Vibration in 4wd

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MiamiMike

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V8 Hemi w/ torque
Newbie here....

Just got my 2020 Laramie Hemi w/ etorque. It was raining yesterday and I used 4WD High for the first time. The truck was shaking pretty noticeably to the point I felt it was best to go back to 2WD.

I'm thinking I most likely need to get the tires balanced. But wondering if it could possibly be something else?

Anyone else experience this? Advice?

Thanks!

M

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Newbie here....

Just got my 2020 Laramie Hemi w/ etorque. It was raining yesterday and I used 4WD High for the first time. The truck was shaking pretty noticeably to the point I felt it was best to go back to 2WD.

I'm thinking I most likely need to get the tires balanced. But wondering if it could possibly be something else?

Thanks!

M
If it was tires it would shake in 2wd too.

Brand New truck... Take it to the dealer and let them find the issue.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

OP
OP
M

MiamiMike

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V8 Hemi w/ torque
For sure taking it to the dealer. In Miami, tho, most dealers are pretty shady so I wanted to at least have an idea of some things to ask about. It's my first 4wd...

The dealer I purchased from was actually pretty great during the purchase process so I'm hoping their service department is the same.

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
For sure taking it to the dealer. In Miami, tho, most dealers are pretty shady so I wanted to at least have an idea of some things to ask about. It's my first 4wd...

The dealer I purchased from was actually pretty great during the purchase process so I'm hoping their service department is the same.

It ain't just Miami :) I find most dealers shady no matter where I am.

Could be something with the front axles, but they are always spinning regardless of drive mode.

Maybe front driveshaft, its always spinning even in 2WD but maybe it doesnt vibrate until there is torque going through it in 4WD.

If you take it in I would try to keep it in view as best you can....you'll get to see where they are looking for the problem as well as making sure they are actually working on it!

ticat928

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Newbie here....

Thanks!

M

Common with truck part time all wheel drive.

only vehicles that I did not have vibration in 4wd are all wheel drive Jeeps and Subaru.

My worst experience was my first 4wd a new 1997 F150, i test drove it up to 50 mph in 4 wd seemed OK .
But first winter drove to work at 75 mph in 4wd (inconsistant salting of roads due to surprise lake effect) almost shook my filings loose.

Asked dealer what was up , was told vibration was due to no viscous coupling in transfer case, hense part time 4wd.
Reality was even on completely snow covered roads extreme vibration above 60 mph

NorthStar1

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Ram 1500 Big Horn/Lone Star 4x2 Crew
Engine
Hemi 5.7 eTorque
What was your speed when it was shaking?

I’ve heard guys who have never owned a 4WD complain about shaking when in 4WD...doing 70 mph. If your speed was significantly lower, then it will be interesting to see what the Ram tech determines as the cause.

Last edited:

ticat928

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
It was not till i bought my 2007 Tundra 4x4 new that i realized what the Ford dealer told me was BS.
This time i knew better, even though the Dealer complained i would be putting too many miles on it I drove the 3 miles to get to highway

4wd was smooth to 70mph just a very minor increase in vibration at 75 mph
and at 85 mph a level that a passenger would notice, drove it off the lot that day since i was not going to drive 85 in the rain or snow,

This time around i went 2wd to save the 380 lbs of added rotating hardware to maintain

NorthStar1

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Ram 1500 Big Horn/Lone Star 4x2 Crew
Engine
Hemi 5.7 eTorque
If one needs 4WD then there isn’t a reason I can think of why one should be going 70 mph.

4WD does not equal 4WD stop.

I grew up in Alaska and always laughed my ass off at the guys from the lower 48 in the ditch with their shiny 4WD trucks. They’d blow by me at 70 or more only to end up in the ditch a mile or two ahead of me. I’d stop to ensure they were physically ok but declined when asked if I’d tow them out as I figured a little ditch time to think about it might save their lives in the future.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
Newbie here....

Unless the temperature was close to freezing, why use 4X4 in the rain unless your in mud? You'll hydroplane in 4WD just the same

Being the truck is new, I doubt it's a mismatch tire size so it's probably something with the transfer case or front driveshaft.

OP
OP
M

MiamiMike

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V8 Hemi w/ torque
It ain't just Miami :) I find most dealers shady no matter where I am.

Could be something with the front axles, but they are always spinning regardless of drive mode.

Maybe front driveshaft, its always spinning even in 2WD but maybe it doesnt vibrate until there is torque going through it in 4WD.

If you take it in I would try to keep it in view as best you can....you'll get to see where they are looking for the problem as well as making sure they are actually working on it!

Good advice - ty!

OP
OP
M

MiamiMike

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V8 Hemi w/ torque
What was your speed when it was shaking?

I’ve heard guys who have never owned a 4WD complain about shaking when in 4WD...doing 70 mph. If your speed was significantly lower, then it will be interesting to see what the Ram tech determines as the cause.

About 40 mph

OP
OP
M

MiamiMike

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V8 Hemi w/ torque
Unless the temperature was close to freezing, why use 4X4 in the rain unless your in mud? You'll hydroplane in 4WD just the same

Being the truck is new, I doubt it's a mismatch tire size so it's probably something with the transfer case or front driveshaft.

Because it's my first 4wd truck and I wanted to try it...figured that was as good an excuse as any. No other reason tbh.

RandomRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Regardless of conditions it should be smooth and quiet unless you’re turning on dry pavement. My truck is smooth in 4wd at highway speeds and its an HD with u joints. Your half ton with CV joints should be silent and smooth. My truck is so smooth that it’s easy to forget it’s in 4wd until it binds up on dry pavement turning.

The transfer case sends equal power front and rear, there is no differential in it. If you try turning on dry pavement in 4wd you’ll get binding and wheel hop. You most certainly can drive in a straight line on dry pavement in 4wd to test it out. In fact living where you do you should engage it once in a while anyways.

RamCares

Reaction score
Ram Year
n/a
Engine
n/a

Hi @MiamiMike, please be sure to keep us updated on your dealer's findings. If you are in need of any extra support while working with them, our team is just a PM away.

Mark
RamCares

OP
OP
M

MiamiMike

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V8 Hemi w/ torque
Hi @MiamiMike, please be sure to keep us updated on your dealer's findings. If you are in need of any extra support while working with them, our team is just a PM away.

Mark
RamCares

Update:

Made my appointment a few days ago and headed to the dealer this morning.

The service rep wasn’t interested in helping. Said he wasn’t sure if I should even be driving in 4wd at 30 mph and then asked why I was even using it. He then told me it would be 24 hours before a tech could even drive it and I’d need to leave the truck there.

Complete opposite of the sales experience. I’ll try my luck at another dealer for service.

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Update:

The service rep wasn’t interested in helping. Said he wasn’t sure if I should even be driving in 4wd at 30 mph and then asked why I was even using it. He then told me it would be 24 hours before a tech could even drive it and I’d need to leave the truck there.

Complete opposite of the sales experience. I’ll try my luck at another dealer for service.

Sales - yes you to death until you write the check.

Service - No you to death until you leave.

RAMCares is clearly on these forums, you would think they might be able relay your (and mine, and many others) negative experiences to someone that actually cares to fix it, but so far not so much.

tourrider

Grumpy
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
CTD 6.7
Update:

You're too nice. What was to point of making an appointment? I would have cornered the manager to tell him that HIS service writer is an idiot and is telling you to not use the 4wd on your 4wd. I would have been in the show room to tell the sales man that I enjoyed doing business with them but their service department are *****. But I'm old and don't tolerate idiots anymore.

Your truck should run smooth in 4wd. I just ran my 3500HD 200 miles across the PA turnpike today in 4wd. It was a mess with this winter storm of snow/sleet/ice rain, and lots of slush.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk