Upper control arm difference.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

wicked bones

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So iv been searching online and have had no luck. To start it off I'm restoring a 2003 1500 ram 5.7 4x4. Currently running 3 in body and about 2 1/2 inch suspension lift. I'm going thru upper control arms about once a month. Now for the question what difference is there in the upper control arm between the first 3rd gen and the later.(2002-2005)(2006-2009)? Iv found plenty a arms for lifted truck 2006 up.would a 2006 fit a 2003? Oh and while I'm at it can lifted 2wd spindles work on a 4x4? Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Ole Buck

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

2 and 4 wheel drive share the same part number. I just found these. I believe that I am going to take a swing at them. I am eating upper ball joints myself

OP
OP
wicked bones

wicked bones

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I actually had the upper ball joint snap in half this summer. All I was doing was backing out of my parking spot. I will also give those a shot. One more concern is I'm having a wobble and front end shake that I can feel on my steering wheel. Iv replaced everything in the front end trying to find the problem. The symptoms are shaking steering wheel , pulls to right, feels like I'm floating, clunking noise has just started, in reverse as well turning, what's been replaced.
Wheel bearings
Lower and upper control arms
Inner and outer tie rods
Rack and pinion
Sway bar linkage
Snub shaft intermittent shafts
Replaced the front differential bearing seals new oil
Changed our cv axles4 times
Even went with extended travel cvs only to have them go out with in a couple of weeks.
All ujoints replaced
IF Anyone Could HELP IM Begging. I have tossed so much cash at my girl and still can't find the right solution. At times it feels like the tire gonna fall off. Oh also iv done the alignment so many times that I can now do it in my sleep.
2003 Dodge ram 1500 4x4 5.7 crew cab, 3 inch lift on the body and roughly 2 on the suspension. Rear blocks 2 1/2, torsions keys for the front. This truck feels like a curse. I'm at the end of my rope.

olyelr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I actually had the upper ball joint snap in half this summer. All I was doing was backing out of my parking spot. I will also give those a shot. One more concern is I'm having a wobble and front end shake that I can feel on my steering wheel. Iv replaced everything in the front end trying to find the problem. The symptoms are shaking steering wheel , pulls to right, feels like I'm floating, clunking noise has just started, in reverse as well turning, what's been replaced.
Wheel bearings
Lower and upper control arms
Inner and outer tie rods
Rack and pinion
Sway bar linkage
Snub shaft intermittent shafts
Replaced the front differential bearing seals new oil
Changed our cv axles4 times
Even went with extended travel cvs only to have them go out with in a couple of weeks.
All ujoints replaced
IF Anyone Could HELP IM Begging. I have tossed so much cash at my girl and still can't find the right solution. At times it feels like the tire gonna fall off. Oh also iv done the alignment so many times that I can now do it in my sleep.
2003 Dodge ram 1500 4x4 5.7 crew cab, 3 inch lift on the body and roughly 2 on the suspension. Rear blocks 2 1/2, torsions keys for the front. This truck feels like a curse. I'm at the end of my rope.
My gosh that sounds terrible!!!

OP
OP
wicked bones

wicked bones

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
It is. Iv had a lot of issues with my 03. But at the end of the day . She's my baby. Any luck on the upper control arms? I have a question. Does anyone know what the difference is between the 03 and 06 front suspension

pacofortacos

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
From a quick glance at rockauto.
2006 uses coils springs on 4wd, while 2003 uses torsion bars - arms are shaped differently, would they fit? I have no clue

The knuckles are the same between the 2 years on Rockauto, however the parts numbers between 2wd and 4wd are different.

Might be worth taking a drive to a pic-a-part and compare in person.

OP
OP
wicked bones

wicked bones

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thank you. It's insane the difference in prices between the 2 style 3rd gen. 06 uppers are around 150.00 for lifted while 03 are about 500.00. iv also been searching for a lifted knuckles.

MYogurt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
On the same topic, I need to replace my control arms. I have a 2006 2500 SLT, 4WD. I have 2 upper and 2 lower. I've been also considering just getting the bushings. When I look on Napa Auto parts, they only list the bushing for the Upper, no lower. On RockAuto, there are about 12 upper bushings and only 1 lower bushing listed. Are the bushings for the upper and lower control arms the same? Are they interchangable?