Valve Cover Bolts

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

THRobinson

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7l
Looking to put new grounding straps on my Hemi, since all that's left of the old ones are about 1/2" nubs. Hoping fixes a weird computer issue.

The valve cover studs are very old and very rusty and I am very worried will break. Ideally since the tops are threaded I'd like to put the grounding wire there and just add a nut but not sure if thread good enough to use, and if too rusty to ground properly.

I researched and I think I need MOPAR 6507366AA for the stud/grommet but wow! After shipping it's about $40-50CAD per stud. I've seen a few aftermarket, ARP makes one for example that looks like bolts with undersized washers. Off chance I need to replace a bolt on either side, does anyone know what I need? I'm not sure if in '03 it would have been imperial or metric, or length needed etc.

Does anyone know what the threaded tops are on the stock bolts?

I mostly do wood work, so, I have nails and glue... not a lot of extra bolts/nuts so would need to grab some at the hardware store but I don't have anything to measure what's there with (thread wise).

Daw14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
It’s just a metric threaded stud . Available at any hardware store,nothing special.

OP
OP
THRobinson

THRobinson

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7l
Any idea what size?
I don't want to remove it in case it messes up the seal so I can't check what it is... M6?

Oliver Closehauf

Reaction score
Ram Year
2005 Laramie
Engine
Cummins 5.9
You might want to consider just going with some nice stout battery cables from the negative terminal on the battery to some key points on the body, frame and block.

I used to play around with turbo SAAB's and they were notorious for ground related problems. I ran what could be called a ground spider as described above and all of my electrical gremlins died that day.

OP
OP
THRobinson

THRobinson

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7l
@Oliver Closehauf ... I am more or less.

The old grounds were on the valve cover studs... Can see about 1/2" of what's left of the braided straps. Diagram I saw showed one at the back on the block as well but not found that yet.

Instead of that woven/braided grounding straps, trying to figure out lengths and probably buying ring terminals etc... I bought a ground kit for cheap off Amazon. Thick, nice flexible silicone coated.

Plan is to run one from the passenger side valve cover stud to the driver side valve cover stud, and from there to the frame on the same bolt where the negative terminal connects for ground.

One of the cables I'll run from the + of the battery to the + of the alternator.

That leaves 1 extra cable... Which will go to the block if I find a good spot. Any suggestions?

grounding kit car-Acouto Car Grounding Kit Universal 5-Point Auto Earth Cable System Ground Grounding Wire Kit https://a.co/d/0ucVyet

Attachments

• 642231a037814449ec6b0e2f4eea7694.jpg
    642231a037814449ec6b0e2f4eea7694.jpg
    291.8 KB · Views: 2