Waterpump change + thermostat

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Kurtis West

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Going to be replacing my waterpump today.
Brand new gates waterpump.
Will be using same fan clutch as it's still good and waterpump wasnt technically bad. The seal was but decided to do whole pump.

Wondering if yall ever put rtv sealant with the gasket provided or do yall simply use the gasket?

Also, what thermostat do yall recommend running? 180 or oem 210(I believe) truck doesnt tow. Used mainly highways w/ heavy traffic and mudding

Fast69Mopar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
I have used RTV in the past only to hold the gasket firmly in place for pump installation. I normally use spray trim adhesive to hold gaskets in place.

If you are going to use RTV, only use a very thin coating on the gasket to keep it from moving during installation.

For the thermostat, I like to use the 192° thermostats if they are available. The 192° thermostat provides a good medium for me with how I use my engines.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
You can also use never-sieze on gaskets to hold them in place and if you do have to remove the part it will come apart easy.

LoneWolf3574

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Going to be replacing my waterpump today.
Brand new gates waterpump.
Will be using same fan clutch as it's still good and waterpump wasnt technically bad. The seal was but decided to do whole pump.

Wondering if yall ever put rtv sealant with the gasket provided or do yall simply use the gasket?

Also, what thermostat do yall recommend running? 180 or oem 210(I believe) truck doesnt tow. Used mainly highways w/ heavy traffic and mudding
I use just the gasket that comes with the pump and typically I stick with the stock 203F thermostat even though I live in southern Arizona (it gets pretty hot here at times). A good and properly maintained coolant system can handle heavy traffic and some mudding.

10 Break

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
When I replaced mine 2 years ago, I used a light coat of Permatex Aviation Form a Gasket with the gasket. The stuff has stayed tacky to this day but keeps the union bone dry. I used it again when I tore apoart and rebuilt the drum in my front end loading washing machine. My 2 cents.....

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
radikio