried the update, thinking it would update "just in case" I wanted to pay... Update didn't work, so now I think I'll just leave it...not sold on the idea that I need to have uconnect. Kinda puzzled....

OP
OP
R

Red-R/T

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I also just received the USB in the mail and nothing worked. I guess I will call for help.

JayLeonard

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 L Cummins
I am sitting in my truck waiting on update to complete if it ever does. It’s still going I’ll advise the outcome.

JayLeonard

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 L Cummins
The update appears to have worked. I was at version 16 so I guess it's like any computer system...sometimes it works sometimes not.
I also do NOT subscribe to uconnect.

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
A UConnect subscription is NOT required for updates like this.

UConnect is "always" connected to your truck, regardless of if you are paying for a subscription. It uses the cellular connection that is built into the head unit, along with the sharkfin antenna.

In the case of a s/w update, you can get them over the air (even without an active subscription) or supposedly from UConnect's software update website, assuming their data is correct about what version you are on and what version you need.

What seems to be happening to some older vehicles (usually 2013/2014) running old versions of the s/w (16.x), you will need to go to a 17.x version first, THEN install the 18.45.01 update.

Earlier verrsions of the RA4 (and some RA3) firmware files are available here: https://www.ramforum.com/posts/1125799/

Cableman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I too just received the update through the mail via usb, guess ill see if it works. And i just picked up a usb drive today so i could download it!

Last edited:

PappyD

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Hmm...I received a usb chip but I don't subscribe to uconnect - I tried the update, thinking it would update "just in case" I wanted to pay... Update didn't work, so now I think I'll just leave it...not sold on the idea that I need to have uconnect. Kinda puzzled....

Ok - quick update on the update... Followed the directions very closely and......success! Either I didn't leave the usb drive in position long enough(or maybe had it upside down?) but after about 20 seconds uconnect acknowledged the usb drive and began the update. Took at least 20 minutes.

Not sure what the update contained or what the consequences would be without it....but I have it now Pappy

Ken226

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
It updates your GPS chips ability to accurately calculate your vehicles location, and the time.

The GPS satellite system uses a numbering system to keep track of which week of the year it is. That system rolled back to 0 in november. The time data is important, because as the satellites broadcast their location data to the chip, which is on the surface of a rotating planet, the chip needs to know what time it is, to figure out where it is.

The update only matters if you use your radios GPS receiver for location/time purposes.

Last edited:
OP
OP
R

Red-R/T

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I attempted the update but, nothing happens. I might end up at the dealer.

FPrice

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Listening to some of the problems people are experiencing with the updates, I just want to add one small item I have noticed.

My Ram has two USB ports. One at the bottom right of my center console, and one hidden inside the storage compartment of the fold-down section of my front bench seat. I seem to have to use the latter USB to make the updates.