V6 Gas Engines?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dls56

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Had a pentastar now a 5.7 hemi. Both are good engines the only thing that concerned me about the v6 was the high oil pressures. Understood the dual pump system but 100psi at start up always gave me the *******. Good luck.

OP
OP
El Huapo

El Huapo

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 4X4 Warlock 1500 Classic DS w/3.55 LSD
Engine
V6 flex
Had a pentastar now a 5.7 hemi. Both are good engines the only thing that concerned me about the v6 was the high oil pressures. Understood the dual pump system but 100psi at start up always gave me the *******. Good luck.

dual pump system?

OP
OP
El Huapo

El Huapo

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6 flex
Anyone have an exploded view diagram of the revised (2016 and up?) pentastar engine they can share?

Rado

US NAVY VETERAN
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar 3.6 V6
dual pump system?
Yea the oil pump is electric and runs low and high depending on load or something like that ! But have to say I also get weirded out with the 90+PSI at cold start :O runs at 40 which I am used to but 90/95 PSI :O
I V6 Thread is a good idea

OP
OP
El Huapo

El Huapo

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6 flex
Yea the oil pump is electric and runs low and high depending on load or something like that ! But have to say I also get weirded out with the 90+PSI at cold start :O runs at 40 which I am used to but 90/95 PSI :O
I V6 Thread is a good idea

I wondered about that too, was happy to find out it wasn't just my engine that did it. Normal-looking pressures after warming up so I'm happy. Is it that strange cannister perched on the front of the engine?
To get a "permanent" V6 gas engine thread, do we ask Pull Ya?

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
I wondered about that too, was happy to find out it wasn't just my engine that did it. Normal-looking pressures after warming up so I'm happy. Is it that strange cannister perched on the front of the engine?
I don't know but I'm ready to post in it!

Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
El Huapo

El Huapo

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6 flex
Having driven both Hemi and pentastar powered Ram 1500s, I don't agree with that at all, but I came from a time when a small block chevy V8 powered truck had like 170hp at best and not even as much torque as a pentastar V6. Young bucks have no idea.

Yep, I can easily remember when any car that would do 0-60 under 10 seconds in stock form was considered to be impressive. This truck will do that with ease and it's a 4X4 TRUCK with the smallest standard engine. What's not to like? If I had to tow huge loads, I would buy a 2500 or bigger, but my stock truck is rated to tow 7400#, more than enough for me. I love my truck. :rocking:

Random_Walk

...what's this bolt do? *plink* ...oh.
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 QC 4WD SLT
Engine
Pentastar 3.6
Anyway, what do the rest of you think of a specialized V6 question and answer area in here?

Aside from a small handful of bugaboos (oil cooler, oil filter rigging, etc), it's a pretty solid and mature-by-now engine - not really sure what would make it unique enough to warrant its own forums (...and I have one.)

I do know the motor has found it's way into every US brand FCA has (Jeep, Dodge, Chrysler, etc), but otherwise there's not much else beyond that. There is also a site that does go a bit extensive on the little v6, and it can be found here: https://www.pentastars.com/

Random_Walk

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 QC 4WD SLT
Engine
Pentastar 3.6
Having driven both Hemi and pentastar powered Ram 1500s, I don't agree with that at all, but I came from a time when a small block chevy V8 powered truck had like 170hp at best and not even as much torque as a pentastar V6. Young bucks have no idea.

LOL - I had a v8 AMC 304 in an ancient Jeep that barely spat out 150hp. The Ford 460 cid motor in the old 1979 Ford F-250 I had maxed out at 275hp. I often get into, err, verbal altercations on different fora with people who snicker and say "you got a minivan engine, nyah nyah!" - only to find out they in turn have some 20-year-old thing with two more cylinders but way less hp (and about even on torque). They tend to quiet down after you point that out...

Haas

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Just to put in my 2 cents, I have a 2018 pentastar, and I'm thoroughly impressed with how it moves that truck around. Of course it's no hemi, but anyone who's expecting it to be comparable to that is not being realistic. My truck does good enough that I would never describe it as slow or underpowered. I think for as large of a vehicle as it's pushing, it's impressive.

OP
OP
El Huapo

El Huapo

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6 flex
Aside from a small handful of bugaboos (oil cooler, oil filter rigging, etc), it's a pretty solid and mature-by-now engine - not really sure what would make it unique enough to warrant its own forums (...and I have one.)

I do know the motor has found it's way into every US brand FCA has (Jeep, Dodge, Chrysler, etc), but otherwise there's not much else beyond that. There is also a site that does go a bit extensive on the little v6, and it can be found here: https://www.pentastars.com/

Well, loads of interesting info in that website. Thank you for that, Random. I have to wonder about the oil pump though. Some say it's electric, the website says it's chain-driven with two modes of operation. I wonder if it changed in the many years this engine has been around...?

OP
OP
El Huapo

El Huapo

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6 flex
I also read in your offered website on engines that this engine has its exhaust manifolds cast integrally into the heads. Some time ago, I asked around on one of these forums which was about warped manifolds, broken exhaust bolts, etc. on the hemi's if that was also a problem on the V6. I was told that yes it was, watch out. So now I'm not so sure about that. But it could still be a problem where the exhaust pipe connects to the head, right?

Random_Walk

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 QC 4WD SLT
Engine
Pentastar 3.6
P
I also read in your offered website on engines that this engine has its exhaust manifolds cast integrally into the heads. Some time ago, I asked around on one of these forums which was about warped manifolds, broken exhaust bolts, etc. on the hemi's if that was also a problem on the V6. I was told that yes it was, watch out. So now I'm not so sure about that. But it could still be a problem where the exhaust pipe connects to the head, right?

Possibly, but I really haven't seen too many folks complaining about the exhaust on the higher-mileage v6 3.6L motors (and good luck getting headers for the later v6 Pentastar engines, because yes, the manifold is integrated, IIRC.)

Random_Walk

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 QC 4WD SLT
Engine
Pentastar 3.6
Well, loads of interesting info in that website. Thank you for that, Random. I have to wonder about the oil pump though. Some say it's electric, the website says it's chain-driven with two modes of operation. I wonder if it changed in the many years this engine has been around...?

If I remember right there's two of them these days, and both are electric.

Rado

US NAVY VETERAN
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar 3.6 V6
Yea when I first saw 95 PSI cold I was very concerned :O Then wars to the normal 40 PSI avg ! Something with the 2 stage oil pump ! But I am old school so this new stuff get to me lol

OP
OP
El Huapo

El Huapo

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6 flex
OK, so what I found out regarding these V6 engines' oil pump---at least for the 2018 models in the Ram 1500's---is that they are chain-driven with an electrical solenoid attachment which alters the volume pumped and I guess the pressure too. It's down in the oil pan like you'd expect. Now maybe there is an electrical pump too, but I didn't find any info on that---yet. Or perhaps the earlier models were all electric?

Why I'm looking for an exploded diagram of these engines.... Still looking :mexsmoke:

Rado

US NAVY VETERAN
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar 3.6 V6
OK, so what I found out regarding these V6 engines' oil pump---at least for the 2018 models in the Ram 1500's---is that they are chain-driven with an electrical solenoid attachment which alters the volume pumped and I guess the pressure too. It's down in the oil pan like you'd expect. Now maybe there is an electrical pump too, but I didn't find any info on that---yet. Or perhaps the earlier models were all electric?

Why I'm looking for an exploded diagram of these engines.... Still looking :mexsmoke:
Good info, If I find anything I'll post up as well. I am really curious now lol . As for making this a permanent thread not sure who is Admin but Jay may know !

tap4154

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 V6

Yes the manifolds are integral and cast with the heads. Have yet to see anyone say the exhaust pipe bolts have cracked on the V6, and there's only 4 on each side.
integrated-exhaust-manifold.jpg Ram Cutaway Manifold.jpg

OP
OP
El Huapo

El Huapo

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6 flex
Yes the manifolds are integral and cast with the heads. Have yet to see anyone say the exhaust pipe bolts have cracked on the V6, and there's only 4 on each side.
View attachment 201390 View attachment 201391

Wow, nice pictures, thanks. The more I learn about this engine, the more I think I lucked out buying this one. Saving pics to my favs, yes.

So next question: Can you share where these pics came from and is the rest of the engine shown like these do?

I also find from rolling under my beastie that the exhaust piping is large for such a small motor---compared to what I'm used to seeing on older cars, even with V8's. So I don't see a big advantage to installing aftermarket headers on this guy---some, no doubt---but not heaps of gain, I think.

So from past experience with Dodge Slant 6's, which had a tendency to loosen up the exhaust manifold after many miles, part of the trick is to have good support for the exhaust pipe going down under the engine to keep the weight off of the manifold. I have no problem with adding a pipe support bracket if it looks too heavy for the manifold connection. With only 4 bolts holding it up, I think I will take a hard look at that---shouldn't have any effect on my warranty I believe. Preventive maintenance is my game.

tap4154

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 V6
Wow, nice pictures, thanks. The more I learn about this engine, the more I think I lucked out buying this one. Saving pics to my favs, yes.

So next question: Can you share where these pics came from and is the rest of the engine shown like these do?

I also find from rolling under my beastie that the exhaust piping is large for such a small motor---compared to what I'm used to seeing on older cars, even with V8's. So I don't see a big advantage to installing aftermarket headers on this guy---some, no doubt---but not heaps of gain, I think.

So from past experience with Dodge Slant 6's, which had a tendency to loosen up the exhaust manifold after many miles, part of the trick is to have good support for the exhaust pipe going down under the engine to keep the weight off of the manifold. I have no problem with adding a pipe support bracket if it looks too heavy for the manifold connection. With only 4 bolts holding it up, I think I will take a hard look at that---shouldn't have any effect on my warranty I believe. Preventive maintenance is my game.

Found the pics on a Jeep Cherokee forum thread from 2016. Not much else there about the engine. They were discussing putting new headers on the Pent V6, which of course is impossible. I don't think I'd add any supports to the exhaust pipe. I suspect the engineers put what they deemed appropriate. May even cause harm IMHO if you stiffen it, when it may need to allow some movement as the engine moves.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jems007