Upgrading Fog Lights - looking for suggestions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bigred90gt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
They are definately brighter than stock. I didnt take any pics but will tonight or 2morro.
If you have them on as yellow and turn them off when u turn on again they will be white.
If you turn them off when they are white when u turn on they will be yellow.
So, every time I start my truck (my fogs are set as my DRL), they will change from yellow to white? There is no way to set them to a specific color and change them only when desired? I think I would ultimately hate that, but I love the concept. White for good conditions just to add some light, and yellow for poor conditions. My headlights are set to auto and my fogs are set to DRL, I cant even remember the last time I used my headlight knob outside of testing bulbs a couple of weeks ago.

Ramm5.7

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Ram 1500 Classic Bighorn
Engine
5.7 Hemi
So, every time I start my truck (my fogs are set as my DRL), they will change from yellow to white? There is no way to set them to a specific color and change them only when desired? I think I would ultimately hate that, but I love the concept. White for good conditions just to add some light, and yellow for poor conditions. My headlights are set to auto and my fogs are set to DRL, I cant even remember the last time I used my headlight knob outside of testing bulbs a couple of weeks ago.

I dont think they can be set to one only.
Manufacturer question. They are designed to swap color as power is on then off.
One reason my fogs arent DRL

Ramm5.7

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Curious about their long term reliability, I was actually about to order these yesterday and saw they are back ordered til late April. I've tried two other brands with the dual function (3000k/6000k) and they were both fine for a few weeks and then developed a flicker I couldn't get rid of, even with alfa. Not a big deal as I have a backup set that work great (single mode 6000k though), and I've gotten full refunds on each set. If yours are still working without issue I'll try these out when they are available again.

We shall see. Been in my truck for 2 weeks, no problems so far but I dont run my fogs alot, just oh dark thirty on way to work...stupid urban driving!!??

OP
OP
N

Nado

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
https://sidetrackedoffroad.com/dodge-ram-fog-light-kit/

This is the kit I run. Comes with the wiring harness for OEM switching and the LED pods look great. I went with the Sidetracked offroad 60W (2 spots and 2 floods)....LOVE them.

They also offer Rough Country (meh) and Rigid (Pricey) pods for the kit...

Are prices for both sides? aka 4 lights total? If so, I can get down with that price. Looks like it comes with the mounting bracket too?

BrewCrew

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7L
Are prices for both sides? aka 4 lights total? If so, I can get down with that price. Looks like it comes with the mounting bracket too?

It comes with the bracket and whatever kit you build is for both sides. It also comes with the wiring harness which is Plug and Play. Hardest part was aligning them to match on both sides...but I'm kinda OCD so.

BrewCrew

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7L
This was my build...

upload_2020-2-11_14-37-28.png

Came out to $199.99 plus shipping. You can also order amber or yellow covers or lenses and have them installed before shipping.

These lights are incredibly bright but also don't blind other drivers (haven't been flashed yet).

Also they have proven to be incredibly durable. They made it through two 30" snow storms (see profile pic lol) and alot of rain...still working fine with no moisture inside.

Only thing i would recommend is to use loctite blue on the bolts as one of my fogs did rattle a little loose, but hasn't budged since i added the loctite.

Oh and i installed the "Spot" above the "flood" to help cutoff some of the glare. Seems to have worked great.

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Crew Cab
Engine
5.7L V8 HEMI
Do you have any pictures of the bulb and output?

My only concern is from what I have seen/read, the LEDs with the flat end on them like these do not work particularly well in projectors. The LEDs that are shaped like the Katana LED (flat through the end) work better in projectors from my understanding. Pics attached for reference.

VLED Extreme
View attachment 194853

Katana LED
View attachment 194854

I have the Katana currently, and aside from the 6500k blue color, they are great. I think a similar light at a 5000k would project much better and offer better lighting in the distance, I'm just concerned about the design in a projector. I could be completely wrong though.

I’ll get some pics at night. The 5K is perfect color, I do not use my fogs anymore for additional lighting. If you have projectors they recommend the Micro Extreme. Install LED in at 3 & 9 o’clock position.
“Ideal for low beam projector headlights”
“Capable of producing output equal to 55W HID system”

E6A6841F-3EA6-4C0E-A61C-39BCD19AC721.jpeg

Floridaphil

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Currently have a 2015 sport, and the factory fogs are pretty useless. Trying to figure out which method might be best.

A. Upgrade to LED bulbs in the factory housing (would prefer a yellow fog). I dont think I need to go HID?
B. Aftermarket yellow LED pods in the factory location.

If A - which brand bulb.
If B - is there is a clean install kit that allows for using the factory on/off button?

Not looking for spend $600 on fog lights. Id rather save that money for upgrading to HID headlamps.

Thanks for any suggestions!
Nathan
Go for Led, I changed mine for Philips Lumileds and the light output is just perfect, it’s like having another set of headlamps .

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7

Ramm5.7

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
were these plug and play ?

Well, plug is all I know for sure. My fogs are set to led with alpha sooo...
I futz a minute to get them lined up 9 and 3 but no issues. Bright as hell, light the road edges better than others I have had installed

RamRuss

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Currently have a 2015 sport, and the factory fogs are pretty useless. Trying to figure out which method might be best.

A. Upgrade to LED bulbs in the factory housing (would prefer a yellow fog). I dont think I need to go HID?
B. Aftermarket yellow LED pods in the factory location.

If A - which brand bulb.
If B - is there is a clean install kit that allows for using the factory on/off button?

Not looking for spend $600 on fog lights. Id rather save that money for upgrading to HID headlamps.

Thanks for any suggestions!
Nathan

In my 2006 1500, I tapped into the factory fog wires when i replaced the housing with LED Pods. so if you go the other route and want to use factory fog switch - just cut and tap in a new fog plug connection - you can buy waterproof male and female universal plugs and then tap that into the new pods. Simple, clean, easy, not gaudy switch that you have to cut into dash.

BrewCrew

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7L
In my 2006 1500, I tapped into the factory fog wires when i replaced the housing with LED Pods. so if you go the other route and want to use factory fog switch - just cut and tap in a new fog plug connection - you can buy waterproof male and female universal plugs and then tap that into the new pods. Simple, clean, easy, not gaudy switch that you have to cut into dash.

You can avoid this if you use the SideTracked kit. All OEM plugs.

JimmieRT

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Looking at these makes me want to try the H7 low beam bulbs in my Alpharex projectors. They are available in 5k color as opposed to the 6500k most leds are (like the Katana I have now). I also have the Morimoto LED fogs and the output from them is abysmal. I have been thinking about going to led bulbs in my factory fogs, and these would match the lows if I got both sets. Only hang up I have is $170 is a tough pill to swallow for a bulb no one has tried yet.

https://www.vleds.com/shop-bulb-numbers/h7/micro-extreme-h7.html
I have the same headlights and have the X small cougar H7 and absolutely love them

bigred90gt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I have the same headlights and have the X small cougar H7 and absolutely love them
I ended up getting HID for my headlights. I did order the 5000k led bulbs for my fog lights though. The Morimoto led fogs look good when looking at the truck, but output isn’t great. Hopefully these will be better.

Last edited:

Justin33

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Last edited:

Justin33

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Curious about their long term reliability, I was actually about to order these yesterday and saw they are back ordered til late April. I've tried two other brands with the dual function (3000k/6000k) and they were both fine for a few weeks and then developed a flicker I couldn't get rid of, even with alfa. Not a big deal as I have a backup set that work great (single mode 6000k though), and I've gotten full refunds on each set. If yours are still working without issue I'll try these out when they are available again.
The flicker is the chips going...ive had license plate and map lights from superbrightled and two out of the four are flickering.

JoeCo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The flicker is the chips going...ive had license plate and map lights from superbrightled and two out of the four are flickering.

I'm sure you are right, certainly seemed liked something with the fog light itself considering I have alfaobd to play around with. My single mode lights never give me any trouble, hopefully they get the dual mode reliability figured out, I really like the idea of it.

bigred90gt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I’ll get some pics at night. The 5K is perfect color, I do not use my fogs anymore for additional lighting. If you have projectors they recommend the Micro Extreme. Install LED in at 3 & 9 o’clock position.
“Ideal for low beam projector headlights”
“Capable of producing output equal to 55W HID system”

View attachment 194890
Did you ever have a chance to get any output shots of them?

bigred90gt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Fog light bulbs showed up, daughter asked me to go shopping with her and the wife. I reckon they’ll wait till tomorrow afternoon (golf in the morning with the wife. Priorities).