USB Tuner?!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

charonblk07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
F1-A forged 349ci
That is a code reader only, you can not write to the PCM with it which makes it impossible to tune the vehicle.

MagSport

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
You have to buy software to make the tunes and then upload the tunes to a tuner.

charonblk07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
F1-A forged 349ci
Is there a way to tune our trucks with a laptop?

HPTuners now has software to tune the trucks for the most part. They don't have any transmission control but you can tune the engine and it's a laptop based system just like with the GM/Fords that's friendlier and cheaper than Diablo's CMR programming as you only buy vehicle credits so you can have it setup to tune one or two vehicles or pay the full amount and get unlimited access.

dapepper9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L V8
Most go with SCT handhelds with custom tunes sent and loaded on to it via computer then handheld plugged into OBDII port.

MagSport

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HPTuners now has software to tune the trucks for the most part. They don't have any transmission control but you can tune the engine and it's a laptop based system just like with the GM/Fords that's friendlier and cheaper than Diablo's CMR programming as you only buy vehicle credits so you can have it setup to tune one or two vehicles or pay the full amount and get unlimited access.

Neither Diablo CMR or HP tuners offer software for our trucks. The only option for full custom tuning that I've found is by purchasing the software to write tunes and upload them to a tuner that, yes, must be purchased separately.
Hemifever has a link to the software package on their website as the "professional racers package" or some ****.
Disclaimer: if you don't know what you're doing in regards to custom tuning, it's much better to have someone who will write your tunes for you. You run a risk of severely damaging the engine by uploading a typo or a wrong value to the tuner and that will cost you more money in the long run. Dapepper knows, he's had a superchip and now has some tunes from flyin Ryan.

charonblk07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
F1-A forged 349ci
Neither Diablo CMR or HP tuners offer software for our trucks. The only option for full custom tuning that I've found is by purchasing the software to write tunes and upload them to a tuner that, yes, must be purchased separately.
Hemifever has a link to the software package on their website as the "professional racers package" or some ****.
Disclaimer: if you don't know what you're doing in regards to custom tuning, it's much better to have someone who will write your tunes for you. You run a risk of severely damaging the engine by uploading a typo or a wrong value to the tuner and that will cost you more money in the long run. Dapepper knows, he's had a superchip and now has some tunes from flyin Ryan.

My bad, for some reason I thought this was in the 3rd gen forum.

OP
OP
J

jared.hammel

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 5.9L

Thank you! I'll have to look in to a Superchips. In the mean time... A shop out here told me I could fix the death flash issue by clearing all the stored data like emissions and other ****. Do you know if there is any truth to this? Don't want to was my $15 ha ha

Maybe I should just throw a 3rd Gen computer in it ha ha

MagSport

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thank you! I'll have to look in to a Superchips. In the mean time... A shop out here told me I could fix the death flash issue by clearing all the stored data like emissions and other ****. Do you know if there is any truth to this? Don't want to was my $15 ha ha

Maybe I should just throw a 3rd Gen computer in it ha ha

That won't help as the death flash is a timing and torque management tune. It has nothing to do with the emissions system really. Even if that were the case, the only way to remove the emissions system in the pcm is via custom tune.
Also it may be possible to use a 3rd gen computer but besides the fact that you would need a dakota gauge cluster as well as the custom harness and 3rd gen abs module, guess what? You still need a custom tune for it to run. And after you've spent all of that money you could've bought the software and the tuner from hemifever and even throw a nice set of heads on the truck!
I wish it were easier but these trucks are still fairly primitive pcm wise when compared to their third gen counterparts .
(On the topic of the 3rd gen pcm if your still curious for info, pm 98hemi-ram. He knows way more about it than me.)

OP
OP
J

jared.hammel

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 5.9L
That won't help as the death flash is a timing and torque management tune. It has nothing to do with the emissions system really. Even if that were the case, the only way to remove the emissions system in the pcm is via custom tune.
Also it may be possible to use a 3rd gen computer but besides the fact that you would need a dakota gauge cluster as well as the custom harness and 3rd gen abs module, guess what? You still need a custom tune for it to run. And after you've spent all of that money you could've bought the software and the tuner from hemifever and even throw a nice set of heads on the truck!
I wish it were easier but these trucks are still fairly primitive pcm wise when compared to their third gen counterparts .
(On the topic of the 3rd gen pcm if your still curious for info, pm 98hemi-ram. He knows way more about it than me.)

Thank you!!!! I appreciate the info. I'll look into getting a custom tune for now. I'll wait to replace the PCM when I save up my fortune ha ha

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rskew