VARARAM GARBAGE

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dave Haddon

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
To start with did research and seemed this was a cool mod..WRONG..Got the unit with an extra lid..painted it and prepared install and cut Rad cover. Also bought the recommended pre filter sock. So I am into this for about $600. OK then we put it together..I mean I watch a certified mechanic. The lid will not seat on the front stud..Call Moe's for help he just says he has done many it was attached on shipment you have to ensure the filter is seated..DUH..yea ..my mechanic figured that out ..DUH!..So the mechanic heats the foam to allow the front lid to seat..finally get maybe 1/4 thread to tie it down onto the filter the back end has over 5/8 of an inch of extra thread. So after much fiddling and adjusting and trying to align the seating is still way off. Then we decide to let things squish down without to much pressure on the lid at the hole opening as we do not want it to crack or break.OK flip the unit over on a soft bed with the 1/4 inch holing the front lid area. Then we see one of the studs holding a rubber 14 inch underbelly cover is missing its washer. In addition there is a large flap at the missing washer point and the corresponding point on the opposite side. Also the fron of this rubber underbelly is open to allow dust debris etc in under the VARARAM near the throttle body...Am I annoyed..YEP..what a piece of garbage. passed my comments onto Matt..I wonder what his customer service is like..he answered intial email..no more..tried 8 phone calls..nothing but a recording...So Buyer beware i guess

Attachments

• IMG_0489.jpg
    IMG_0489.jpg
    7 KB · Views: 84
  • IMG_0488.jpg
    IMG_0488.jpg
    10 KB · Views: 80
  • IMG_0490.jpg
    IMG_0490.jpg
    7.3 KB · Views: 73
  • IMG_0498.jpg
    IMG_0498.jpg
    12.2 KB · Views: 81
  • IMG_0499.jpg
    IMG_0499.jpg
    15.5 KB · Views: 81
  • IMG_0500.jpg
    IMG_0500.jpg
    23.3 KB · Views: 81
OP
OP
Dave Haddon

Dave Haddon

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Further to the Vararam issue Matt has explained the heat shield warp look and admits VARARAM missed the washer..no a big deal. I made a suggestion to him to replace the VARARAM with a photo of the screwed down lid in place..whereupon I would return the original defective on...confidence is not high on that Customer Service..we will see.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Further to the Vararam issue Matt has explained the heat shield warp look and admits VARARAM missed the washer..no a big deal. I made a suggestion to him to replace the VARARAM with a photo of the screwed down lid in place..whereupon I would return the original defective on...confidence is not high on that Customer Service..we will see.
I tried to warn you Dave,lol.Why are you putting it on in the middle of winter,have you done the research on them,and seen how they have a habit of filling up with snow in a drifting snowstorm.They also suck once things warm up and the roads get slushy.Keep a very close eye on it,during slushy periods.I had a buddy put one on during a chinook,then roar out to my place to show it off,by the time he'd made the trip through the city,then out to my place in Airdrie,he'd picked up enough wet slushy road crap,that the filter had sagged down on the front,and he had gapping holes,letting all the road crap into his engine.I had to drive him back into the city where we picked up his stock box,then re-installed it on my driveway,so he could drive back home.In my opinion they aren't a great filter set-up,and the ram air they provide,doesn't make enough power differance over and above a S&B or AFE box to justify the head aches.You've been forewarned.BTW quit listening to the internet and getting sucked in by what it's telling you :waytogo:

CanuckRam1313

Reaction score
Ram Year
2023 Warlock SLT
Engine
Hey Dave,
Yeah, not going to lie, when we talked a while back and you told me about your Vararam intake system I bit my lip... I didn't have the heart to tell you that it perhaps wasn't the most awesome purchase. But you were so happy and excited about the old school-ness of it, and I don't disagree that it looks cool as heck!

But its functionality and reliability as a device for better performance, and to ensure you also don't potentially ingest outside air contamination from a compromised design.. well, perhaps post up "Brand New Amamzing Vararam Cold Air Intake for Sale" in the local marketplace and get er' gone for $450 or so, because you decided to go in another direction, and then call it a lesson leardned ;)

I've been there, and a $100 to $200 lesson is cheaper still than the overall results could cost you down the road.

If you need an aftermarket CAI, go for S&B or AFE, hands down!

OP
OP
Dave Haddon

Dave Haddon

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thanks guys..firstly i have not put this unit on. I was just prepping it and the Warlock for when the weather warmed up. The Rad cover is not an issue got another. The slush & wetness factor you speak of Rick I thought ( brilliant mind here ) the sock pre filter would address that. Yep & Yes..my ******** just got kicked around the block. this is a perfect example of MY BAD and nothing to blame but enthusiasm of an old guy

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Thanks guys..firstly i have not put this unit on. I was just prepping it and the Warlock for when the weather warmed up. The Rad cover is not an issue got another. The slush & wetness factor you speak of Rick I thought ( brilliant mind here ) the sock pre filter would address that. Yep & Yes..my ******** just got kicked around the block. this is a perfect example of MY BAD and nothing to blame but enthusiasm of an old guy
A better and cheaper year round box would be the eco-diesal or 6.4 lower box with the 6.4 filter Dave. The vararam looks good,but there's to many disadvantages to it being a good year round cold air kit for Canada.If you hunt around on google you'll find video's of them full of snow,if the truck sits outside during a blizzard,or if it's a windy day and snow is blowing around.Besides how often do you open the hood to show off the engine,lol

Spsully

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I just had to look at their page for details.....
their page has a picture of the "underbelly heat shielding" with to flaps like that. and the front doesn't even sit all the way down in front. Not trying to beat a dead horse or kick you while you're down, but that's a HUGE red flag IMO. Though from the pictures and description it seems the idea is to let air in there from both the top and bottom to create a thermal break. So it shouldn't let air through and into the throttle body. I would expect that some of the filter might see that air, but nothing should ever go straight into the throttle body. Still if I am spending that kind cash, I expect to buy something that fits properly and without flaps that could easily be designed out.

Them using the word intercooled several times without anything even close to an intercooler system would be red flag number 2 in my book.

I'm sure there is a way to do what they are trying to do correctly, but they havent found it. Sorry about the bad experience.

OP
OP
Dave Haddon

Dave Haddon

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Yep toyed strongly with the 6.4 air box..yes how often do you open the hood..correct..it was an eye candy thing..well I've contacted Moe's and enquired about a refund..we will see if that happens for my reasons, and what the refund $$ ends up being when all is said and done and shipped back..IF big IF.... Anyway if anyone has a Warlock pm me and I will send some photos of what I did with the Black lid/....the saga continues

CanuckRam1313

Reaction score
Ram Year
2023 Warlock SLT
Engine
Yep toyed strongly with the 6.4 air box..yes how often do you open the hood..correct..it was an eye candy thing..well I've contacted Moe's and enquired about a refund..we will see if that happens for my reasons, and what the refund $$ ends up being when all is said and done and shipped back..IF big IF.... Anyway if anyone has a Warlock pm me and I will send some photos of what I did with the Black lid/....the saga continues
Eye candy and function from the 6.4 air box mod, and you'll still have change left over ;)
Hopefully you'll get your refund! Fingers crossed for you, Brother.

Attachments

• 20221027_125432.jpg
    20221027_125432.jpg
    180.4 KB · Views: 68
  • 20221027_125444.jpg
    20221027_125444.jpg
    189 KB · Views: 68
  • 20221027_125448.jpg
    20221027_125448.jpg
    147.6 KB · Views: 65
  • 20221027_125507.jpg
    20221027_125507.jpg
    151.9 KB · Views: 63
  • 20221028_094607.jpg
    20221028_094607.jpg
    166.2 KB · Views: 64
  • 20221028_094611.jpg
    20221028_094611.jpg
    116.1 KB · Views: 63

JHoward

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Liter
Well, I admit it looks sharp and it would be something to pop open the hood and show off, but not worth the headache ... especially where the OP resides.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Dave Haddon

Dave Haddon

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So Canuck did you need a different connection pipe? Looks carbon fibre probably expensive.. no? What other extra parts do you require to make it so..?

CanuckRam1313

Reaction score
Ram Year
2023 Warlock SLT
Engine
So Canuck did you need a different connection pipe? Looks carbon fiber probably expensive.. no? What other extra parts do you require to make it so..?

Legmaker Intakes are a fantastic piece of functional art and a known name in the MOPAR community. Each one is hand made to order, and the cool thing too is that these intakes are only made for MOPAR vehicles.

The email I sent you has the links to the other items used (K&N breather filter and Dorman rubber cap for the top of the air box lid).

Zoe Saldana

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4l
To start with did research and seemed this was a cool mod..WRONG..Got the unit with an extra lid..painted it and prepared install and cut Rad cover. Also bought the recommended pre filter sock. So I am into this for about $600. OK then we put it together..I mean I watch a certified mechanic. The lid will not seat on the front stud..Call Moe's for help he just says he has done many it was attached on shipment you have to ensure the filter is seated..DUH..yea ..my mechanic figured that out ..DUH!..So the mechanic heats the foam to allow the front lid to seat..finally get maybe 1/4 thread to tie it down onto the filter the back end has over 5/8 of an inch of extra thread. So after much fiddling and adjusting and trying to align the seating is still way off. Then we decide to let things squish down without to much pressure on the lid at the hole opening as we do not want it to crack or break.OK flip the unit over on a soft bed with the 1/4 inch holing the front lid area. Then we see one of the studs holding a rubber 14 inch underbelly cover is missing its washer. In addition there is a large flap at the missing washer point and the corresponding point on the opposite side. Also the fron of this rubber underbelly is open to allow dust debris etc in under the VARARAM near the throttle body...Am I annoyed..YEP..what a piece of garbage. passed my comments onto Matt..I wonder what his customer service is like..he answered intial email..no more..tried 8 phone calls..nothing but a recording...So Buyer beware i guess
Wait until you find out it does nothing for prerformance.

DILLIGAF

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Well, I admit it looks sharp and it would be something to pop open the hood and show off, but not worth the headache .

Popping you hood open to show a 6.4L manifold is way cooler and it actually gains you HP ;)

Theres no reason that an intake in that price range needs any ******* around while installing.

JHoward

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Liter
Popping you hood open to show a 6.4L manifold is way cooler and it actually gains you HP ;)

Theres no reason that an intake in that price range needs any ******* around while installing.

Absolutely, and adding something for looks and gaining nothing in performance is a waste of $$$. jm2¢

Most think they "feel performance gains'" when adding that cool looking "gizmo goodie" when it's actually in the mind and wallet that "sees" the difference.

But, if it makes them feel good, then that is all good.

danielmid

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Sport 4x4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Absolutely, and adding something for looks and gaining nothing in performance is a waste of $$$. jm2¢

Most think they "feel performance gains'" when adding that cool looking "gizmo goodie" when it's actually in the mind and wallet that "sees" the difference.

But, if it makes them feel good, then that is all good.
Except stickers, those absolutely help HP, even if they're on my toolbox.