UConnect update

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rock$tar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7L
my 2018 got the update as well (8.4 non nav unit)

seemed to clear up the bug of the radio randomly restarting and sometimes freezing up. but i do notice it a good bit slower now playing songs from phone. Click next song and it takes 2-3 seconds to change instead of instant like before.

18GSMRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Engine running should work...

Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk

Tried this again, no luck, as soon as I press them (at same time) the temp setting goes nuts, going up or down but I never get into the interface

Any other options?!

I can't get android auto to work, it gives me a communication 8 error and I'd like to be able to check the head unit software version cause the UConnect site says I have the most updated version based on the VIN.

northvibe

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My 19’ classic non nav just popped up today. I scheduled it for 6pm while I have dinner, see if it did it tomorrow.

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Tried this again, no luck, as soon as I press them (at same time) the temp setting goes nuts, going up or down but I never get into the interface

Any other options?!

I can't get android auto to work, it gives me a communication 8 error and I'd like to be able to check the head unit software version cause the UConnect site says I have the most updated version based on the VIN.
That I can help with! It's actually on the Android side not the radio. Try this...

https://www.ramforum.com/index.php?posts/2223710

18GSMRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
That I can help with! It's actually on the Android side not the radio. Try this...

https://www.ramforum.com/index.php?posts/2223710

I humored myself and tried again (I had tried this before).... No such luck, even when I tried any variation between that release and the newest version

Now it gives me a message on my phone that no application is installed that works with the usb, which is even less progress then before.

When I tried last time least it would attempt to connect to android auto. Apple car play..... No issues, sometimes android really ****** me off.

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
I humored myself and tried again (I had tried this before).... No such luck, even when I tried any variation between that release and the newest version

Now it gives me a message on my phone that no application is installed that works with the usb, which is even less progress then before.

When I tried last time least it would attempt to connect to android auto. Apple car play..... No issues, sometimes android really ****** me off.
Did you try using a beta build of AA? Also, you may need to uninstall Google Play Services and re-install it. Then (without installing AA) plug your phone in and get the radio to prompt you to install AA. It's that initial handshake that's failing.

18GSMRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Did you try using a beta build of AA? Also, you may need to uninstall Google Play Services and re-install it. Then (without installing AA) plug your phone in and get the radio to prompt you to install AA. It's that initial handshake that's failing.

Damn, forgot about google play services as well, I'll give that a try one more time as well.

I haven't tried a beta version, but I'll give it a try. You have a link to that, can't seem to find it

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar

PowrRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Big Horn
Engine
3.6L V6
Here we go again...

Two and a half years ago I innocently started this thread:
https://www.ramforum.com/threads/uconnect-software-update-received-whats-in-it.126015/

Which is too long to read. Summary: That particular UConnect Update screwed up the bass controls of the stereo, tilting the sound quality towards heavy bass. Audio sounded muffled and muddy, even with the bass on the equalizer control dialed all the way down. What followed was a nearly nine month stretch of terrible sound quality and promises from the UConnect tech team that a fix for the update was coming "next month."

So, you can understand my hesitation to "schedule" this latest update.

Can anyone confirm what you get for a notification? In my case I get the message (see image) and my radio controls are frozen. Can't change sources, can't change FM stations, can't change volume, Android Auto will not connect, etc. etc.

Basically, my stereo system is neutered.

(BTW, 2018 Big Horn, UConnect 8.4, stock 6 speaker, non-navigation system. I believe I am currently running software version 22.6.)

Is this what others are seeing?

Software-Update-Notification-032421.jpg

Last edited:

northvibe

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Here we go again...

Two and a half years ago I innocently started this thread:
https://www.ramforum.com/threads/uconnect-software-update-received-whats-in-it.126015/

Which is too long to read. Summary: That particular UConnect Update screwed up the bass controls of the stereo, tilting the sound quality towards heavy bass. Audio sounded muffled and muddy, even with the bass on the equalizer control dialed all the way down. What followed was a nearly nine month stretch of terrible sound quality and promises from the UConnect tech team that a fix for the update was coming "next month."

So, you can understand my hesitation to "schedule" this latest update.

Can anyone confirm what you get for a notification? In my case I get the message (see image) and my radio controls are frozen. Can't change sources, can't change FM stations, can't change volume, Android Auto will not connect, etc. etc.

Basically, my stereo system is neutered.

(BTW, 2018 Big Horn, UConnect 8.4, stock 6 speaker, non-navigation system. I believe I am currently running software version 22.6.)

Is this what others are seeing?

View attachment 242384

Yes, couldn’t do anything until I chose a time. When I went to the truck this am, it just said it was updated click here for more info, I clicked that to see what was in the update....it then said an update to uconnect was the details of the update... ya thanks fca.

Well I didn’t notice anything different but I didn’t turn the radio up either to see if the audio still sucked

PowrRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Big Horn
Engine
3.6L V6
There's got to be a service bulletin somewhere that describes what is in this update. I'd really like to know what it intends to "fix" before I schedule the update. This is absolutely intolerable that FCA holds my stereo hostage until and unless I receive the update. Just unacceptable. As if continuing to listen to the stereo as before is endangering me unless I get the update.

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
There's got to be a service bulletin somewhere that describes what is in this update. I'd really like to know what it intends to "fix" before I schedule the update. This is absolutely intolerable that FCA holds my stereo hostage until and unless I receive the update. Just unacceptable. As if continuing to listen to the stereo as before is endangering me unless I get the update.
I've looked, I haven't found one yet but I know @Mpgrimm2 is also looking.

RamCares

Reaction score
Ram Year
n/a
Engine
n/a
Hello everyone--

Please know that we hear your concerns and are making notes of your feedback as we monitor these forums. For those of you that are concerned about what is within the newest updates, you can see the What’s New icon from the Uconnect® touchscreen in your vehicle. Select the Apps icon from the lower menu bar, then select Settings from the list of icons. Press System Information, then scroll down and select What’s New. For any additional assistance, call Uconnect Customer Care at (877) 855-8400 and they will be able to provide you with more information.

However, if you happen to experience any concerns following the update, please do not hesitate to send our @RamCares team a private message! We would be more than happy to investigate your individual situations further and offer additional support while working with your dealers to get your concerns addressed.

Have an awesome night,

Courtney
Ram Cares

RodeoRam

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thank you, Courtney @RamCares . I'll try that if my memory lasts long enough after I leave work.

It was really frustrating, first off, to not be given a choice of installing the update or not, then losing all radio control until I installed it. Another reason to get an aftermarket stereo and ditch UConnect.

I did hear, or thought I did, a difference in the volume. My normal listening volume number now seems to be quieter. I definitely did notice a change in the frequency output. Before the update, I had the equalizer higher on the treble, middle on the mids, and lower on the bass. After the update, I had to raise the bass and lower the treble to get what I like. At least my preferred sound is still attainable unlike the 2019 goatrope.

PowrRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Big Horn
Engine
3.6L V6
I did hear, or thought I did, a difference in the volume. My normal listening volume number now seems to be quieter.

Oh no. That sucks. Because everybody wants to have lower volume. Sheesh, UConnect. Really?

I definitely did notice a change in the frequency output. Before the update, I had the equalizer higher on the treble, middle on the mids, and lower on the bass. After the update, I had to raise the bass and lower the treble to get what I like. At least my preferred sound is still attainable unlike the 2019 goatrope.

As far as my wanting to install this update--fear and loathing. To make matters worse my factory warranty expires in May.

xtremeroller

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 & 2008
Engine
5.7L HEMI
The last UConnect update I did makes the radio stay on for several minutes after I shut the truck off and lock it with the fob no matter what the power off settings are set to.