Used axle or diff/gear swap?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I’ve got a 2006 1500 5.7 2wd 3.55 with open diff. Recently purchased an aluminum bass boat that I keep stored in my basement garage. To get to that garage I have to drive up a dirt/grass path. Easy enough when dry, not so much when damp/wet, thanks to 2wd with an open diff. The path does not get muddy, but does get slick as its Georgia clay.

Option 1: Been thinking about picking up a used 3.92 axle with LSD from a junkyard. Going rate is ~$450 around my area for axles with 100-120k miles. Would the LSD help with traction on wet grass and wet dirt? Not looking to go mudding in this thing, just enough to drive through a slight uphill path pulling a 2500-3000 lb boat/trailer. Also worried about stock LSD performance and tendency to go *Boom*. Post 06 models had beefed up C clips with less tendency to come lose correct?

Option 2: Take the 3.55 open diff axle from my spare truck and throw in a Yukon TruTrac or similar aftermarket LSD and upgrade to 3.92/4.10 gears for giggles. I have tools and time to do a gear/diff swap, but have never done one. Cost would be ~$900 for the swap, plus running the risk of inexperience ruining a set of gears requiring time labor and money again.

I would personally prefer option 1 for financial and simplicity reasons, however I would like everyone’s opinions on whether option 2 would make more sense and result in a longer lasting axle and better performance for what I need it to do.

Thanks in advance,
Jeff

NOV87

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
The stock LSD would be hit or miss at that mileage. If you have it rebuilt before installing it into your truck, would be a better idea. Not sure how much more expensive that would be though.
I like option 2 better.

tidefan1967

Supporting Member
Reaction score
It would be easier to put some better tires on your truck more suited to offroad conditions and probably a lot less of a PITA too, or at least that's what I would do. Don't know what you're running now but even the cheapest AT tire would be better on dirt/grass than any HT tire.

pacofortacos

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I would put down 2 asphalt or limestone paths for the tires to grip on.
Depending on the grade, even tires might not be enough, that is a decent amount of weight to be pulling up a slippery grade.

NH RAM

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Tradesman 2500 Snow Chief
Engine
I suspect if it's clay, it's not going to offer a whole lot of traction with two tires spinning instead of one; similar to driving on ice with summer tires. I would try to find some better tires as suggested or modify the area and put some gravel down for better traction. I'm also not too optimistic on an lsd with clutch packs and 100-120k. The gravel option would be the cheapest option if it makes sense for the area.

OP
OP
PuffTheMagicDragon
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I appreciate all the replies guys. Sounds like the used axle is not the way to go then, especially if 100k miles is the limit to their effectiveness.

The GA clay comment seems to have come across as more severe than I intended. There are only sporadic patches along the way. The open diff I currently have actually gets me up the path when slippery, however its a bit of an undertaking and takes some finesse and sometimes multiple attempts in places. I was hoping a LSD would give me that little edge to make things simpler.

I already have 285/70/17 Hankook Dynapro ATMs on all four corners for traction. Not a mud tire, but leaps and bounds above the street tires that were on before.

Plans are already being laid out for a gravel path and concrete slab at the door as well. Was hoping to spend a few $$ and a day swapping the rear axle or diff/gears in the meantime before the major undertaking of laying the driveway. Plus The added benefit of getting away from the 3.55 gears would make me smile.

Thanks again for all the words of wisdom.