USB upgrade

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

pdvirgin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
ecodiesel 3.0
Has anyone upgraded the USB plug in the dash? The factory port is such a low amp rating my smart phone and tablet don't like to be charged by it.
Thanks in advance.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
I just use a plug-in USB quickcharger (Qualcomm 3) in one of the 12V power outlets. They do make USB quickcharger that you can permanently install and wire into the truck.
I use this one: Anker Quick Charge 3.0 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01K9MQ8WW

Bent

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
On my truck i found that the usb port that is connected to the radio doesn't charge very well but the usb with the cover charges much better.

radkawi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
Has anyone upgraded the USB plug in the dash? The factory port is such a low amp rating my smart phone and tablet don't like to be charged by it.
Thanks in advance.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Unless you smoke, dump the lighter port and get a USB replacement. Enough juice to charge a tablet and a phone in each port.

FrtUSB.jpg

RearUSB.jpg

NY Andrew

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L V8 Hemi
BUMPPPPP!!!!

Drove 30 minutes with iPhone XS Max in the under arm rest USB port playing music and maps and it maybe charged 10%.. This has gotta be the lowest amp charger.

Honestly though I’d assume that both USBs come from the head unit radio. It’s not directly coming from the vehicles power. Going through anything; computer, clock, radio; will always be slower charging than direct. So I really don’t think there’s anything we can do besides radio swap to aftermarket maybe. Doubt it’s a fuse swap or something quick and simple. Also the radio head unit itself gets REALLY hot. So not sure I’d want to mod the radio potentially causing bigger issues.

I guess if you need a real quick charge then plug in to the vehicle and Bluetooth to radio.