V06 Steering Linkage Recall - Opinions Wanted

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Outbreak

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
I just got my truck back from the dealer after completing this recall. According to the recall description on NHTSA, "If the torque values meet requirement, the nuts will be welded to the adjuster sleeve. If the torque values do not meet requirement, the drag link assembly will be replaced."

I had taken it to the dealer before, because the nuts were loose. When I picked it up today, they said all they had to do was tighten them and weld them.

What would you do? Would you take it back and have them replace the drag link assembly? Or just let it go?

Hugh Johnson

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 cummins
Inspect the torque values. If the torque values meet requirement, the nuts will be welded to the adjuster sleeve. If the torque values do not meet requirement, the threads will be measured. If thread engagement is acceptable, the link will be reassembled, the vehicle will be aligned, and the nuts will be welded to the adjuster sleeve. If the thread engagement is not adequate, the drag link assembly will be replaced.

OP
OP
O

Outbreak

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
Inspect the torque values. If the torque values meet requirement, the nuts will be welded to the adjuster sleeve. If the torque values do not meet requirement, the threads will be measured. If thread engagement is acceptable, the link will be reassembled, the vehicle will be aligned, and the nuts will be welded to the adjuster sleeve. If the thread engagement is not adequate, the drag link assembly will be replaced.

Where did you find that? Both the NHTSA and Mopar site didn't say anything about that? My paperwork doesn't say anything about an alignment.

Never-mind, I just found the official FCA Dealer Service Instructions here:
https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/rcl/2019/RCRIT-19V021-8391.pdf

Last edited:

Rock$tar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7L
im just not getting mine done... Don't think I need to take time out of my day to drop truck off for them to run a bead of weld on a steering part. Add to the the local inspection guide says steering components and suspension components are not to be welded. So locally once this recall is done truck would not pass inspection for me anymore. (No one would actually fail it for that, but by the book it does fail)

I don't think welding it is appropriate. Ill install a new aftermarket link eventually.

I checked mine as well and it was tight.

Tach_tech

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
Where did you find that? Both the NHTSA and Mopar site didn't say anything about that? My paperwork doesn't say anything about an alignment.

Never-mind, I just found the official FCA Dealer Service Instructions here:
https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/rcl/2019/RCRIT-19V021-8391.pdf

It’s in the actual TSB that shows the service procedure. Very few vehicles will actually get it replaced during the recall. At my shop we haven’t had one since the recall came out that met the requirements to be replaced.

Also the dealer can’t just replace the drag link because you want them to or are unhappy with the recall. Your best bet is to get in contact with someone at FCA. They may be able to get something going for you or they may tell you to pound sand.

OP
OP
O

Outbreak

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
It’s in the actual TSB that shows the service procedure. Very few vehicles will actually get it replaced during the recall. At my shop we haven’t had one since the recall came out that met the requirements to be replaced.

Also the dealer can’t just replace the drag link because you want them to or are unhappy with the recall. Your best bet is to get in contact with someone at FCA. They may be able to get something going for you or they may tell you to pound sand.

Yeah, I talked it over with the manager and he explained it all. He also said that if the welds need to be taken care of during an alignment, to let him know. Also, he wasn’t too happy with the welding “fix” in place for the recalls.

Tach_tech

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
Yeah, I talked it over with the manager and he explained it all. He also said that if the welds need to be taken care of during an alignment, to let him know. Also, he wasn’t too happy with the welding “fix” in place for the recalls.

Nobody is happy with it, me and all the other techs at my dealer feel the same way. It’s a bubble gum fix at best. I’m still confident there will be another recall to replace it. The newer trucks have the updated drag link.

So it’s likely a supply issue. They don’t want to take parts off the assembly line to fix trucks that are already sold, so they have this “fix” until they figure out what to do.

22hemi13

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 2500 4x4
Engine
I still check mine. Haven’t been lose yet. Check them about once a month

wyo2track

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 RAM 2500
Engine
6.4L Hemi w/ 4.10's
My steering wheel was gradually becoming offset to the left the past few months. So, I scheduled this recall, got my steering straightened and my nuts welded. First steering wheel I've ever needed straightened in a truck. Between the track bar brackets installed in the R46 recall and now my welded nuts, my front end is starting to look a little cobbled together. I looked under a new 2019 with the service manager and the drag link is totally different. He questioned why it just wasn't replaced to the new style too but explained how RAM wanted them to perform the recall. What a major ass headache to have to grind off the spot welds to work on the front end now and re-weld them again. There's got to be a better fix. This was my 10th recall....guess I should expect an 11th with a better fix.... Man this is frustrating..!! :banghead::flame:

quickster2

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram Laramie 2500 4 X 4
Engine
6.4L
I check mine once a month also. Never a fan of welding my nuts together. What a drag.

stevenP

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 2500 Longhorn
Engine
6.7L Cummins
Just got my nuts welded today. Er the recall anyway. They explained to me that if your drag link nuts arent loose they re-torque and your done. Mine had come loose, due to a bad front tire shaking the crap out the truck for a bout 60 miles. So since my nuts were loose, they had to check the toe in, adjust accordingly.... and them tack weld them.

smurfs_of_war

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Nobody is happy with it, me and all the other techs at my dealer feel the same way. It’s a bubble gum fix at best. I’m still confident there will be another recall to replace it. The newer trucks have the updated drag link.

So it’s likely a supply issue. They don’t want to take parts off the assembly line to fix trucks that are already sold, so they have this “fix” until they figure out what to do.

I'm thinking this must be the case. I reluctantly let them do mine when I had my trans serviced- but only because I like that crew and I know they are just doing their jobs and what they are supposed to do, so who am I to be an ******* about it? Pretty sure it's temporary until their supply chain catches up to start fixing it properly. If not, I am sure there is some really nice aftermarket stuff out there that would fit the list too :)

DeepVee

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins6.7
image.jpeg Welding these is ridiculous. For a few bucks, I bought stainless hose clamps and put one on each side. The nuts can't come loose. Easy peasy.

DeepVee

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins6.7
image.jpeg Welding is a ridiculous fix. For a few bucks, I put stainless clamps on each side. It'll never come loose. Easy peasy...

Tach_tech

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
View attachment 188393 Welding is a ridiculous fix. For a few bucks, I put stainless clamps on each side. It'll never come loose. Easy peasy...

The nuts coming loose isn’t the root issue. The threads in the adjuster are the problem. If they’re oversized the drag link can pull out of the adjuster, skipping the threads.

So putting hose clamps on there may help the nuts from coming loose, it does nothing for the actual problem. Hence why FCA is wanting it welded. Welding the adjuster to the nuts essentially elongates the threaded section of the adjuster and has known good threads on either side of the possibly failed threads.

CoZo6

2021 Longhorn Limited 1500
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 eTorque
Just ask them who is going to pay the extra labor charge to grind the welds next time it needs to be aligned.
When I went for this BS procedure, I asked. That question. $160 labor to do the grinding and $185 for the alignment. Your smart enough to know what I told em!

crazy jerry

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The nuts coming loose isn’t the root issue. The threads in the adjuster are the problem. If they’re oversized the drag link can pull out of the adjuster, skipping the threads.

So putting hose clamps on there may help the nuts from coming loose, it does nothing for the actual problem. Hence why FCA is wanting it welded. Welding the adjuster to the nuts essentially elongates the threaded section of the adjuster and has known good threads on either side of the possibly failed threads.

show me even one drag link thats pulled apart. im betting there was a knee jerk reaction to some incident that led to panick and a blanket recall. i question if fca even has a idea what years, models, batch numbers are affected. people need to realize the remote circumstances the vehicle would need to be in for enough force to pull the drag link apart.

Tach_tech

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
show me even one drag link thats pulled apart. im betting there was a knee jerk reaction to some incident that led to panick and a blanket recall. i question if fca even has a idea what years, models, batch numbers are affected. people need to realize the remote circumstances the vehicle would need to be in for enough force to pull the drag link apart.

Absolutely it’s a knee jerk reaction. Any manufacture tracks each individual part on every vehicle as it’s assembled, so they have a pretty good idea what vehicles have the possibly bad parts. Personally I’ve seen 1 failed drag link that started to come apart.

Even it’s a almost 0% chance of it happening, do you really think a manufacture will take that chance and not issue a recall. Just wait for the resulting lawsuits of people that lost steering driving down the highway?

Even with the remote possibility it’s a huge safety risk. As far as severity of a recall, this is a pretty severe one. I’ve seen recalls for things so minor it’s a joke, so something that can cause a loss of steering is kinda a issue that should be resolved.