Variable rate coil spring upgrade.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JaysFan9292

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hi everyone first time Post. I read alot about the air bags inside your coil springs, but has anyone tried upgraded springs instead. If so how has this worked for you? Thanks.

billyw

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The TTC-1223v variable rate springs will leave your truck a little lower than stock, so you may want to consider adding a small spacer too. They ride great. I found that they didn't provide enough oomph, and went with a stiffer spring. Air bags are a viable alternative too. Lots of choices and choice is good!

OP
OP
JaysFan9292

JaysFan9292

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The TTC-1223v variable rate springs will leave your truck a little lower than stock, so you may want to consider adding a small spacer too. They ride great. I found that they didn't provide enough oomph, and went with a stiffer spring. Air bags are a viable alternative too. Lots of choices and choice is good!
I assume your happy with your stiffer springs. Not too rough of a ride unloaded? The airbag route can be cheaper, but I like the idea of the springs being able to handle the load themselves. And no air leaks to worry about.

jawzs2

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010, 2014
Engine
1500, 3500
I second the 1223v's, depending on how often and how much weight you plan on loading. I've had them on my truck for several years now. They only dropped the rear about 1/4-1/2 inch at most, ride almost exactly the same as stock. I only tow a roughly 7,000 lb TT 6-8 times a year, so for me, they work great

OP
OP
JaysFan9292

JaysFan9292

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I second the 1223v's, depending on how often and how much weight you plan on loading. I've had them on my truck for several years now. They only dropped the rear about 1/4-1/2 inch at most, ride almost exactly the same as stock. I only tow a roughly 7,000 lb TT 6-8 times a year, so for me, they work great
My trailer is about 7500, so I'm pushing my limit. Thanks for the input.

billyw

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I assume your happy with your stiffer springs. Not too rough of a ride unloaded? The airbag route can be cheaper, but I like the idea of the springs being able to handle the load themselves. And no air leaks to worry about.
The springs I chose would be equivalent to the regular 1223 springs. They are stiffer, and when I experimented with LT tires, it was too stiff. But when I went back to P metric, the ride is good, and has actually improved over the last year. The springs have become more forgiving. The 1223 springs will raise the rear of the truck quite a bit unloaded. If I did it again, I'd opt for the 1211. Air bags could be a good way to go too. I don't have experience with them, but many here swear by them.

Cardhu

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I did 1211. put rear up .25 to 3/8 inch. was firmer, tows a 5400 lbs camper great. I did not go 1223 V as i have ram boxs and carry ****. I did not one lower than stock and having the first easy soft coils negated with the weight i carry in the ram box.

you may wish to consider new front shocks like the bilsteins as they will seem soft given how firm the rear is. I'm waiting for the right time to change mine and would probably go with the 1.6 setting to keep rake and level when towing.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
atomota