Using synthetic oil

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Sims

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
On my 2012 dodge ram 1500 sport does synthetic oil and filter give better performance and fuel economy over conventional motor oil when pulling a camper? Just wondering if it is worth the extra cost.

SyN

6.7L CTD Owner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 4WD - Tow Prep Pkg - Off-Road Pkg - 3:42s w/Anti-Slip
Engine
6.7L CTD
:emotions33:

Filter = Yes a synthetic media filter will be capable of filtering down to a much lower micron rating - so yes better performance!

Oil = Huge can of worms here!
Conventional oil will be easier on your wallet - that is about it.
With rebates - Synthetic oils have closed this gap.

As for performance - I feel synthetic oils can/do handle the heat & cold cycles more efficiently! (A LOT of technical info falls into this subject)
In extremely cold temps - Synthetic oils have proven to have a flow & pump ability advantage.

As for Lubrication Properties - I feel it's a wash!
Tons of UOA have proven neither Conventional nor Synthetic has a True advantage here!
I feel choosing the right viscosity is much more important!

Normally this is decided by just how **** the owner is.

Towing - If you choose conventional oil - I would have short OCIs.
(3-5K miles)
If you choose a synthetic oil - you can possibly extend your OCIs.
(6-8K mikes)

But I would definitely only run a high quality synthetic media oil filter no matter what type of oil you choose.

Mind you: This does not take into consideration the cam/Lifter issue that has plagued the 5.7L - Visit the synthetic oil thread - posted within the engine/performance section.

SyN Disclaimer: This is only my one sided opinion gained from over 37 yrs of worrying about oil & lubrication.

Prepare yourself to receive MANY types of difference of opinions on this subject!
Don't be persuaded by those who preach - Use what I use because I use it!
Your best bet is to choose a combo & after 4-6K miles do a UOA.
Then switch to another combo & do a UOA.

Your 5.7L believe it or not is going to react differently to different combos when compared to others due YOUR different driving style/habits.

Fuel economy: All depends on the driver & the total mechanical condition of the truck.

Good Luck to you - This subject has Never had a clear simple answer.

Last edited:

68PowerWagon

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Laramie 3500
Engine
6.7 CTD
I agree with most of what syN stated above. I live in the mid-west so we get really hot summers & really cold winters. As mentioned above, conv. oil breaks down when it gets really hot & doesn't flow very well when it is really cold. With the limited miles I drive a year I only have to change oil twice a year so the little extra money is well worth it to me. Also as mentioned above the filter is equally as important. There is a thread on here somewhere that shows a comparison. For the money I feel the Fram Synthetic or Wix XP is the best bang for the buck. You have to keep in mind that it cannot reverse any damage the previous might have done to it but will give you superior protection from here on out.