URGENT: BILSTEIN INSTALL

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Apiazza

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have my strut apart but can't get the spring moved over to the new strut. I have the spring compressed to about 13" but there is no way I can get the top of the strut back on. Is there a way to extend the strut or am I totally missing something?
60e0b971f72e7d90b5df74dcdd802737.jpg

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Maligator

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hem 5.7
Yup you guys were dead on. What a stupid damn move. Talk about pissed off at myself.

You're not the first there has been a couple guys on here that have had shops install them wrong. Also rember that little washer goes below the upper mount. Had a few guys that shops put that washer underneath the nut and the shaft pushed up thru the upper mount cap

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Apiazza

Apiazza

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
You're not the first there has been a couple guys on here that have had shops install them wrong. Also rember that little washer goes below the upper mount. Had a few guys that shops put that washer underneath the nut and the shaft pushed up thru the upper mount cap

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
The worst part about it was I pulled both struts so I had the second one out to compare to while building them up. I was holding the strut upside down when I knocked the lower support off and the image stuck in my head.

I did confirm I had the washer correct.

Is there an easy way to get the tie rod back on when the bils are all the way up at 2.8" I tried putting the jack under the lower control arm and mostly just lifted that side of the truck probably because the front was under two jack stands under the cross member. I'm thinking of just loosening the bolts and letting it rotate down a bit.

OP
OP
Apiazza

Apiazza

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The top nut on the passenger side is really giving me hell. Nothing seems to be working. I might have to come up with a way to cut the shaft.

shadowhawk

Reaction score
Ram Year
Black metallic 2016 Sport- born 05/2016
Engine
hemi 5.7 with I2 tune
yeah, those top nuts can be a real pain. Did you soak it in a penetrating oil?

smiley

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 2500 Crew
Engine
6.7L Cummins
The top nut on the passenger side is really giving me hell. Nothing seems to be working. I might have to come up with a way to cut the shaft.

Had to torch mine off after 100k of use on the last Bilsteins. Ended up melting my dust boots too.

OP
OP
Apiazza

Apiazza

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Soaked it over night in pb blasted. Ended basically splitting the nut and shaft with a dremel. Seemed to releave enough stress that the impact could then break it free.

Gary2

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have found Synthetic disc brake lube works great here at the salty Jersey Shore. I learned from the top nut on my last Ram with Bilsteins corroding . Now on this truck after reinstalling the nut I brush on the brake lube and a year later I removed it like I installed it yesterday. It does not dry out like anti seize will . I brush it on thick after tightening the nut. Air impact removes the nut like nothing and no corrosion . I know this don't help you now but it will in the future

OP
OP
Apiazza

Apiazza

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have found Synthetic disc brake lube works great here at the salty Jersey Shore. I learned from the top nut on my last Ram with Bilsteins corroding . Now on this truck after reinstalling the nut I brush on the brake lube and a year later I removed it like I installed it yesterday. It does not dry out like anti seize will . I brush it on thick after tightening the nut. Air impact removes the nut like nothing and no corrosion . I know this don't help you now but it will in the future
I grew up at the Jersey shore so I feel your pain. Good idea though.

OP
OP
Apiazza

Apiazza

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'm pretty impressed with the ride so far. Need to get my alignment done still. Probably early this week. The front end is sitting pretty high at the moment. How much should I expect it to drop? I already ordered a set of top gun rear spacers in case it doesn't come down enough.

shadowhawk

Reaction score
Ram Year
Black metallic 2016 Sport- born 05/2016
Engine
hemi 5.7 with I2 tune
I'm pretty impressed with the ride so far. Need to get my alignment done still. Probably early this week. The front end is sitting pretty high at the moment. How much should I expect it to drop? I already ordered a set of top gun rear spacers in case it doesn't come down enough.

I think mine settled maybe 1/4 inch. I too put TGC spacers on.

Skyjockey

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Warlock 4x4
Engine
3.6L
I have my strut apart but can't get the spring moved over to the new strut. I have the spring compressed to about 13" but there is no way I can get the top of the strut back on. Is there a way to extend the strut or am I totally missing something?
60e0b971f72e7d90b5df74dcdd802737.jpg

What spring compressors are you using?? I have a set but once I got in there found out they are too small for truck springs.

OP
OP
Apiazza

Apiazza

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
What spring compressors are you using?? I have a set but once I got in there found out they are too small for truck springs.
Just some rentals from advance auto. They were pushing it on the truck but as long as you are careful they worked fine.

OP
OP
Apiazza

Apiazza

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I got the report back from the alignment and I'm confused. They didn't touch the camber. Am I wrong to have expected them to fix that? 560c56130565e8d51768e61b9c912f80.jpg

Gary2

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Alls they did was set the toe I bet . The slight camber change is probably just a by product of the change in the toe setting on the right side. Should still be a larger difference in the caster setting side to side. Passenger side should be higher than the drivers side by more than the .1 degree that you have now. 3.9 is OK for passenger side but dr side could be lower to establish the better setting. No reason for anything to be in the red with any Bilstein setting

Last edited: