Under-hood lighting installed!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Ram 1500 Limited 4X4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The light is supposed to go in the upper glove box for the higher end trucks instead of the cubby. I actually bought everything to convert mine to the upper glove box, just havent decided if I really want it. I do like the cubby.

I’ll definitely have to look this weekend when I get home because I don’t even really keep anything in that upper box so I honestly can’t remember. This damn Limited didn’t even come with an underhood light so to be honest with ya, it wouldn’t surprise me if it didn’t come with that one either.

Found ya an install video for all that, you just gotta get around the guy altering his voice to sound like a white James Earl Jones. lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

ramrocker

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CTD

Rado

US NAVY VETERAN
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar 3.6 V6
Looks good, I just can't believe its almost $50 for a light and a wire.
Shop around you can find them cheaper. E Bay is where I got mine about 30$ and it comes with Glove box switch

Rado

US NAVY VETERAN
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar 3.6 V6
IMG_0233.jpg
I did the underhood light along with replacing the bulb with one of these: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B073VFDFN7/ref=oh_aui_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

VERY bright. Worth the price of admission.

Got the jeep footwell lamp housings, will plan on installing this week.

Anyone know what those wires at the sides of the rear bench seat bottom brackets are for? Extra lighting?
On my 2015 SLT those wire are for lighting. I added 2 LEDs and plugs works great and is wired to doors already so they come on when you open doors ! I have cheap LED'S now but k=now I know it all works fine I will upgrade them when our Temps get above 40*f :O

IMG_0232.jpg

JB1

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Last edited:

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I don’t mean to slightly change the subject but are these trucks supposed to have a light in the glovebox? I do have an upper enclosed cubby with a light in it but I’m not sure if there’s supposed to be one in the lower, main glove box.

Rado

US NAVY VETERAN
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar 3.6 V6
I don’t mean to slightly change the subject but are these trucks supposed to have a light in the glovebox? I do have an upper enclosed cubby with a light in it but I’m not sure if there’s supposed to be one in the lower, main glove box.

The answer is yes and no ! Not sure on your 18 but the wiring harness is there in mu 15. Open your glove box and see if you have a little pop out cover. If so it is behind that. If you buy the Under Hood kit it comes with the glove box light !
This may help you

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The answer is yes and no ! Not sure on your 18 but the wiring harness is there in mu 15. Open your glove box and see if you have a little pop out cover. If so it is behind that. If you buy the Under Hood kit it comes with the glove box light !
This may help you

Are you talking about the lower glove box, or the upper one? Even the video there is talking about the upper one.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Rado

US NAVY VETERAN
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar 3.6 V6
Are you talking about the lower glove box, or the upper one? Even the video there is talking about the upper one.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
Yea the upper. As far as I know no lights in the lower. I m a old fart and did not read your whole thread lol

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yea the upper. As far as I know no lights in the lower. I m a old fart and did not read your whole thread lol

Aw, it’s cool man....lol.

Yeah, I was wondering why there wouldn’t be a light in the lower glove box.

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
WELL, FWIW, I have a MY 19 Bighorn, 5,7 CC, 4 X 4, the "plug" under the hood by the firewall for an Under the Hood light does not exist. But I do have an "LED" light in the top of my upper glove box and an incandescent light in my lower Glove Box...

And FWIW< the wiring harness to the bed for the bed lights is not there either, unless U got them with the truck already of go buy an OEM kit, just FWIW ref lighting bed in Bighorn trim

Last edited:

hunter99

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pretty none of the 2018's got the plug for the underhood light. Dumb, especially when the padding under the hood has the hole for it.

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Pretty none of the 2018's got the plug for the underhood light. Dumb, especially when the padding under the hood has the hole for it.

My 18 had the plug down there by the right side hood hinge, they just stuck a blank connector into the harness. Had the cutout in the insulation too, just no light fixture or wire to run it.

RodeoRam

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My 18 had the plug down there by the right side hood hinge, they just stuck a blank connector into the harness. Had the cutout in the insulation too, just no light fixture or wire to run it.

Same here.

NY Andrew

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L V8 Hemi
Does anyone bulb unit have a rattle in it? I took it apart and can’t figure out what’s rattling unless it’s in the little silver diode/capacitor.

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Does anyone bulb unit have a rattle in it? I took it apart and can’t figure out what’s rattling unless it’s in the little silver diode/capacitor.

When are you hearing the rattle? But yes, being up close to the light, you will hear a rattle because whatever it is that’s in there that’s rattling, is working similar to a mercury switch on an old school thermostat in a house. When you raise the hood, that slider switch thing goes down with gravity, turning the light on. When you close the hood, the little slider doohickey that hear rattling slides the opposite way shutting the light off.

PoMansRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi

I wonder if the "beebee" in the automatic on/off switch?

NY Andrew

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L V8 Hemi
Yea you guys are right. Thanks!! Didn’t come with fastener for the light so gonna have to postpone this ugh always something. Guess I’ll get led bulb for this while I’m at it then.

NY Andrew

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L V8 Hemi
B.B. like the pellet for kids gun