V6 Gas Engines?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
There's one mod I'm interested in. Apparently, later Pentastars have an improved intake manifold that flows better than early versions. I believe my 2014 has the older version.

Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
El Huapo

El Huapo

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 4X4 Warlock 1500 Classic DS w/3.55 LSD
Engine
V6 flex
OK, another ignorant question, what is this canister sticking out in front of the engine?

100_2217.JPG
It has one vacuum hose and one electrical connection---that I can see from above.

And it's made in,,,ROMANIA?????????? Sorry pic is so blurry, cheap camera (operator).

100_2218.JPG

Rado

US NAVY VETERAN
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar 3.6 V6
Not sure where to post this question but I see various special topics on Eco-diesels, Heavy-duty, etc. but I haven't found any ?Forum? if that's the right term? made especially for the gasoline V6 engines. Is it in there somewhere and I haven't found it? Please enlighten me if so.
Would such a forum be of interest to anyone else? I started looking for one after reading so many posts about valve/lifter troubles on the hemi engines and began to search to see if my truck had a similar setup to watch out for. It seems not to be a similar valve train to the hemi's in my 3.6 V6, I think I like that.

Anyway, what do the rest of you think of a specialized V6 question and answer area in here?
Wonder if we can get a RAM V6 club in the RAM Club section ?

OP
OP
El Huapo

El Huapo

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 4X4 Warlock 1500 Classic DS w/3.55 LSD
Engine
V6 flex
That is a great idea you had, Be nice to have a go to section !

Yeah, especially if he can just transfer what we've already posted in this one into the new permanent one---if that's actually created. Us little engines that could... ;)

Dave2018

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018,Previous 1998
Engine
3.6L,Previous 5.9L
Oil pump on the pentastar V6 is chain driven with two modes, a low volume/ and a high volume.

https://www.pentastars.com/engines/tech.php

Oil system and engine lubrication

The advanced oil filter system eliminates oil spills, thanks to an incinerable filter element instead of the typical spin-on filters; the filter is conveniently located on top of the engine.

A chain-driven, vane-type variable displacement oil pump adjusts the flow rate and pressure as commanded by the engine management system, which uses a solenoid to drive the pump into low or high pressure mode. For example, below 3,500 rpm, the pump conserves energy by using low pressure; at speeds over 3,500 rpm, the pump switches to high pressure.

A force balance mechanism inside the oil pump adjusts the size of the pumping chambers to alter oil flow. If the oil is cold, the pump reduces the size of the internal chambers. When the oil is hot and thinner, more oil is needed, and a spring increases the size of the pump chambers. This also saves energy.

The pump is driven at a 1:1 drive ratio; its location under the block is more efficient than an on-crankshaft location. An internal, mechanical ball-and-spring relief valve dumps oil into the sump when needed, for conditions such as a cold start with high engine speed. Both pump and pressure regulation solenoid are non-serviceable.

stenerson

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 VVT
Big fan of this v6. Got 267K out of my 2004 Ram/Hemi. I thought this 3.6 would have a sluggish ride but said , "what the heck, let me test drive one." Was instantly impressed. At my age it has all the pep I need. I don't tow anything. Love the mileage, which is almost as good as the used suburu I bought my daughter.

RLJ10X

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
My '14 Wrangler has one of the very few Pentastars in front of a Manual transmission. I ordered it with 3.73 final gears. That thing is awesome. I'm not bragging. I didn't build it. I just bought it.

There was a guy on this forum that had a Pentastar/Shortbed 2WD that he had 4.10s put in. And as soon as he did, he sold the truck. I was dying to hear about how that combo worked out. I'll bet that was pretty quick. I never heard anything about it. That was a pity.

I have a 3.7 V 6 in a Mustang. Ford's 3.7 Cyclone is their version of the Pentastar. It's a whole lot like the Pentastar with the exception of the exhaust manifold. With a CAI,Tune and Headers, a V6 Mustang ain't no joke. But then again, the car weighs just 3560.

I don't hear much about a CAI and a tune on a Pentastar. Has anyone done a tune and a CAI on the Pentastar? How'd it work out.

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
My '14 Wrangler has one of the very few Pentastars in front of a Manual transmission. I ordered it with 3.73 final gears. That thing is awesome. I'm not bragging. I didn't build it. I just bought it.

There was a guy on this forum that had a Pentastar/Shortbed 2WD that he had 4.10s put in. And as soon as he did, he sold the truck. I was dying to hear about how that combo worked out. I'll bet that was pretty quick. I never heard anything about it. That was a pity.

I have a 3.7 V 6 in a Mustang. Ford's 3.7 Cyclone is their version of the Pentastar. It's a whole lot like the Pentastar with the exception of the exhaust manifold. With a CAI,Tune and Headers, a V6 Mustang ain't no joke. But then again, the car weighs just 3560.

I don't hear much about a CAI and a tune on a Pentastar. Has anyone done a tune and a CAI on the Pentastar? How'd it work out.
I used the K&N CAI on my Pentastar. I didn't care for how loud it was but I did keep many of the parts and paired it with the stock air cleaner box. Here is a video of when it was too loud...

Deleting the stock resonator sounds better and I can feel it breaths better without the baffling in the resonator.

No tune though.

Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk

kolya

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
v-6

I have the same set-up in my '08 Sahara JK. It's quick and fun to drive. Almost as much fun as my old CJ!

Marine Les

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001/2018
Engine
5.9 cummins/3.6 Pentastar
The 3.6 puts out almost 1.4 HP per C.I. compared to the Hemis' 1.1 HP per C.I. The little Pentastar beats the Hemi on torque w/1.25 ft.lbs. versus 1.17 per C.I. for the V8. It is a state of the art N.A. gas engine. Back in the 60s a muscle car that put out 1 HP per cube was considered race ready. The fact that I get 22 to 25 mpg weighing over 5000# is mind blowing.

TheEnder

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L V8
I think i qualify for this forum with a 3.6L Chrysler 300, not a truck, but the same engine.

Need i say that the V6/8speed is the fastest V6 i’ve ever owned in a car, beating out my V6 2013 Impala with reliability and quality by far.

Only gripe is the fact that if you push the engine to 1K really fast, seems like the PCM doesn’t know what the **** it’s doing and the RPMs drop to around 300-400 with the car shaking like it has Alzheimer’s. Other than that amazing car!

Sent from my iPhone XS Max in my 2013 Magnum 4.7L V8