Warranty question/ Dealership shenanigans

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MrChad

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hello, everyone. I've got a bit of a unique situation I'm hoping someone here can provide insight on. Bit of a long story, but I don't want to leave anything out.

Last summer I developed the lovely rear window frame crack. At the time I was still covered under bumper-to-bumper so I took it to my local Ram dealer. They replaced the entire rear window as well as the third brake light seal.

Couple weeks ago I noticed water leaking from several spots on the window. No cracks. I grabbed a bottle of water and did some testing. If I pour water directly in the channel above the window on the right and left hand corners, I get corresponding leaks. I'm no longer covered by B to B, but I figured the repair work itself should carry a warranty. So I took it back to the dealer. They confirmed that it appears to be a seal issue and if the Tech diagnosis says the same, then it'll be replaced at no charge.

The tech came back saying water was intruding from the Antenna. He said it was damaged and loose. I simply replied, "There was no visible damage or looseness when I brought it in here. I just inspected it last night." I tried to explain that water poured in the corners is no where NEAR the antenna. To make a long story short, they sent me to the service manager who instantly became hostile, accused me of lying and copping an attitude. He refused to allow me to show him that the antenna has nothing to do with the leak. He claimed "If there is more than one leak we have to do the antenna first." To which I contested, "If there is more than one problem it doesn't matter where you start. I can prove the corner leaks, can you prove the antenna leak?" He laughed in my face and at one point took that intimidation stance, getting inches away from me, like boxers do at a weigh in. I had to tell him to step back several times. Anyway, he ended up kicking me off the lot, even though I never screamed, through a fit or cursed once.

I got the truck home and tested more. First off: No visible damage to the antenna and it doesn't "wiggle" the way they described. I sprayed water all over the antenna. I then put a bore scope above the headliner and inspected the underside of the antenna. Not a drop of water. The headliner was perfectly dry. No water in the third brake light assembly.

So, long story, I know. Ram advised I take the vehicle to another dealer. But here is my question: would another dealer honor the work done by that first dealership and replace that seal for free? I know this will be answered when I talk to the new dealer, but they are miles away so it'll be a few days. All they would tell me on the phone is they'd have to inspect the truck first. So just curious if anyone can put my mind at ease.

Anyone else dealt with something like this? TIA

EDITED to remove typos

Daw14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
1-800-247-9753 is ram cares mumber . Contact and explain situation , they may be able to help. Let us know how it ends.

OP
OP
M

MrChad

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
1-800-247-9753 is ram cares mumber . Contact and explain situation , they may be able to help. Let us know how it ends.
Many thanks. I emailed them and was told to take it to another dealership (along with many apologies for the dealers behavior). I replied asking the same question I asked here, but I haven't heard back in a couple days. Will post with updates.

PolarisCobra

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Your previous warranty work should be recorded in the system. If you have the paperwork from that visit, so much the better. They should easily be able to see that the work was done.

I would think that would help your situation.

brian42

Military
Reaction score
The work should be honored by another dealership. They all do "certified" RAM work so it shouldn't be an issue (the dealership will get paid by corporate for the work) unless there was negligence on the original dealership's part. The new dealership won't get paid if the other one screwed up without corporate getting involved.

OP
OP
M

MrChad

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
FOLLOW UP:
Thanks for all the advice gang. Here's what ended up happening. I took the truck to a local mechanic to have the antenna tested. He laughed and said there's nothing wrong with it (which I already knew). So, at Ram's suggestion, I drove the hour out of my way to the next nearest dealership. They inspected and told me it was the third brake light and window that's leaking. I had set up an appointment with their glass company (dealers subcontract glass work).
The glass company tested the truck, again, and found the same. No antenna issue. Here's where things got tricky.

According to both Ram and this dealership, parts are covered under a 2 year warranty. Labor is only warrantied at the dealership that did the work, if that dealership chooses to offer a warranty on labor. So the new rear window would be covered, but I'd have to pay this glass company for the labor. Super nice guys that they are, they told me to call Lithia and ask them who they use for glass. Then call that glass company myself and work it out with them.
So that's what I did. The glass company that did the work a year before came out, confirmed the plastic window frame is cracked (again) and replaced the window under their warranty. Free of charge.
So, for those keeping track, that's 4 different companies, including a dealership and the glass company that did the original work on my truck, that told me the antenna is fine.
Lithia CDJR in Corpus Christi was just trying to rip me off. I've seen it a lot at shady mechanics. They tell you it's one thing when really it's something else just so you have to bring it back and get charged twice. Usually you can call their bluff and get them to fix what you brought it in for in the first place just by standing your ground.... then you're only getting ripped off on the labor and parts price, LOL. But this service manager seemed to think he could bully the customer into unneeded repairs. Boy was he mistaken.
Anyway, thanks again everyone. See yall in about a year when my window frame cracks again. (Seriously, Ram. This is an awful design.)

brian42

Military
Reaction score
Design is not RAM's fault. It's the supplier (who also supplies similar rear windows to GM...that also has this issue).

Corporate does a horrible job with dealerships. They seem to provide guidelines that, if the dealership decides to follow, will be honored by corporate. There does not seem to be any minimum checklist or monitoring done to ensure that dealerships are adhering to any kind of requirements or expectations.

Every vehicle line is going to have its issues but Stellantis has some of the worst post-purchase customer service I've ever seen.

If I didn't think the 5th gen 1500 was head-and-shoulders above the rest for my needs/taste I would not be in a RAM. There are 6 dealerships in my general area (within an hour's driving distance) and only one that I trust with my truck. They have been good to me and fairly easy to work with so I have been lucky on that front. The only drawback is that they are 30 minutes away and the one that's 2 minutes down the road I wouldn't trust to watch my dog while I used their bathroom.

06 Dodge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CTD
FOLLOW UP:
Thanks for all the advice gang. Here's what ended up happening. I took the truck to a local mechanic to have the antenna tested. He laughed and said there's nothing wrong with it (which I already knew). So, at Ram's suggestion, I drove the hour out of my way to the next nearest dealership. They inspected and told me it was the third brake light and window that's leaking. I had set up an appointment with their glass company (dealers subcontract glass work).
The glass company tested the truck, again, and found the same. No antenna issue. Here's where things got tricky.

According to both Ram and this dealership, parts are covered under a 2 year warranty. Labor is only warrantied at the dealership that did the work, if that dealership chooses to offer a warranty on labor. So the new rear window would be covered, but I'd have to pay this glass company for the labor. Super nice guys that they are, they told me to call Lithia and ask them who they use for glass. Then call that glass company myself and work it out with them.
So that's what I did. The glass company that did the work a year before came out, confirmed the plastic window frame is cracked (again) and replaced the window under their warranty. Free of charge.
So, for those keeping track, that's 4 different companies, including a dealership and the glass company that did the original work on my truck, that told me the antenna is fine.
Lithia CDJR in Corpus Christi was just trying to rip me off. I've seen it a lot at shady mechanics. They tell you it's one thing when really it's something else just so you have to bring it back and get charged twice. Usually you can call their bluff and get them to fix what you brought it in for in the first place just by standing your ground.... then you're only getting ripped off on the labor and parts price, LOL. But this service manager seemed to think he could bully the customer into unneeded repairs. Boy was he mistaken.
Anyway, thanks again everyone. See yall in about a year when my window frame cracks again. (Seriously, Ram. This is an awful design.)
I have had family friends deal with Lithia in Oregon and they are IMO crooks, any time I see that name I think what a bunch of crooks....

brian42

Military
Reaction score
Someone started a thread over on 5thgenrams for people to share experiences (good and bad) so others know where to go.

if you Google "5thgenrams Dealer Service Share Your Experience" it will pop up for you. I would include the link but this forum does not like '5thgenrams' with '.com' after it (e.g. a URL).