Vasolene on gaskets

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dhay13

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
2500 6.4L Hemi 4.10's 'Off-Road'
After going through the threads comments, the above is the most accurate in my experience and training. Not GM, but Ford also stated lightly coat o-rings with new motor oil.
yeah I have always coated o-rings with something. Either oil or wheel bearing grease

Dusty

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Had a guy ask me about using a smear of vasolene on the intake manifold rubber o-ring gaskets,and i honestly had no answer for him.I know anytime i've had an intake off and on,i've never used anything on the gaskets,but he got me wondering if it might be something to think about.It's common practice to use vasolene on the injector o-rings to help them slide into place,which makes me wonder about using it on other rubber gaskets.
What's your guys thoughts on using it on the intake gaskets
If he's a car salesman, he's probably use to using lots of Vaseline.

Regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33-gallon fuel tank, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Build date: 3 June 2018. Now at 80939 miles

RamDiver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
yeah I have always coated o-rings with something. Either oil or wheel bearing grease

Most of the O rings I use with scuba equipment get a light coating of food-grade silicone.

I have several large tubs of silicone for scuba gear that also get used on any gaskets or O rings for drinking water-related plumbing or automotive.

I've even used the food-grade silicone on brake caliper slide pins when I misplaced the automotive grease. :cool:

Phillyrube

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
When I was working on Detroit Diesels an old mech used Crisco:. ran down to the galley for a 5 lb can.

PaPitt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L
OK 1ST LIAR DOESN'T STAND A CHANCE.
BUT Back in the day when the 1st Diesel were put into GMC pickup & Oldsmobile.. Our GMC house was having to put those O'Rings on the injectors
THEY ALWAY HAD TO ORDER ABOUT 3 or 4 sets of O-Rings per motor job.
They would ruin every time one was put in place.
Finally the old shop foreman sent one of the young guys to the drug store. & Told him to get a tube of KY Jelly.. & that's what we ended up using ..It was twice a slick as the Petroleum jelly.
WE ALL had a big laugh , about who was going to write the TSB For GMC..
Technical Service Bulletin..