Help Support Ram Forum by donating:

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

upgrade the radio on a 2018ram 1500 express

Discussion in 'Audio & Electronics' started by Steve King, Apr 29, 2020.

1. Steve King

Steve King Junior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    I just Bought a 2018 Ram. So far I like everything except the Radio. It has a Ra2 Radio which doesnt have the apple carplay that I am used to. I am used to using the screen as a gps thru my phone. What is the best upgrade of a radio I can get for this vehicle? I went on Infotainments website and they want 2000.00 for a uas Radio. There has got to be something cheaper...

2. SitKneelBend

SitKneelBend Senior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    3.6 Pentastar
    I bought my current UAS from a salvage yard for $300. Another $300 (shouldn't be more) and you can get the parts you need to do it yourself.

Granted, it will be hard (not impossible) to find one that cheap, but you can find them easily for sub $500 on Car-Part.com.

Here's the thread you need to get started...
    https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink/to...&share_fid=17770&share_type=t&link_source=app

Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk

likes2build likes this.
  3. 14Deebo

14Deebo Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    Hemi 5.7
    I went with a decently inexpensive aftermarket head unit and never looked back. With the Express model myself, I wasn't worried about losing the few customization options I had in my RA2. Well worth it in my opinion for the Apple Carplay and much better sound quality.

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_158XAV1000/Sony-XAV-AX1000.html

4. Michael

Michael Senior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    Hemi 5.7
    I replaced my ra2 with a pioneer 4500NEX. It has wireless CarPlay and android auto. I feel it’s far superior to any oem radio you can put in it.

I know the voices in my head aren’t real, but man, do they ever come up with some great ideas.

5. Steve King

Steve King Junior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    What did you lose as far as customization goes? Did you have to get a custom bezel to install?

6. 14Deebo

14Deebo Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    Hemi 5.7
    I just lost the ability to control the lights with the keyfob when i lock the truck, programming different trailer preferences for the trailer brake, if the lights stay on after I lock the truck, if the lights come on when I unlock the truck. Little things like that, basically any "settings" for the truck that were in the OEM radio. I just set them how I wanted before I pulled the stock radio out and never looked back.

I did have to get an aftermarket mounting bracket, but I did not replace the bezel.

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_120956518B/Metra-95-6518B-Dash-Kit.html

7. SitKneelBend

SitKneelBend Senior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    3.6 Pentastar
    You "might" get all that back with your new cluster if your BCM is set to display that in the cluster.

Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk

8. 14Deebo

14Deebo Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    Hemi 5.7
    That would be cool, but I don't even care tbh. The ability to use Car Play, have Nav, and the much better sound quality makes that a non issue for me.

I just swapped out all my door and dash speakers for a Kenwood Exelon component system which just makes me care even less about those options. It sounds sooo good. :)

SitKneelBend likes this.
  9. Michael

Michael Senior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    Hemi 5.7
    I didn’t loose that with mine. Did you get the idata modules?

I know the voices in my head aren’t real, but man, do they ever come up with some great ideas.

10. 14Deebo

14Deebo Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    Hemi 5.7
    No, because the headunit I went with wasn’t Uconnect compatible. No reason for the iData module if the hu doesn’t support it. It’s fine with me though, I get way more out of the headunit than whatever few features the OEM allowed me to change.